[squeak-dev] keeping arrow for assignment operator

12

[squeak-dev] keeping arrow for assignment operator

Ralph Boland
I am planning to upgrade the version of Squeak I am using (Squeak 3.8.1 on Linux) to 3.10.

I realize that the arrow for the assignment operator has been
deprecated and is displayed as an underscore in Squeak 3.9 or later.
So before I release my open source project I will need to conform
to using ':=' for assignment.
But I rather like using the arrow operator because it is easy to read
and I won't be releasing my open source project for some time.
So, until I release it, I would like to continue using the arrow and having
it displayed as an arrow.

How difficult is it to modify Squeak 3.9 or later so that the display of the '_'
character shows an arrow?
I promise that I will switch to the := operator for assignment before releasing, really!

Ralph Boland

Re: [squeak-dev] keeping arrow for assignment operator

Juan Vuletich-4
Ralph Boland wrote:

> I am planning to upgrade the version of Squeak I am using (Squeak
> 3.8.1 on Linux) to 3.10.
>
> I realize that the arrow for the assignment operator has been
> deprecated and is displayed as an underscore in Squeak 3.9 or later.
> So before I release my open source project I will need to conform
> to using ':=' for assignment.
> But I rather like using the arrow operator because it is easy to read
> and I won't be releasing my open source project for some time.
> So, until I release it, I would like to continue using the arrow and
> having
> it displayed as an arrow.

The only change has been in how the character is displayed. There's no
change in behavior. You don't really need to convert your code to ':='
if you don't want.

> How difficult is it to modify Squeak 3.9 or later so that the display
> of the '_'
> character shows an arrow?

You need to 'draw' the proper glyph inside the kind of AbstractFont
you're using. If you're using StrikeFonts, it is not hard. Each font has
a Form with all the glyphs in it.

> I promise that I will switch to the := operator for assignment before
> releasing, really!
>
> Ralph Boland

There's not a real consensus in this area. Many people (me included)
really prefer the left arrow for assignment and will not accept others
to prevent us from doing so. Please don't promise that. Switch to :=
only if you want.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: [squeak-dev] keeping arrow for assignment operator

Joshua Gargus-2
Juan Vuletich wrote:

> There's not a real consensus in this area. Many people (me included)
> really prefer the left arrow for assignment and will not accept others
> to prevent us from doing so. Please don't promise that. Switch to :=
> only if you want.

I usually agree with what you write, but this is simply wrong.  There is
not *unanimous* consensus that left-arrow should be deprecated, but when
has there ever been, in the Squeak community?  However, there is
certainly a consensus.  You're free to use an old/modified Squeak that
support underscore-assignment-rendered-as-an-arrow, but the community
has clearly decided otherwise (please don't make me dig for references,
but I will if I have to).

You shouldn't muddy the waters for Squeak newcomers who haven't
experienced the history first-hand.  Underscore assignment is on the way
out.  Period.

I like the look of the left-arrow myself, but there's no reason that a
pretty-printer can't render it that way; unfortunately nobody has
stepped up to make that a reality.  On the other hand, I look forward to
when underscore-assignment is not only deprecated, but completely
disallowed, so that I can, for example, program OpenGL in Squeak using
identical constant names (eg: GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT instead of
GLColorBufferBit).

Cheers,
Josh

> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich

Re: [squeak-dev] keeping arrow for assignment operator

Bert Freudenberg
On 12.03.2009, at 18:08, Joshua Gargus wrote:

> Juan Vuletich wrote:
>>

>> There's not a real consensus in this area. Many people (me included)
>> really prefer the left arrow for assignment and will not accept
>> others
>> to prevent us from doing so. Please don't promise that. Switch to :=
>> only if you want.
>
> I usually agree with what you write, but this is simply wrong.
> There is
> not *unanimous* consensus that left-arrow should be deprecated, but
> when
> has there ever been, in the Squeak community?  However, there is
> certainly a consensus.  You're free to use an old/modified Squeak that
> support underscore-assignment-rendered-as-an-arrow, but the community
> has clearly decided otherwise (please don't make me dig for
> references,
> but I will if I have to).
>
> You shouldn't muddy the waters for Squeak newcomers who haven't
> experienced the history first-hand.  Underscore assignment is on the
> way
> out.  Period.
>
> I like the look of the left-arrow myself, but there's no reason that a
> pretty-printer can't render it that way; unfortunately nobody has
> stepped up to make that a reality.  On the other hand, I look
> forward to
> when underscore-assignment is not only deprecated, but completely
> disallowed, so that I can, for example, program OpenGL in Squeak using
> identical constant names (eg: GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT instead of
> GLColorBufferBit).
>
> Cheers,
> Josh

Well put.

- Bert -

Joshua Gargus wrote:

> Juan Vuletich wrote:
>
>> There's not a real consensus in this area. Many people (me included)
>> really prefer the left arrow for assignment and will not accept others
>> to prevent us from doing so. Please don't promise that. Switch to :=
>> only if you want.
>>

> I usually agree with what you write, but this is simply wrong.  There is
> not *unanimous* consensus that left-arrow should be deprecated, but when
> has there ever been, in the Squeak community?  However, there is
> certainly a consensus.  You're free to use an old/modified Squeak that
> support underscore-assignment-rendered-as-an-arrow, but the community
> has clearly decided otherwise (please don't make me dig for references,
> but I will if I have to).

This community doesn't even have a consensus on the way to make
decisions. These are not my words, but they say what I think:
"Historically, decisions have been made by the people screaming the
loudest or the longest. We need to work out a way to fix this and to
come to a process by which we can make decisions that are acceptable to
the community at large." Only when there is a process set up to make
decisions, and it is applied to issues like this, you can say there is
consensus. This has not happened yet. And I do really hope it will
happen this year.

> You shouldn't muddy the waters for Squeak newcomers who haven't
> experienced the history first-hand.  Underscore assignment is on the way
> out.  Period.

No it is not. You have no authority to say so. Perhaps the board has it.
But not you. I'm sorry.

> I like the look of the left-arrow myself, but there's no reason that a
> pretty-printer can't render it that way; unfortunately nobody has
> stepped up to make that a reality.  On the other hand, I look forward to
> when underscore-assignment is not only deprecated, but completely
> disallowed, so that I can, for example, program OpenGL in Squeak using
> identical constant names (eg: GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT instead of
> GLColorBufferBit).
>
> Cheers,
> Josh

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: [squeak-dev] keeping arrow for assignment operator

Gary Chambers-4

>>> There's not a real consensus in this area. Many people (me included)
>>> really prefer the left arrow for assignment and will not accept others
>>> to prevent us from doing so. Please don't promise that. Switch to :=
>>> only if you want.
>>>

>> I usually agree with what you write, but this is simply wrong.  There is
>> not *unanimous* consensus that left-arrow should be deprecated, but when
>> has there ever been, in the Squeak community?  However, there is
>> certainly a consensus.  You're free to use an old/modified Squeak that
>> support underscore-assignment-rendered-as-an-arrow, but the community
>> has clearly decided otherwise (please don't make me dig for references,
>> but I will if I have to).
>>
> This community doesn't even have a consensus on the way to make decisions.
> These are not my words, but they say what I think: "Historically,
> decisions have been made by the people screaming the loudest or the
> longest. We need to work out a way to fix this and to come to a process by
> which we can make decisions that are acceptable to the community at
> large." Only when there is a process set up to make decisions, and it is
> applied to issues like this, you can say there is consensus. This has not
> happened yet. And I do really hope it will happen this year.
>
>> You shouldn't muddy the waters for Squeak newcomers who haven't
>> experienced the history first-hand.  Underscore assignment is on the way
>> out.  Period.
>>

> No it is not. You have no authority to say so. Perhaps the board has it.
> But not you. I'm sorry.
>
>> I like the look of the left-arrow myself, but there's no reason that a
>> pretty-printer can't render it that way; unfortunately nobody has
>> stepped up to make that a reality.  On the other hand, I look forward to
>> when underscore-assignment is not only deprecated, but completely
>> disallowed, so that I can, for example, program OpenGL in Squeak using
>> identical constant names (eg: GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT instead of
>> GLColorBufferBit).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Josh
>>

> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich

Re: [squeak-dev] keeping arrow for assignment operator

Joshua Gargus-2
I don't have time for this; this is my last response.

Juan Vuletich wrote:

> Joshua Gargus wrote:
>> Juan Vuletich wrote:
>>
>>> There's not a real consensus in this area. Many people (me included)
>>> really prefer the left arrow for assignment and will not accept others
>>> to prevent us from doing so. Please don't promise that. Switch to :=
>>> only if you want.
>>>

>> I usually agree with what you write, but this is simply wrong.  There is
>> not *unanimous* consensus that left-arrow should be deprecated, but when
>> has there ever been, in the Squeak community?  However, there is
>> certainly a consensus.  You're free to use an old/modified Squeak that
>> support underscore-assignment-rendered-as-an-arrow, but the community
>> has clearly decided otherwise (please don't make me dig for references,
>> but I will if I have to).
>>
> This community doesn't even have a consensus on the way to make
> decisions. These are not my words, but they say what I think:
> "Historically, decisions have been made by the people screaming the
> loudest or the longest. We need to work out a way to fix this and to
> come to a process by which we can make decisions that are acceptable
> to the community at large."

Even if that's generally true, that doesn't mean that every single
decision is made that way.

> Only when there is a process set up to make decisions, and it is
> applied to issues like this, you can say there is consensus. This has
> not happened yet. And I do really hope it will happen this year.

That would be great.  For questions like this, it would be interesting
to try some form of direct democracy.  Perhaps for next years election,
we could have a plebiscite on some issues like this.  The whole
community could vote "yes", "no", and "don't care" to this and other
questions, and the issue would be settled once and for all.  I could be
wrong, but I think that you'd be unhappy with the result for this
particular question ;-)

>> You shouldn't muddy the waters for Squeak newcomers who haven't
>> experienced the history first-hand.  Underscore assignment is on the way
>> out.  Period.
>>

> No it is not. You have no authority to say so. Perhaps the board has it.

"Perhaps the board?"  Who else besides our elected representatives?

> But not you. I'm sorry.

It's not just me.  The 3.9 release team had the authority to say so, and
they clearly intended to move away from underscores.  Unfortunately,
there wasn't follow-through on the proposal to adopt the
#allowUnderscoreAssignments from Croquet.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-April/103210.html

Over and out,
Josh

>> I like the look of the left-arrow myself, but there's no reason that a
>> pretty-printer can't render it that way; unfortunately nobody has
>> stepped up to make that a reality.  On the other hand, I look forward to
>> when underscore-assignment is not only deprecated, but completely
>> disallowed, so that I can, for example, program OpenGL in Squeak using
>> identical constant names (eg: GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT instead of
>> GLColorBufferBit).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Josh
>>

> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich

[squeak-dev] Re: keeping arrow for assignment operator

Nicolas Cellier-3
Joshua Gargus <schwa <at> fastmail.us> writes:

> we could have a plebiscite on some issues like this.  The whole
> community could vote "yes", "no", and "don't care" to this and other
> questions, and the issue would be settled once and for all.  I could be
> wrong, but I think that you'd be unhappy with the result for this
> particular question

I strongly prefer leftArrow for expressivity, readability...
...and for avoiding stupid errors like myTemp = 2.

But I consider external world reasons stronger:
- external fonts
- external encoding
- other dialects

The underscore statu quo is just crazy.
I would vote for suppression from modern Squeak, sorry Juan...

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: keeping arrow for assignment operator

Simon Kirk-4
If, as Bert implied in the other "left arrow related" thread, Shout
can render the := as a left arrow, then we get the best of both
worlds, no?

Problem is that I've never seen this behaviour. Can anybody verify
whether it's actually true?

Cheers,
Simon

On 12 Mar 2009, at 19:50, nicolas cellier wrote:

> Joshua Gargus <schwa <at> fastmail.us> writes:
>
>> we could have a plebiscite on some issues like this.  The whole
>> community could vote "yes", "no", and "don't care" to this and other
>> questions, and the issue would be settled once and for all.  I
>> could be
>> wrong, but I think that you'd be unhappy with the result for this
>> particular question
>>

> I strongly prefer leftArrow for expressivity, readability...
> ...and for avoiding stupid errors like myTemp = 2.
>
> But I consider external world reasons stronger:
> - external fonts
> - external encoding
> - other dialects
>
> The underscore statu quo is just crazy.
> I would vote for suppression from modern Squeak, sorry Juan...

Consider your responsibility to the environment - think before you print!

******************************************************************************************************************************************
This email is from Pinesoft Limited. Its contents are confidential to the intended recipient(s) at the email address(es) to which it has been addressed. It may not be disclosed to or used by anyone other than the addressee(s), nor may it be copied in anyway. If received in error, please contact the sender, then delete it from your system. Although this email and attachments are believed to be free of virus, or any other defect which might affect any computer or IT system into which they are received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they are virus free and no responsibility is accepted by Pinesoft for any loss or damage arising in any way from receipt or use thereof. *******************************************************************************************************************************************

Pinesoft Limited are registered in England, Registered number: 2914825. Registered office: 266-268 High Street, Waltham Cross, Herts, EN8 7EA

[squeak-dev] Re: keeping arrow for assignment operator

Andreas.Raab
Juan Vuletich wrote:
> This community doesn't even have a consensus on the way to make
> decisions. These are not my words, but they say what I think:
> "Historically, decisions have been made by the people screaming the
> loudest or the longest. We need to work out a way to fix this and to
> come to a process by which we can make decisions that are acceptable to
> the community at large." Only when there is a process set up to make
> decisions, and it is applied to issues like this, you can say there is
> consensus. This has not happened yet. And I do really hope it will
> happen this year.

Me too. I'll even go out on a limp here and attempt to make a proposal:
I think that in most situations both sides of an issue honestly believe
that their opinion is the majority opinion. And that both sides cannot
possibly fathom the idea that their view might be a vanishingly small
minority opinion, where the opposing party pretty much sees that as a given.

So perhaps a starting point is to try to replace screaming with getting
a better picture about what the opinions on an issue really are. In
other words, for potentially controversial issues we (the board) could
organize a poll if there is an actionable proposal on the table. The
board could then use the result of the poll as a guide to see whether to
approve the proposal or not.

How do people feel about this? Would this be an acceptable way to come
to a conclusion? The idea is that someone *will* make a decision (the
board) but only if there is a concrete proposal on the table which
necessitates the decision, guided by the community opinion. It doesn't
mean that all proposals get polled but for the controversial ones I
think this could really help both sides understand whether or not the
(mostly silent) majority agrees with them or not.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: keeping arrow for assignment operator

Colin Putney
Andreas Raab wrote:

> How do people feel about this? Would this be an acceptable way to come
> to a conclusion? The idea is that someone *will* make a decision (the
> board) but only if there is a concrete proposal on the table which
> necessitates the decision, guided by the community opinion. It doesn't
> mean that all proposals get polled but for the controversial ones I
> think this could really help both sides understand whether or not the
> (mostly silent) majority agrees with them or not.

I like it. The board has to make it clear that they're gathering
information from the community, not holding a referendum, but I think it
could do a lot of good.

Colin

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: keeping arrow for assignment operator

David T. Lewis
On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 07:36:20PM -0700, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Juan Vuletich wrote:
> >This community doesn't even have a consensus on the way to make
> >decisions. These are not my words, but they say what I think:
> >"Historically, decisions have been made by the people screaming the
> >loudest or the longest. We need to work out a way to fix this and to
> >come to a process by which we can make decisions that are acceptable to
> >the community at large." Only when there is a process set up to make
> >decisions, and it is applied to issues like this, you can say there is
> >consensus. This has not happened yet. And I do really hope it will
> >happen this year.
>
> Me too. I'll even go out on a limp here and attempt to make a proposal:
> I think that in most situations both sides of an issue honestly believe
> that their opinion is the majority opinion. And that both sides cannot
> possibly fathom the idea that their view might be a vanishingly small
> minority opinion, where the opposing party pretty much sees that as a given.
>
> So perhaps a starting point is to try to replace screaming with getting
> a better picture about what the opinions on an issue really are. In
> other words, for potentially controversial issues we (the board) could
> organize a poll if there is an actionable proposal on the table. The
> board could then use the result of the poll as a guide to see whether to
> approve the proposal or not.
>
> How do people feel about this? Would this be an acceptable way to come
> to a conclusion? The idea is that someone *will* make a decision (the
> board) but only if there is a concrete proposal on the table which
> necessitates the decision, guided by the community opinion. It doesn't
> mean that all proposals get polled but for the controversial ones I
> think this could really help both sides understand whether or not the
> (mostly silent) majority agrees with them or not.

I like the idea of taking a poll to get a picture of what the opinions
on an issue really are. I also think that it should be clearly understood
that the outcome of the poll is not binding, but is (as you said) a guide
to be used by the board in making a decision. Occasionally the board
may make unpopular decisions; that is part of what we have entrusted
you to do. So I like the proposal, given that the poll is clearly treated
as guidance and nothing more.

Dave

p.s. I have nothing against democratic processes, I just don't want to
end up with :_= as the assignment operator ;)

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: keeping arrow for assignment operator

Phil B
On Mar 12, 2009, at 10:36 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Juan Vuletich wrote:
>> This community doesn't even have a consensus on the way to make
>> decisions. These are not my words, but they say what I think:
>> "Historically, decisions have been made by the people screaming the
>> loudest or the longest. We need to work out a way to fix this and
>> to come to a process by which we can make decisions that are
>> acceptable to the community at large." Only when there is a process
>> set up to make decisions, and it is applied to issues like this,
>> you can say there is consensus. This has not happened yet. And I do
>> really hope it will happen this year.
>
> Me too. I'll even go out on a limp here and attempt to make a
> proposal: I think that in most situations both sides of an issue
> honestly believe that their opinion is the majority opinion. And
> that both sides cannot possibly fathom the idea that their view
> might be a vanishingly small minority opinion, where the opposing
> party pretty much sees that as a given.
>
> So perhaps a starting point is to try to replace screaming with
> getting a better picture about what the opinions on an issue really
> are. In other words, for potentially controversial issues we (the
> board) could organize a poll if there is an actionable proposal on
> the table. The board could then use the result of the poll as a
> guide to see whether to approve the proposal or not.
>
> How do people feel about this? Would this be an acceptable way to
> come to a conclusion? The idea is that someone *will* make a
> decision (the board) but only if there is a concrete proposal on the
> table which necessitates the decision, guided by the community
> opinion. It doesn't mean that all proposals get polled but for the
> controversial ones I think this could really help both sides
> understand whether or not the (mostly silent) majority agrees with
> them or not.
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

What you are describing is basically a proposal->comment period-
 >voting process that seems like a sensible way to proceed.  Though
you might want to think about having the board always making a call
(unless it's absolutely necessary that some action be taken) in the
event of a split vote (and what constitutes a majority opinion)... if
there is no clear consensus and nothing *needs* to be done, sometimes
no action is the right course.

Thanks,
Phil

Re: [squeak-dev] keeping arrow for assignment operator

Edgar J. De Cleene

On 3/12/09 3:33 PM, "Juan Vuletich" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Joshua Gargus wrote:
>> Juan Vuletich wrote:
>>
>>> There's not a real consensus in this area. Many people (me included)
>>> really prefer the left arrow for assignment and will not accept others
>>> to prevent us from doing so. Please don't promise that. Switch to :=
>>> only if you want.
>>>

>> I usually agree with what you write, but this is simply wrong.  There is
>> not *unanimous* consensus that left-arrow should be deprecated, but when
>> has there ever been, in the Squeak community?  However, there is
>> certainly a consensus.  You're free to use an old/modified Squeak that
>> support underscore-assignment-rendered-as-an-arrow, but the community
>> has clearly decided otherwise (please don't make me dig for references,
>> but I will if I have to).
>>

> This community doesn't even have a consensus on the way to make
> decisions. These are not my words, but they say what I think:
> "Historically, decisions have been made by the people screaming the
> loudest or the longest. We need to work out a way to fix this and to
> come to a process by which we can make decisions that are acceptable to
> the community at large." Only when there is a process set up to make
> decisions, and it is applied to issues like this, you can say there is
> consensus. This has not happened yet. And I do really hope it will
> happen this year.
>
>> You shouldn't muddy the waters for Squeak newcomers who haven't
>> experienced the history first-hand.  Underscore assignment is on the way
>> out.  Period.
>>

> No it is not. You have no authority to say so. Perhaps the board has it.
> But not you. I'm sorry.
>
>> I like the look of the left-arrow myself, but there's no reason that a
>> pretty-printer can't render it that way; unfortunately nobody has
>> stepped up to make that a reality.  On the other hand, I look forward to
>> when underscore-assignment is not only deprecated, but completely
>> disallowed, so that I can, for example, program OpenGL in Squeak using
>> identical constant names (eg: GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT instead of
>> GLColorBufferBit).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Josh
>>

> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich

Para nque te calentas Juan ?
No vale la pena gritar cuando nadie escucha...

Edgar

P.S. Si tuviera tiempo que no tengo, me dedicaria mas a Morphic 3.0

On 12.03.2009, at 21:01, Simon Kirk wrote:

> If, as Bert implied in the other "left arrow related" thread, Shout
> can render the := as a left arrow, then we get the best of both
> worlds, no?
>
> Problem is that I've never seen this behaviour. Can anybody verify
> whether it's actually true?

If it's not there it surely can't be that hard to code it up ;)

- Bert -

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: keeping arrow for assignment operator

Stéphane Rollandin
Andreas Raab a écrit :

> So perhaps a starting point is to try to replace screaming with getting
> a better picture about what the opinions on an issue really are. In
> other words, for potentially controversial issues we (the board) could
> organize a poll if there is an actionable proposal on the table. The
> board could then use the result of the poll as a guide to see whether to
> approve the proposal or not.
>
> How do people feel about this? Would this be an acceptable way to come
> to a conclusion? The idea is that someone *will* make a decision (the
> board) but only if there is a concrete proposal on the table which
> necessitates the decision, guided by the community opinion. It doesn't
> mean that all proposals get polled but for the controversial ones I
> think this could really help both sides understand whether or not the
> (mostly silent) majority agrees with them or not.

+ 1

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: keeping arrow for assignment operator

Julian Fitzell-2
On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 3:36 AM, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:
> How do people feel about this? Would this be an acceptable way to come to a
> conclusion? The idea is that someone *will* make a decision (the board) but
> only if there is a concrete proposal on the table which necessitates the
> decision, guided by the community opinion. It doesn't mean that all
> proposals get polled but for the controversial ones I think this could
> really help both sides understand whether or not the (mostly silent)
> majority agrees with them or not.

Maybe we should have a poll... :)

Julian

RE: [squeak-dev] Re: keeping arrow for assignment operator

Andrew Tween
Hi Simon,

> From: [hidden email]

> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [squeak-dev] Re: keeping arrow for assignment operator
> Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 20:01:18 +0000
>
> If, as Bert implied in the other "left arrow related" thread, Shout
> can render the := as a left arrow, then we get the best of both
> worlds, no?
>
> Problem is that I've never seen this behaviour. Can anybody verify
> whether it's actually true?

It is controlled by a Preference - syntaxHighlightingAsYouTypeLeftArrowAssignment.

There is a corresponding Preference - syntaxHighlightingAsYouTypeAnsiAssignment , which changes _ to :=

(If both these preferences are false, then the method source is not transformed)

Cheers,
Andy

Windows Live Messenger just got better. Find out more!

Andreas Raab wrote:

> Juan Vuletich wrote:
>> This community doesn't even have a consensus on the way to make
>> decisions. These are not my words, but they say what I think:
>> "Historically, decisions have been made by the people screaming the
>> loudest or the longest. We need to work out a way to fix this and to
>> come to a process by which we can make decisions that are acceptable
>> to the community at large." Only when there is a process set up to
>> make decisions, and it is applied to issues like this, you can say
>> there is consensus. This has not happened yet. And I do really hope
>> it will happen this year.
>
> Me too. I'll even go out on a limp here and attempt to make a
> proposal: I think that in most situations both sides of an issue
> honestly believe that their opinion is the majority opinion. And that
> both sides cannot possibly fathom the idea that their view might be a
> vanishingly small minority opinion, where the opposing party pretty
> much sees that as a given.
>
> So perhaps a starting point is to try to replace screaming with
> getting a better picture about what the opinions on an issue really
> are. In other words, for potentially controversial issues we (the
> board) could organize a poll if there is an actionable proposal on the
> table. The board could then use the result of the poll as a guide to
> see whether to approve the proposal or not.
>
> How do people feel about this? Would this be an acceptable way to come
> to a conclusion? The idea is that someone *will* make a decision (the
> board) but only if there is a concrete proposal on the table which
> necessitates the decision, guided by the community opinion. It doesn't
> mean that all proposals get polled but for the controversial ones I
> think this could really help both sides understand whether or not the
> (mostly silent) majority agrees with them or not.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

Yes!

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: [squeak-dev] keeping arrow for assignment operator

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Edgar,

Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> Para nque te calentas Juan ?
> No vale la pena gritar cuando nadie escucha...
>
> Edgar
>
> P.S. Si tuviera tiempo que no tengo, me dedicaria mas a Morphic 3.0

Perhaps this was intended to be private, but as you sent it to squeak-dev...

Thanks for your words, but I don't agree with you here. I believe my
points were very well taken. And I really believe we'll have a process
to make decisions even when not everybody thinks the same.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

12