#stable not defined

Thomas Worthington-2
Pick something in the configuration browser's unverified tab at random and
the chances are that "Install configuration (stable version)" will fail
with "#stable not defined" - tonight I tried FileSystem, Moose,
CairoGraphics and Cog and all of them failed - some of them taking quite a
long time to get to the failure point.

To some degree this is fair enough from "unverified" but it would be nice
if the "stable version" did not appear as an option on those which do not
have one. Regardless, what should I do to get SOME version of, say, Moose
or CairoGraphics loaded up?

Thomas

Re: #stable not defined

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi tom

Hello, which version of Pharo are you using?
Because I do not see why you need to load FileSystem or Moose.

Stef

On Jun 11, 2013, at 10:54 PM, Thomas Worthington <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pick something in the configuration browser's unverified tab at random and
> the chances are that "Install configuration (stable version)" will fail
> with "#stable not defined" - tonight I tried FileSystem, Moose,
> CairoGraphics and Cog and all of them failed - some of them taking quite a
> long time to get to the failure point.
>
> To some degree this is fair enough from "unverified" but it would be nice
> if the "stable version" did not appear as an option on those which do not
> have one. Regardless, what should I do to get SOME version of, say, Moose
> or CairoGraphics loaded up?
>
> Thomas

Re: #stable not defined

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Thomas Worthington-2 wrote
Pick something in the configuration browser's unverified tab at random and
the chances are that "Install configuration (stable version)" will fail
with "#stable not defined" - tonight I tried FileSystem, Moose,
CairoGraphics and Cog and all of them failed - some of them taking quite a
long time to get to the failure point.
Thomas, I'm sorry you're having trouble. Let's see what we can do...

Which version of Pharo are you using? FileSystem is preloaded as of 1.4. To build Cog, get an image off of Jenkins.

Thomas Worthington-2 wrote
it would be nice if the "stable version" did not appear as an option on those which do not
have one.
I couldn't agree more. The configuration browser seems extremely limited.  I guess it will be replaced by Versionner? That having been said, it's better than nothing, and provided to us for free, so if you are really want this fixed, at minimum open an issue, or better yet have a go yourself!

Thomas Worthington-2 wrote
Regardless, what should I do to get SOME version of, say, Moose
or CairoGraphics loaded up?
I tried to load Moose per the instructions on their website [1] and got and error, so I'm not sure. I forwarded the error to their mailing list [2]

Based on the info at http://www.squeaksource.com/CairoGraphics ("Currently it only works with older versions of Alien, since I haven't brought it up to speed with more recent refactrings"), it seems unlikely that you'll get this working in 2.0. There has been a lot of discussion about Cairo/Athens/NativeBoost on the developer list. I would search the archives...

[1] http://www.moosetechnology.org/download/pharo
http://forum.world.st/ConfigurationOfMoose-Error-in-Pharo-2-0-td4692881.html
Cheers,
Sean

Re: #stable not defined

Stephan Eggermont-3
Sean wrote
>Thomas Worthington-2 wrote
>>Regardless, what should I do to get SOME version of, say, Moose
>>or CairoGraphics loaded up?
>I tried to load Moose per the instructions on their website [1] and got and error, so I'm not sure. I forwarded the error to >their mailing list [2]

Could it be a well known vm bug?  https://pharo.fogbugz.com/default.asp?10395

The released version of Moose is 4.7, which is based on Pharo 1.4
Moose 4.8 is based on Pharo 2.0 and is very close to release, and perfectly useable.
Installing Moose from Monticello packages takes a lot of time as it is large,
so I recommend downloading a development build from
  http://www.moosetechnology.org/download/4.8

I fully agree that suggesting to install #stable versions of configurations where
stable is not defined is not very useful.

Stephan

Re: #stable not defined

Thomas Worthington-2
On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 22:44:34 +0100, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi tom
>
> Hello, which version of Pharo are you using?

I should have said: 2.0

> Because I do not see why you need to load FileSystem or Moose.

I had forgotten than FileSystem was in 2.0; I don't see Moose anywhere in
the groups menu.

But the general question is: when the stable load fails, what is plan-B
for the user? I couldn't work this out from the source. I can see that
there are various versions defined (eg, '4.0.9') but I'm not clear on
where/what class to send the required messages to.

On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 22:44:34 +0100, Sean P. DeNigris
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thomas Worthington-2 wrote
>> it would be nice if the "stable version" did not appear as an option on
>> those which do not
>> have one.
>
> I couldn't agree more. The configuration browser seems extremely
> limited.  I
> guess it will be replaced by Versionner? That having been said, it's
> better
> than nothing, and provided to us for free, so if you are really want this
> fixed, at minimum open an issue, or better yet have a go yourself!

I'm still trying to get to the point where I can produce a working
application and be familiar with how things work in a proper, modern OO
system. I'm employed during the day as a PHP-programmer and I can feel it
rotting my brain.

I agree that the browser is (much) better than nothing, I'm mainly just
trying to find out what to do when there isn't a #stable version.

Thomas

Re: #stable not defined

Stéphane Ducasse

>> Because I do not see why you need to load FileSystem or Moose.
>
> I had forgotten than FileSystem was in 2.0; I don't see Moose anywhere in the groups menu.
>
> But the general question is: when the stable load fails, what is plan-B for the user? I couldn't work this out from the source. I can see that there are various versions defined (eg, '4.0.9') but I'm not clear on where/what class to send the required messages to.
>
> On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 22:44:34 +0100, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thomas Worthington-2 wrote
>>> it would be nice if the "stable version" did not appear as an option on
>>> those which do not
>>> have one.
>>
>> I couldn't agree more. The configuration browser seems extremely limited.  I
>> guess it will be replaced by Versionner? That having been said, it's better
>> than nothing, and provided to us for free, so if you are really want this
>> fixed, at minimum open an issue, or better yet have a go yourself!
>
> I'm still trying to get to the point where I can produce a working application and be familiar with how things work in a proper, modern OO system. I'm employed during the day as a PHP-programmer and I can feel it rotting my brain.
>
> I agree that the browser is (much) better than nothing, I'm mainly just trying to find out what to do when there isn't a #stable version.

Start using an image that we build on jenkins for example Seaside ((we should have a seaside jenkins job) if not we should do one. Please someone add a bug entry if there is no seaside build.)
And load some of the package you need to build your application.
        - you can read the monticello/metacello chapter on the Pharo by example 2 book.

We are working on automatically a process and tool to validate all the packages and dsitribution.
This way we will all be sure that configruation are loading.
We are also working on a tool to express configuration.

So let us know what is missing for you to build your application.

Re: #stable not defined

Thomas Worthington-2
On Wed, 12 Jun 2013 07:03:46 +0100, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Thomas Worthington-2 wrote
>>
>> I'm still trying to get to the point where I can produce a working
>> application and be familiar with how things work in a proper, modern OO
>> system. I'm employed during the day as a PHP-programmer and I can feel
>> it rotting my brain.
>>
>> I agree that the browser is (much) better than nothing, I'm mainly just
>> trying to find out what to do when there isn't a #stable version.
>
> Start using an image that we build on jenkins for example Seaside ((we
> should have a seaside jenkins job) if not we should do one. Please
> someone add a bug entry if there is no seaside build.)
> And load some of the package you need to build your application.
> - you can read the monticello/metacello chapter on the Pharo by example
> 2 book.
>
> We are working on automatically a process and tool to validate all the
> packages and dsitribution.
> This way we will all be sure that configruation are loading.
> We are also working on a tool to express configuration.
>
> So let us know what is missing for you to build your application.

I meant that I'm more generally getting the hang of what makes good
Smalltalk code by looking at examples rather than that I'm missing
something in particular. I'm working my way through "A Mentoring Course on
Smalltalk" too, which is very illuminating (and reminds me a lot of my
days as a Forth programmer).

Thomas