squeaksource is down - a different perspective

squeaksource is down - a different perspective

Torsten Bergmann
>squeaksource.com is down a lot. People get frustrated at times.

Yes, and unfortunately it looks like people love to be frustrated.

Otherwise people would give Tobias more feedback on SqueakSource3 (see [1]) which IMHO could overtake the job in the future and replace the
problematic image? Or is the outage a traffic problem and may
happen with SS3 too?

Is the (daily?) restart the only option we have or is a migration
to a newer SS version possible?

And yes - SmalltalkHub is on the way, but we still dont know
how well it fits our needs/works/scales. Yes, this sounds negative but
I think it can replace Squeaksource only in a long term...

Bye
T.

[1] http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-project/2011-April/047780.html

Re: squeaksource is down - a different perspective

Stéphane Ducasse

>> squeaksource.com is down a lot. People get frustrated at times.
>
> Yes, and unfortunately it looks like people love to be frustrated.
>
> Otherwise people would give Tobias more feedback on SqueakSource3 (see [1]) which IMHO could overtake the job in the future and replace the
> problematic image?

I do not know.
Do SS3 has a migration process?
How easy is it to install on an old machine?
Does gemstone run on a old mac g3?
Should we install glass?
I do not know.

You see nothing looks simple when we want to do it.

> Or is the outage a traffic problem and may
> happen with SS3 too?
>
> Is the (daily?) restart the only option we have or is a migration
> to a newer SS version possible?

No idea.
Do you know?

> And yes - SmalltalkHub is on the way, but we still dont know
> how well it fits our needs/works/scales. Yes, this sounds negative but
> I think it can replace Squeaksource only in a long term...

we will see and learn.

> Bye
> T.
>

> [1] http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-project/2011-April/047780.html
> --
> NEU: FreePhone - kostenlos mobil telefonieren und surfen!

Re: squeaksource is down - a different perspective

Marcus Denker-4

On Apr 27, 2011, at 10:00 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

>>> squeaksource.com is down a lot. People get frustrated at times.
>>
>> Yes, and unfortunately it looks like people love to be frustrated.
>>
>> Otherwise people would give Tobias more feedback on SqueakSource3 (see [1]) which IMHO could overtake the job in the future and replace the
>> problematic image?
>
> I do not know.
> Do SS3 has a migration process?
> How easy is it to install on an old machine?
> Does gemstone run on a old mac g3?

I think we could ask SCG for running it on one of the newer machines
(64bit Linux).

> Should we install glass?
> I do not know.

Migration of existing data is the largest problem...

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: squeaksource is down - a different perspective

Dale Henrichs
Since you mention GemStone:)

We have customers who have migrated repositories created 10+ years ago
with our 32 bit product to the latest current version of our 64 bit product.

We have changed our Smalltalk class-library over the years and customers
have had to upgrade their own class libraries if they chose to continue
taking advantage of our newer releases ... then there are some who have
chosen not to migrate: I think there are still production applications
running GemStone on a version 20 years old:) ... as long as their
hardware holds out they are fine:)

Production customers don't tend to move very fast in upgrading their
hardware and software so we end up supporting older versions of oSes for
quite awhile...But when the os vendor announces and end of life of an
os, it becomes difficult for us to continue to support that version...

For the older versions we  backport critical bugfixes to the older
versions as long as their are active customers (read paying maintenance
dollars) using the older versions.

Dale

On 04/27/2011 10:23 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

>>> squeaksource.com is down a lot. People get frustrated at times.
>>
>> Yes, and unfortunately it looks like people love to be frustrated.
>>
>> Otherwise people would give Tobias more feedback on SqueakSource3 (see [1]) which IMHO could overtake the job in the future and replace the
>> problematic image?
>
> I do not know.
> Do SS3 has a migration process?
> How easy is it to install on an old machine?
> Does gemstone run on a old mac g3?
> Should we install glass?
> I do not know.
>
> You see nothing looks simple when we want to do it.
>
>> Or is the outage a traffic problem and may
>> happen with SS3 too?
>>
>> Is the (daily?) restart the only option we have or is a migration
>> to a newer SS version possible?
>
> No idea.
> Do you know?
>
>> And yes - SmalltalkHub is on the way, but we still dont know
>> how well it fits our needs/works/scales. Yes, this sounds negative but
>> I think it can replace Squeaksource only in a long term...
>
> we will see and learn.
>
>> Bye
>> T.
>>

>> [1] http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-project/2011-April/047780.html
>> --
>> NEU: FreePhone - kostenlos mobil telefonieren und surfen!
>> Jetzt informieren: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/freephone

Re: squeaksource is down - a different perspective

Stéphane Ducasse
I was thinking about migration from SS to SS3
On Apr 27, 2011, at 10:16 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Since you mention GemStone:)
>
> We have customers who have migrated repositories created 10+ years ago with our 32 bit product to the latest current version of our 64 bit product.
>
> We have changed our Smalltalk class-library over the years and customers have had to upgrade their own class libraries if they chose to continue taking advantage of our newer releases ... then there are some who have chosen not to migrate: I think there are still production applications running GemStone on a version 20 years old:) ... as long as their hardware holds out they are fine:)
>
> Production customers don't tend to move very fast in upgrading their hardware and software so we end up supporting older versions of oSes for quite awhile...But when the os vendor announces and end of life of an os, it becomes difficult for us to continue to support that version...
>
> For the older versions we  backport critical bugfixes to the older versions as long as their are active customers (read paying maintenance dollars) using the older versions.
>
> Dale

>>> Yes, and unfortunately it looks like people love to be frustrated.
>>>
>>> Otherwise people would give Tobias more feedback on SqueakSource3 (see [1]) which IMHO could overtake the job in the future and replace the
>>> problematic image?
>>
>> I do not know.
>> Do SS3 has a migration process?
>> How easy is it to install on an old machine?
>> Does gemstone run on a old mac g3?
>> Should we install glass?
>> I do not know.
>>
>> You see nothing looks simple when we want to do it.
>>
>>> Or is the outage a traffic problem and may
>>> happen with SS3 too?
>>>
>>> Is the (daily?) restart the only option we have or is a migration
>>> to a newer SS version possible?
>>
>> No idea.
>> Do you know?
>>
>>> And yes - SmalltalkHub is on the way, but we still dont know
>>> how well it fits our needs/works/scales. Yes, this sounds negative but
>>> I think it can replace Squeaksource only in a long term...
>>
>> we will see and learn.
>>
>>> Bye
>>> T.
>>>

>>> [1] http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-project/2011-April/047780.html
>>> --
>>> NEU: FreePhone - kostenlos mobil telefonieren und surfen!
>>> Jetzt informieren: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/freephone

Re: squeaksource is down - a different perspective

Dale Henrichs
Haha, .... now I see that:)
On Apr 27, 2011, at 11:13 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> I was thinking about migration from SS to SS3
> On Apr 27, 2011, at 10:16 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:
>
>> Since you mention GemStone:)
>>
>> We have customers who have migrated repositories created 10+ years ago with our 32 bit product to the latest current version of our 64 bit product.
>>
>> We have changed our Smalltalk class-library over the years and customers have had to upgrade their own class libraries if they chose to continue taking advantage of our newer releases ... then there are some who have chosen not to migrate: I think there are still production applications running GemStone on a version 20 years old:) ... as long as their hardware holds out they are fine:)
>>
>> Production customers don't tend to move very fast in upgrading their hardware and software so we end up supporting older versions of oSes for quite awhile...But when the os vendor announces and end of life of an os, it becomes difficult for us to continue to support that version...
>>
>> For the older versions we  backport critical bugfixes to the older versions as long as their are active customers (read paying maintenance dollars) using the older versions.
>>
>> Dale

>>> I do not know.
>>> Do SS3 has a migration process?
>>> How easy is it to install on an old machine?
>>> Does gemstone run on a old mac g3?
>>> Should we install glass?
>>> I do not know.
>>>
>>> You see nothing looks simple when we want to do it.

>>> No idea.
>>> Do you know?

>>> we will see and learn.

Think about migration upfront! (was Re: squeaksource is down - a different perspective)

Janko Mivšek
I think we should learn very carefully from Gemstone migration
experiences to develop our Smalltalk systems *upfront* with migration in
mind.

Just see all recent (or less recent) examples: MC2 seems too radical to
be easily migrated from MC1 and obviously designed without migration in
mind, SqueakSource as well, SS3 too?

Such systems just don't have any chance to be accepted and old systems
will live and live instead. So, don't develop just a "cool" stuff, take
some time to think about migration and long-term maintenance issues as
well, if you like that your system will be accepted with the community
to your glory :)

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Think about migration upfront! (was Re: squeaksource is down - a different perspective)

Tobias Pape

Am 2011-05-02 um 10:00 schrieb Janko Mivšek:

> I think we should learn very carefully from Gemstone migration
> experiences to develop our Smalltalk systems *upfront* with migration in
> mind.
>
> Just see all recent (or less recent) examples: MC2 seems too radical to
> be easily migrated from MC1 and obviously designed without migration in
> mind, SqueakSource as well, SS3 too?

Just by chance.
I really have migratioin in my mind, it was painfully enough to
migrate from SqueakSource to SqueakSource2 so I pay attention to
it but had not enough time to come up with something
really useful :/

So Long
        -Tobias

Re: Think about migration upfront! (was Re: squeaksource is down - a different perspective)

Miguel Cobá
Sometimes it is just enough to let the old versions in the old system
and start afresh in the new system with the last version of the project.

I think that the main reason for a project not being accepted is that
they lack enough traction and aren't end-user appealing.

Also, there can be a few hard core users of a system but the real
measure of impact is the number of new users they got. A bad (or good)
example, some years ago there was MySpace. It was the site all the
garage bands want to be in. It was the place for young people. Then
there comes Facebook and in just a couple years put MySpace to bite the
dust. There was a way to "migrate" your info (post, messages, pics) from
MySpace to Facebook? I (really) don't know, but I doubt that if they
existed they could make the migration faster that it was. The people
just went away to the new shiny, easier, more social and more appealing
that the old crap that MySpace pages were.

People sometimes doesn't care for the past. Just a good system (I am not
talking about facebook anymore, I don't use it) is enough to move a lot
of people from old system to new system.

Cheers

--
Miguel Cobá
http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz