squeak.org - next iteration

12

squeak.org - next iteration

Chris Cunnington
http://box3.squeak.org:8624
http://box3.squeak.org:8624/error

This is the next iteration of the squeak.org image. It's getting closer
to completion, I think. There is a nascent error message.

(If anyone is wondering about attribution for that image, I looked at
the site it came from [1] and I do not see how it is supposed to be
attributed. AFAICT, the maker has not indicated who they are or how they
want to be attributed.).

The image is running on box3, not box4, because I get this lovely error:

chriscunnington@squeak-box4:~$
ioLoadModule(/home/chriscunnington/coglinux/lib/squeak/4.0-2640/libcrypto.so):
   /home/chriscunnington/coglinux/lib/squeak/4.0-2640/libcrypto.so:
wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

Something 32 is not playing well with something 64. Perhaps I need to
install a 32-bit version of libcrypto.so on box4?

In any event, this squeak.org image cannot be deployed on box4 behind a
server until it has been decided what server (Apache or nginx) will be
used. Once I am informed what the methodology for deploying an image on
box4 has been decided upon, I'll resume working on this.

As box3 is of limited capacity and doesn't need to be overburdened by
this squeak.org image for a long period of time, I'll take this down
tomorrow.

Chris

[1] http://www.officialpsds.com/Hole-in-Paper-3-PSD50497.html

Re: squeak.org - next iteration

timrowledge

On 24-01-2013, at 10:10 AM, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://box3.squeak.org:8624

I rather like it. Good stuff. Now we collectively need to build out some decent content to justify it.

tim
Advanced design: Upper management doesn't understand it.

Re: squeak.org - next iteration

Frank Shearar-3
On 24 January 2013 18:10, Chris Cunnington
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://box3.squeak.org:8624
> http://box3.squeak.org:8624/error
>
> This is the next iteration of the squeak.org image. It's getting closer to
> completion, I think.

Nice clean look! Also, you were quite right about choosing the
background: I do indeed get a little thrill every time I see it.

frank

Re: squeak.org - next iteration

Ken G. Brown
Suggestion:
Is there any way to get the www site to display in full form on a mobile device? I often find it helpful to display www sites on iPhone just as they would look on a regular browser, it is disconcerting for a user to be forced to view only with mobile format and no option.

Ken,
from my iPhone

On 2013-01-24, at 11:46, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 24 January 2013 18:10, Chris Cunnington
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> http://box3.squeak.org:8624
>> http://box3.squeak.org:8624/error
>>
>> This is the next iteration of the squeak.org image. It's getting closer to
>> completion, I think.
>
> Nice clean look! Also, you were quite right about choosing the
> background: I do indeed get a little thrill every time I see it.
>
> frank

Re: squeak.org - next iteration

Bert Freudenberg
On 24.01.2013, at 10:10, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:

http://box3.squeak.org:8624/error
There is a nascent error message.

(If anyone is wondering about attribution for that image, I looked at the site it came from [1] and I do not see how it is supposed to be attributed. AFAICT, the maker has not indicated who they are or how they want to be attributed.).
[1] http://www.officialpsds.com/Hole-in-Paper-3-PSD50497.html

It's great that you adopted my idea for the error page look. But it does not yet have that "ripped-open" feel, because in your version the inner shadows are missing, and the outer ones do not look smooth enough. Here are both for comparison again:

IMHO the error page should not have any of the frames but just a plain background and the hole in the middle (the nav bar is fine on top). And maybe 260 KBytes for an error image is a bit much? Mine is 20 KByte. I'm old-fashioned I guess, a quarter mega byte seems large to me ;)

As for proper attribution, a small-print footer in the lower right corner should suffice (e.g. "graphic based on artwork by AMENAZAGFX").

- Bert -

PS: Perhaps proving my point above, the first version of this email bounced due to excessive size. Had to rescale your image, and save as jpeg.

On 2013-01-24 2:32 PM, Ken G. Brown wrote:
> Suggestion:
> Is there any way to get the www site to display in full form on a mobile device? I often find it helpful to display www sites on iPhone just as they would look on a regular browser, it is disconcerting for a user to be forced to view only with mobile format and no option.
>
> Ken,
> from my iPhone
Mmm, I imagine there's a way. But it's not readily available. The
Responsive Design philosophy is to have a bendy, flexible site that
pours itself into the shape of the screen. The regular page would be
kind of small wouldn't it?

Chris

Re: squeak.org - next iteration

Ken G. Brown
The browser on iPhone normally allows pinch zoom and scroll around easily so it usually works pretty good with a full site unless the site tries to be overly smart about it talking to a mobile device and to my mind it is usually in a negative direction.
If only it had a link to the full site, and then not do anything special for mobile, it would be good on iPhone I think.

Ken,
from my iPhone

On 2013-01-24 2:33 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
On 24.01.2013, at 10:10, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:

http://box3.squeak.org:8624/error
There is a nascent error message.

(If anyone is wondering about attribution for that image, I looked at the site it came from [1] and I do not see how it is supposed to be attributed. AFAICT, the maker has not indicated who they are or how they want to be attributed.).
[1] http://www.officialpsds.com/Hole-in-Paper-3-PSD50497.html

It's great that you adopted my idea for the error page look. But it does not yet have that "ripped-open" feel, because in your version the inner shadows are missing, and the outer ones do not look smooth enough. Here are both for comparison again:

Inner shadows. OK. I think I mocked up a version, when you'd created a complete gif. I'll go back and get yours.

IMHO the error page should not have any of the frames but just a plain background and the hole in the middle (the nav bar is fine on top). And maybe 260 KBytes for an error image is a bit much? Mine is 20 KByte. I'm old-fashioned I guess, a quarter mega byte seems large to me ;)
260 Kbytes? I didn't notice. I'll use yours. And I'll remove some of the framing.

As for proper attribution, a small-print footer in the lower right corner should suffice (e.g. "graphic based on artwork by AMENAZAGFX").
OK. AMENAZAGFX it is.

- Bert -

PS: Perhaps proving my point above, the first version of this email bounced due to excessive size. Had to rescale your image, and save as jpeg.

If there is credit for the site being decent, and not my usual half-baked job, it goes to Bert. Posts like this have tempered the process to make better a product. But I'd be lying if I said they didn't take a little getting used to. :p

Chris

On 2013-01-24 2:44 PM, Ken G. Brown wrote:
> The browser on iPhone normally allows pinch zoom and scroll around easily so it usually works pretty good with a full site unless the site tries to be overly smart about it talking to a mobile device and to my mind it is usually in a negative direction.
> If only it had a link to the full site, and then not do anything special for mobile, it would be good on iPhone I think.
>
> Ken,
> from my iPhone

Let me think about how that might work. And how you might be presented
with the option.

Chris

Re: squeak.org - next iteration - new error gif

Chris Cunnington
On 2013-01-24 2:33 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
[...]

I've changed the gif. And it's much smaller.
I'll pull out the frames and background colors in the next rev.

Chris

On 24 January 2013 20:05, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 2013-01-24 2:33 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
[...]

I'm far from a graphics person, but might a PNG not better preserve the flat colours in the Browser? At the moment there are rather visible compression artifacts, both in the green parts and especially so in the buttons.

frank

On 2013-01-24 2:33 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
On 24.01.2013, at 10:10, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:

http://box3.squeak.org:8624/error
There is a nascent error message.

(If anyone is wondering about attribution for that image, I looked at the site it came from [1] and I do not see how it is supposed to be attributed. AFAICT, the maker has not indicated who they are or how they want to be attributed.).
[1] http://www.officialpsds.com/Hole-in-Paper-3-PSD50497.html

It's great that you adopted my idea for the error page look. But it does not yet have that "ripped-open" feel, because in your version the inner shadows are missing, and the outer ones do not look smooth enough. Here are both for comparison again:

<Mail Attachment.jpeg><Mail Attachment.jpeg>

IMHO the error page should not have any of the frames but just a plain background and the hole in the middle (the nav bar is fine on top). And maybe 260 KBytes for an error image is a bit much? Mine is 20 KByte. I'm old-fashioned I guess, a quarter mega byte seems large to me ;)

As for proper attribution, a small-print footer in the lower right corner should suffice (e.g. "graphic based on artwork by AMENAZAGFX").

- Bert -

PS: Perhaps proving my point above, the first version of this email bounced due to excessive size. Had to rescale your image, and save as jpeg.

http://box3.squeak.org:8624/error

I've changed the gif. And it's much smaller.
I'll pull out the frames and background colors in the next rev.

Chris

When I'm back home next week I could try and make this with your background color, which might be an even nicer effect than white. I like your color scheme better :) But I don't have the source file on my laptop with me right now.

- Bert -

On 2013-01-24 2:33 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
[...]

I see what you mean. Well, Bert says he'll make another one next week.

On 24.01.2013, at 12:18, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 24 January 2013 20:05, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:

I've changed the gif. And it's much smaller.
I'll pull out the frames and background colors in the next rev.

I'm far from a graphics person, but might a PNG not better preserve the flat colours in the Browser? At the moment there are rather visible compression artifacts, both in the green parts and especially so in the buttons.

frank

Yes, this is all for saving space. On my screen I only see the compression artifacts when I zoom into the image. Maybe on the next iteration I should use a higher quality level for the JPG, but I don't think we can get the file size down as much with a PNG, because of all the smooth shadow gradients.

- Bert -

On 2013-01-24 2:33 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
[...]

Super. No rush. I don't imagine I'll do another rev for about two weeks.

Thanks,

On 24.01.2013, at 12:35, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2013-01-24 3:31 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>
>> When I'm back home next week I could try and make this with your background color, which might be an even nicer effect than white. I like your color scheme better :) But I don't have the source file on my laptop with me right now.
>>
>> - Bert -
>>

> Super. No rush. I don't imagine I'll do another rev for about two weeks.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

In that, maybe you can actually hook it up :)

        http://box3.squeak.org:8624/foo

- Bert -

Re: squeak.org - next iteration

Yanni Chiu
On 24/01/13 1:10 PM, Chris Cunnington wrote:
> http://box3.squeak.org:8624

Is it just me, or does it break normal expectations to have items on the
top navbar take you to an external site?

Similarly, I always get surprised when a "Contact" page pops up my email
program, instead of a page with contact info (perhaps with a link that
says "email"). It's especially jarring to have this happen on the top
navbar.

Re: squeak.org - next iteration

Tobias Pape
Am 24.01.2013 um 23:36 schrieb Yanni Chiu <[hidden email]>:

> On 24/01/13 1:10 PM, Chris Cunnington wrote:
>> http://box3.squeak.org:8624
>
> Is it just me, or does it break normal expectations to have items on the top navbar take you to an external site?
>
> Similarly, I always get surprised when a "Contact" page pops up my email program, instead of a page with contact info (perhaps with a link that says "email"). It's especially jarring to have this happen on the top navbar.

ACK for both.

Best
        -Tobias

On 2013-01-25 3:08 AM, Tobias Pape wrote:

> Am 24.01.2013 um 23:36 schrieb Yanni Chiu <[hidden email]>:
>
>> On 24/01/13 1:10 PM, Chris Cunnington wrote:
>>> http://box3.squeak.org:8624
>> Is it just me, or does it break normal expectations to have items on the top navbar take you to an external site?
>>
>> Similarly, I always get surprised when a "Contact" page pops up my email program, instead of a page with contact info (perhaps with a link that says "email"). It's especially jarring to have this happen on the top navbar.
> ACK for both.
>
> Best
> -Tobias
OK, I'll move the Wiki link to the Documentation page and the Archives
link to the Development page. I'll give Contact it's own page. All links
from the menu bar will result in a page.

Chris

12