standardWindowExtent

Yanni Chiu
In RealEstateAgent>>standardWindowExtent, there is a line:

     allowedArea extent - (grid * (maxLevel + 1 * 2) + (grid // 2))
         min: StandardSize

I changed the #min: to a #max:, and now I get a SystemBrowser that I
don't have to resize every time, to make it bigger. The old solution I
used in PharoCore-1.0 was to set Preferences>>bigDisplay on, then adjust
the factor for scaling the initialExtent. But Preferences is gone from
Pharo-1.1.

Is the intended behaviour better realized using #max: ?

Re: standardWindowExtent

Stéphane Ducasse

> In RealEstateAgent>>standardWindowExtent, there is a line:
>
>    allowedArea extent - (grid * (maxLevel + 1 * 2) + (grid // 2))
>        min: StandardSize
>
> I changed the #min: to a #max:, and now I get a SystemBrowser that I don't have to resize every time, to make it bigger. The old solution I used in PharoCore-1.0 was to set Preferences>>bigDisplay on, then adjust the factor for scaling the initialExtent. But Preferences is gone from Pharo-1.1.

the removal of the preference was just part of a major cleanup.
now defining a setting could be a solution.

> Is the intended behaviour better realized using #max: ?

I think that this is true that now I have a 30 inches screen and that may be the realEstateAgent could be subclassed into
RealEstateAgentForLargeScreen/ RealEstateAgentForSmallScreen but somebody has to do it.

Re: standardWindowExtent

Yanni Chiu
Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>> Is the intended behaviour better realized using #max: ?
>
> I think that this is true that now I have a 30 inches screen and that may be the realEstateAgent could be subclassed into
> RealEstateAgentForLargeScreen/ RealEstateAgentForSmallScreen but somebody has to do it.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I thought this was a bug - it should be a
call to #max:, not #min:. But, after looking at the code some more, and
experimenting with #max: vs. #min:, and changing StandardSize
(experiment done on a laptop screen), I can't figure out what is best.
So I guess leave it at #min: is the thing to do.

Re: standardWindowExtent

Stéphane Ducasse
no problem :)