squeak.org

12

squeak.org

Chris Cunnington
http://box3.squeak.org:8624

I retired the first prototype for a new squeak.org after 500 hours and
launched another.

Chris

Re: squeak.org

Hannes Hirzel
Great work.
Nice and fluid.   :-)

I cannot judge if chocolatey is included...

Probably needs some more attentions in terms of use of colors...

Why are there four balloons instead of one in the logo?

--Hannes

On 11/27/12, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://box3.squeak.org:8624
>
> I retired the first prototype for a new squeak.org after 500 hours and
> launched another.
>
> Chris

Re: squeak.org

Chris Cunnington
On 2012-11-27 7:07 PM, H. Hirzel wrote:
> Great work.
> Nice and fluid.   :-)
Yea, that really works. Nice work Twitter. I have the logo at 250x250px.
That, combined with the fluid layout resolves in any cellphone, tablet,
or PC screen.
> I cannot judge if chocolatey is included...
>
> Probably needs some more attentions in terms of use of colors...
It is grayish. Yea. I knew it was a problem, but I was afraid of doing
something to make it look lurid. But now that you've made me think about
it, those two gray background areas need a warm hue. Maybe something
from the color palette of the old site. That should help.

> Why are there four balloons instead of one in the logo?
Well, I wanted the balloon in the background with the Squeak logo in the
foreground. I hit on the idea of a Warhol print where he repeated a
single image several times with bright colors, but with low line
definition. I think it gives a flickering background allowing the Squeak
logo to float above.

I figure this is a good basic structure for the site: Altitude with
Bootstrap. The the rest is tweaking. Such as, the pages are just lists
of links right now, so those pages need more.

I'm not going to lie to you, I'm quite taken with my logo. But, hey, I'm
a team player. All anybody has to do to make a logo is fill a 250x250px
box. If people want to submit logo gifs, great. The community can choose
the one it likes best.

Chris

Re: squeak.org

Karl Ramberg
Here is a logo made by Bert

Karl

logo.png (27K) Download Attachment

Re: squeak.org

Chris Cunnington
On 2012-11-28 2:04 AM, karl ramberg wrote:
> Here is a logo made by Bert
>
> Karl

I've uploaded it. You can see it on the site:

http://box3.squeak.org:8624/

Chris

Re: squeak.org

David T. Lewis
On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 06:44:50AM -0500, Chris Cunnington wrote:

> On 2012-11-28 2:04 AM, karl ramberg wrote:
> >Here is a logo made by Bert
> >
> >Karl
> >
> I've uploaded it. You can see it on the site:
>
> http://box3.squeak.org:8624/
>
> Chris

Our community has been around for quite a while now, so it is worth noting
for our newer members that the Squeak logo is the original creation of
Tim Rowledge (http://rowledge.org/tim/squeak/index.html).

I do think that Bert has made the nicest rendition of the logo ever :)

Dave

Re: squeak.org

Bert Freudenberg

On 2012-11-28 2:04 AM, karl ramberg wrote:
Here is a logo made by Bert

Karl

I've uploaded it. You can see it on the site:

http://box3.squeak.org:8624/

Chris

Our community has been around for quite a while now, so it is worth noting
for our newer members that the Squeak logo is the original creation of
Tim Rowledge (http://rowledge.org/tim/squeak/index.html).

I do think that Bert has made the nicest rendition of the logo ever :)

Dave

Really?! *blush*

I'd still call that one an icon rather than a logo, though. It's used on John's Mac VMs (I also made an aqua-blue version for Ian's). I should make one for Cog. Actually, would be easier for someone who still has access to Photoshop (I did that back in my University days). I do have the PSDs around.

Anyway, for a logo rather than an icon I think I like this one better:

(also serves as a reminder for the red-yellow-blue mouse buttons)

But as you say, the cute squeaky mouse in cat's clothing is Tim's originally. And I chuckled seeing Chris's fake Warhol; not a bad idea either, IMHO.

- Bert -

Re: squeak.org

Chris Cunnington
http://box3.squeak.org:8624/

Updated again to the tricolor logo.

Chris

Re: squeak.org

timrowledge

On 28-11-2012, at 8:26 AM, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://box3.squeak.org:8624/
>
> Updated again to the tricolor logo.

Just replied to this and got held in moderation because I included a graphic. If the list mod likes to release it from bondage that would be nice.

tim
Long computations that yield zero are probably all for naught.

Re: squeak.org

Chris Cunnington
On 2012-11-28 3:38 PM, tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 28-11-2012, at 8:26 AM, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> http://box3.squeak.org:8624/
>>
>> Updated again to the tricolor logo.
> Just replied to this and got held in moderation because I included a graphic. If the list mod likes to release it from bondage that would be nice.
>

> tim
> Long computations that yield zero are probably all for naught.

That might take a little while. If you want to email me the graphic, I
can upload it to a server and post a link to the board. That might be
faster.

Chris

Re: squeak.org

Chris Cunnington
http://box3.squeak.org:8624/

Updated to Tim's graphic.

Chris

Re: squeak.org

Darius Clarke
Now to get the eyes to watch the mouse ;-)

Chris, how would you like to receive some suggestions/help for building on what you have here for the home page?

Screenshot graphic, html, just text?

- Darius

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 12:54 PM, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:
http://box3.squeak.org:8624/

Updated to Tim's graphic.

Chris

Re: squeak.org

Chris Cunnington
On 2012-11-28 3:59 PM, Darius Clarke wrote:
Now to get the eyes to watch the mouse ;-)

Chris, how would you like to receive some suggestions/help for building on what you have here for the home page?

Screenshot graphic, html, just text?

- Darius

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 12:54 PM, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:
http://box3.squeak.org:8624/

Updated to Tim's graphic.

Chris

Absolutely. I'm all ears. Please do.
I'm happy to receive help in any manner you'd like to provide it: screenshot, html, etc.

Chris

Re: squeak.org

Darius Clarke
My little contribution to the current home page was this segment:

Take Part in the Innovation

DiscoverSqueak's features.
Get Squeakby downloading it to your computer.
Learn the Smalltalk language.
Explorethe documentation.
Jointhe community to find common interests.
Participate in the teams.
Stay currentRead the latest news from The Weekly Squeak.

To me, it's the core of why there's a website. And, it quickly introduces to the site visitor to what they can do next, in a linear, understandable way, with what they've learned from their first visit. They are all action items. The segment also, probably, answers most of the visitor's first questions.

Maybe it could be the top left tile in your new grid of tiles? But, I'm open to suggestions too.

I also think we can learn from looking at the home pages of other dynamic languages' websites' home pages. but let me know if you've already done that. I could suggest some things from them if you wish.

- Darius

On 2012-11-28 4:21 PM, Darius Clarke wrote:
[...]

That looks like a good idea. If you don't mind, it's getting close to the end of the day here, and swapping the images is easier than the code, so I'll add this idea tomorrow.

I have'nt looked at any other sites than Python and just briefly. There's also (fresh from Hacker News today):

http://www.bootstraphero.com/the-big-badass-list-of-twitter-bootstrap-resources

Bootstrap has a lot of resources. And how.

Chris

Re: squeak.org

Darius Clarke
No rush. Take my suggestions only as your time allows. Even your previous 500 is appreciated by me just to know you're trying. :)

I'm really looking forward to using Bootstrap for my own projects now. ( I can use that link. :)

- Darius

Re: squeak.org

Hannes Hirzel
Hello Chris and Darius

with the part Darius suggested added 'Take Part In The Innovation'
(TPITI) there is now quite some redundancy with the menu at the left.
e.g

Project Links (Menu)    ==>  'Discover Squeak's projects' (TPITI)
Documentation (Menu)    ==>  'Explore the documentation' (TPITI)
Developer Links (Menu)    ==>  'Find tools via the developer links.' (TPITI)

Web  users normally look at the menu and need to to be told so.

Maybe the TPITI info and the menu can be combined resulting in a more
attractive wording of the menu entries (verb plus object)?

This would as well shift up the six boxes below which makes it more
attractive at first glance as everything fits on a regular screen?

--Hannes

On 11/28/12, Darius Clarke <[hidden email]> wrote:
> No rush. Take my suggestions only as your time allows. Even your previous
> 500 is appreciated by me just to know you're trying. :)
>
> I'm really looking forward to using Bootstrap for my own projects now. ( I
> can use that link. :)
>
> - Darius

Re: squeak.org

Hannes Hirzel
P.S.
An idea which might be worth exploreing is to make the menu could look
like Smalltalk code which is very readable?

On 12/4/12, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Chris and Darius
>
> with the part Darius suggested added 'Take Part In The Innovation'
> (TPITI) there is now quite some redundancy with the menu at the left.
> e.g
>
> Project Links (Menu)    ==>  'Discover Squeak's projects' (TPITI)
> Documentation (Menu)    ==>  'Explore the documentation' (TPITI)
> Developer Links (Menu)    ==>  'Find tools via the developer links.'
> (TPITI)
>
> Web  users normally look at the menu and need to to be told so.
>
> Maybe the TPITI info and the menu can be combined resulting in a more
> attractive wording of the menu entries (verb plus object)?
>
> This would as well shift up the six boxes below which makes it more
> attractive at first glance as everything fits on a regular screen?
>
> --Hannes
>

> On 11/28/12, Darius Clarke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> No rush. Take my suggestions only as your time allows. Even your previous
>> 500 is appreciated by me just to know you're trying. :)
>>
>> I'm really looking forward to using Bootstrap for my own projects now. (
>> can use that link. :)
>>
>> - Darius

Re: squeak.org

Chris Cunnington
On 2012-12-04 1:06 AM, H. Hirzel wrote:

> Hello Chris and Darius
>
> with the part Darius suggested added 'Take Part In The Innovation'
> (TPITI) there is now quite some redundancy with the menu at the left.
> e.g
>
> Project Links (Menu)    ==>  'Discover Squeak's projects' (TPITI)
> Documentation (Menu)    ==>  'Explore the documentation' (TPITI)
> Developer Links (Menu)    ==>  'Find tools via the developer links.' (TPITI)
>
> Web  users normally look at the menu and need to to be told so.
>
> Maybe the TPITI info and the menu can be combined resulting in a more
> attractive wording of the menu entries (verb plus object)?
>
> This would as well shift up the six boxes below which makes it more
> attractive at first glance as everything fits on a regular screen?
>
> --Hannes

You'd like to remove the TPITI and style the menu as Smalltalk code. I'm
not sure either of those is a good idea. Casey wanted more color and I'm
not sure that's a good idea either. I don't think the webpage should be
the attraction. A little dull is probably better.

I figure a site has to work on two levels: immediate impression; and,
subsequent usefulness. People being people, they like a bit of noise and
chaos in the immediate impression. The current squeak.org gives a great
first impression, because its so busy and colorful. It's utility isn't
great. The redundancy of the TPITI, which you see as a defect, I see as
a contributing to immediate impression. The items in the TPITI overlap
with the menu and emphasize the menu.

I also think that people are attracted by what they can only partially
see. To give you an example from cinema, a director will often put
something in the way of an object the audience wants to see to increase
their desire to see it. An example from Lord Of The Rings - The Return
Of The King: after much preamble about the witch king of Angmar riding a
dragon, our first view is obscured by a castle spire. Spielberg does it
all the time. Obscure to increase curiosity.

My point is that because you can only see half of the six areas at the
bottom of the screen, your curiosity is nettled, and you scroll down to
see the rest of the page. Did you not do exactly that, Hannes? Isn't
that what you are protesting against being forced to do? You would like
to see the whole page without having to scroll. I would like to see this
"defect" as prompting people to interact with the site.

Chris

Re: squeak.org

Hannes Hirzel
Hi Chris

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

On 12/5/12, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2012-12-04 1:06 AM, H. Hirzel wrote:
>> Hello Chris and Darius
>>
>> with the part Darius suggested added 'Take Part In The Innovation'
>> (TPITI) there is now quite some redundancy with the menu at the left.
>> e.g
>>
>> Project Links (Menu)    ==>  'Discover Squeak's projects' (TPITI)
>> Documentation (Menu)    ==>  'Explore the documentation' (TPITI)
>> Developer Links (Menu)    ==>  'Find tools via the developer links.'
>> (TPITI)
>>
>> Web  users normally look at the menu and need to to be told so.
>>
>> Maybe the TPITI info and the menu can be combined resulting in a more
>> attractive wording of the menu entries (verb plus object)?
>>
>> This would as well shift up the six boxes below which makes it more
>> attractive at first glance as everything fits on a regular screen?
>>
>> --Hannes
>>
> You'd like to remove the TPITI and style the menu as Smalltalk code. I'm
> not sure either of those is a good idea.

OK, fine. No objection.

 Casey wanted more color and I'm
> not sure that's a good idea either. I don't think the webpage should be
> the attraction. A little dull is probably better.

Eeh?

> I figure a site has to work on two levels: immediate impression; and,
> subsequent usefulness. People being people, they like a bit of noise and
> chaos in the immediate impression.

Really?
Where is the noise?

 The current squeak.org gives a great
> first impression, because its so busy and colorful. It's utility isn't
> great.

The redundancy of the TPITI, which you see as a defect, I see as
> a contributing to immediate impression. The items in the TPITI overlap
> with the menu and emphasize the menu.

This is my main point. What people see is the TPITI section which is
redundant with a menu which people expect in any case visiting a web
site for an IDE/computer language. The standard things. And the
non-scrollable area at the top isn't used properly either. So the
first impression is to see half-finished redundant stuff and and a
nearly empty horizontal menu.

The important news are obstructed and look like an after-thought.

> I also think that people are attracted by what they can only partially
> see. To give you an example from cinema, a director will often put
> something in the way of an object the audience wants to see to increase
> their desire to see it. An example from Lord Of The Rings - The Return
> Of The King: after much preamble about the witch king of Angmar riding a
> dragon, our first view is obscured by a castle spire. Spielberg does it
> all the time. Obscure to increase curiosity.

This happens with the 6 intro boxes and the 'more' buttons. Very neat.

> My point is that because you can only see half of the six areas at the
> bottom of the screen, your curiosity is nettled, and you scroll down to
> see the rest of the page. Did you not do exactly that, Hannes?

Sure, because I was forced to. Not particularly great.

Isn't
> that what you are protesting against being forced to do?

Yes

 You would like
> to see the whole page without having to scroll.

Yes.

 I would like to see this
> "defect" as prompting people to interact with the site.

Interaction is good and great but not this type of cheap interaction.

We actually have 6 'more' buttons.

another  proposal

Why can-t we move TPITI into one of the six boxes and have a relative
newcomer write a short article how to get into Squeak....?

--Hannes

> Chris

12