start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

1234

Re: start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
If you provide the script (i.e. version(s)) that you used and the platform(s) you successfully loaded/used the project on, I will update the configs...

We should have a central place to share these custom load scripts and results so that they can be mined by config maintainers.
prob would crowd the Metacello list too much.
maybe Dale will create a special list for it.
I'll cc the Metacello list...

Digging through my so-called memory<g>, loading both Alien and Citezen required special attention.  Alien led to a broken image, and Citezen was simply tricky to load such that it would work.  Both required requesting specific versions in order to work.

On Jun 15, 2012, at 11:36 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Well, spotlight is really cool indeed. Shift-Space XXX Enter. yay!
>
> But I like to have a view on several classes and typing HOPR¨helps.
>
> Same when exploring the system for doing something (like
> sound-synthesis for example).
>
> BTW, any new stuff on the MP3 front? I am looking at the sophie 1.0
> extract of yours.
>
> As of Pharo 1.4 Summer Release, having a somewhat cleaned up
> Sound-synthesis in it would be nice.

our agenda is more than full. Do not expect anything from us on this side.
we have
        athens
        FFI/NativeBoost
        and a lot of other points to fix.

> I am currently creating a little game in Smalltalk targeting the iPad
> and a game without sound is not that of a game.

Load the packages and try.

On Jun 16, 2012, at 12:57 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> But if I'm building a new image *today*, I want it to do the right thing now (automatically for the current version), with the same incantation as worked months ago or months from now.

Bill when do you take the time to have a look at Metacello.
Why people like me are spending days on writing 45 pages of documentation to hear you saying that.

This scenario is supported since months nearly since Barcelona 2010.

>   If we can't do that, the config browser is pretty much a dream vs. reality.

EstebanLM

you are asking for two things there:

-a sound package for pharo 1.4 (I don't know if it exists, and in any case we cannot add it as a core package, you need to install it and see how it works by yourself)
-a working sound plugin for iOS. TBH, while I'm including it in regular compilations, I never tested it, so I don't know if is working properly. Of course, to do games and others, is clear that we need a working sound system into iOS... .

Esteban

On Jun 15, 2012, at 11:36 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Well, spotlight is really cool indeed. Shift-Space XXX Enter. yay!
>
> But I like to have a view on several classes and typing HOPR¨helps.
>
> Same when exploring the system for doing something (like
> sound-synthesis for example).
>
> BTW, any new stuff on the MP3 front? I am looking at the sophie 1.0
> extract of yours.
>
> As of Pharo 1.4 Summer Release, having a somewhat cleaned up
> Sound-synthesis in it would be nice.
>
> I am currently creating a little game in Smalltalk targeting the iPad
> and a game without sound is not that of a game.
>
> For beginners and motivating people to move aboard the platform, sound
> is important to have.
>
> KR
> Philippe
>
> 2012/6/15 Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> philippeback wrote
>>>
>>> Have been using Nautilus and OB and albeit Nautilus is nicer looking,
>>> I find my way better with OB. Especially with the top search bar and
>>> categorizing into protocols. More buttons under the lists in OB but I
>>> do prefer them actually.
>>>

>> Overall, I like Nautilus' workflow better, but I know what you mean about
>> the buttons. Even with the visual feedback, I'm never quite sure if I'm "in"
>> class-side mode, or I have to hit the button to "get" class-side mode. I was
>> missing the search bar, but with spotlight, it's moot.
>>
>> Sean
>>
>> --

> Philippe Back
> Dramatic Performance Improvements
> Mob: +32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: +32 (0) 70 408 027 Mail:
> [hidden email] | Web: http://philippeback.eu | Blog:
> http://philippeback.be
>
> High Octane SPRL
> rue cour Boisacq 101
> 1301 Bierges
> Belgium

Re: start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

Philippe Marschall-2-3
On 13.06.2012 11:08, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I started thinking on next release of Pharo 1.4 (which will be code named "summer", not an ugly number).

It's only summer in the northern hemisphere. Eclipse renamed their
winter releases because it isn't winter in February in half of the world.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Stef,

I have had experts on it tell me exactly the opposite.  Things like "always load specific versions" and "never load symbolic versions."  They mean well (and have been helpful in the short term), but it is far from a generic solution.  The "answer" will invariably be different "every time."

Citezen is much appreciated, but your answer to getting it to load was to load a specific numeric version.  Ditto Alien/FFI from others.

I am simply repeating what I have been told.

Bill

On Jun 16, 2012, at 12:57 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> But if I'm building a new image *today*, I want it to do the right thing now (automatically for the current version), with the same incantation as worked months ago or months from now.

Bill when do you take the time to have a look at Metacello.
Why people like me are spending days on writing 45 pages of documentation to hear you saying that.

This scenario is supported since months nearly since Barcelona 2010.

>   If we can't do that, the config browser is pretty much a dream vs. reality.

If it helps at all, I was able (with help) to get sound working on Linux.  It's ugly: one has to copy/rename the plugin from another vm (to use cog).  Once I got it working, I flagged a copy of the plugin in the hopes of making things easier next time.

Bill

-a sound package for pharo 1.4 (I don't know if it exists, and in any case we cannot add it as a core package, you need to install it and see how it works by yourself)
-a working sound plugin for iOS. TBH, while I'm including it in regular compilations, I never tested it, so I don't know if is working properly. Of course, to do games and others, is clear that we need a working sound system into iOS... .

Esteban

On Jun 15, 2012, at 11:36 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Well, spotlight is really cool indeed. Shift-Space XXX Enter. yay!
>
> But I like to have a view on several classes and typing HOPR¨helps.
>
> Same when exploring the system for doing something (like
> sound-synthesis for example).
>
> BTW, any new stuff on the MP3 front? I am looking at the sophie 1.0
> extract of yours.
>
> As of Pharo 1.4 Summer Release, having a somewhat cleaned up
> Sound-synthesis in it would be nice.
>
> I am currently creating a little game in Smalltalk targeting the iPad
> and a game without sound is not that of a game.
>
> For beginners and motivating people to move aboard the platform, sound
> is important to have.
>
> KR
> Philippe
>
> 2012/6/15 Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> philippeback wrote
>>>
>>> Have been using Nautilus and OB and albeit Nautilus is nicer looking,
>>> I find my way better with OB. Especially with the top search bar and
>>> categorizing into protocols. More buttons under the lists in OB but I
>>> do prefer them actually.
>>>

>> Overall, I like Nautilus' workflow better, but I know what you mean about
>> the buttons. Even with the visual feedback, I'm never quite sure if I'm "in"
>> class-side mode, or I have to hit the button to "get" class-side mode. I was
>> missing the search bar, but with spotlight, it's moot.
>>
>> Sean
>>
>> --

> Philippe Back
> Dramatic Performance Improvements
> Mob: +32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: +32 (0) 70 408 027 Mail:
> [hidden email] | Web: http://philippeback.eu | Blog:
> http://philippeback.be
>
> High Octane SPRL
> rue cour Boisacq 101
> 1301 Bierges
> Belgium

Re: start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 13.06.2012 11:08, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
Hi,

I started thinking on next release of Pharo 1.4 (which will be code named "summer", not an ugly number).

It's only summer in the northern hemisphere. Eclipse renamed their winter releases because it isn't winter in February in half of the world.

+1 to simply call it 1.4.1

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

On Jun 16, 2012, at 8:14 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Stef,
>
> I have had experts on it tell me exactly the opposite.  Things like "always load specific versions" and "never load symbolic versions."  They mean well (and have been helpful in the short term), but it is far from a generic solution.  The "answer" will invariably be different "every time."
>
> Citezen is much appreciated, but your answer to getting it to load was to load a specific numeric version.

did you read the configuration?
Because if there is no symbolic version then load a specific one.
Then you have to control what you want to load.

I think that symbolic versions are working quite well.

> Ditto Alien/FFI from others.
>
> I am simply repeating what I have been told.
>
> Bill

Guillermo Polito

On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 10:06 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jun 16, 2012, at 8:14 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Stef,
>
> I have had experts on it tell me exactly the opposite.  Things like "always load specific versions" and "never load symbolic versions."  They mean well (and have been helpful in the short term), but it is far from a generic solution.  The "answer" will invariably be different "every time."
>
> Citezen is much appreciated, but your answer to getting it to load was to load a specific numeric version.

did you read the configuration?
Because if there is no symbolic version then load a specific one.
Then you have to control what you want to load.

I think that symbolic versions are working quite well.

They are :)

> Ditto Alien/FFI from others.
>
> I am simply repeating what I have been told.
>
> Bill

philippeback
We are closing the gap with Java versions... Pharo 1.6.3_047 nearing...

Belgium

Re: start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

philippeback
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_version_history isn't too bad either
with Update x suffix.

Pharo SE 4 Update 2 ... there is some good marketing touch to that
given the popularity of Java.

They switched after 1.4 - As an innovative platform, maybe we can switch now :-)

2.0 would become Pharo SE 5
and things like Seaside would be Pharo WE 6 (Web Edition)
and moose Pharo DE 4 (Data visualization Edition)

Phil

Belgium

Re: start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

Guillermo Polito
I do not know... Python and Ruby are kind of popular too without needing such kind of prefixes...  I thing we should be original in the name :), and that's all...

On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 10:50 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_version_history isn't too bad either
with Update x suffix.

Pharo SE 4 Update 2 ... there is some good marketing touch to that
given the popularity of Java.

They switched after 1.4 - As an innovative platform, maybe we can switch now :-)

2.0 would become Pharo SE 5
and things like Seaside would be Pharo WE 6 (Web Edition)
and moose Pharo DE 4 (Data visualization Edition)

Phil

2012/6/16 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 13.06.2012 11:08, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I started thinking on next release of Pharo 1.4 (which will be code named
>>> "summer", not an ugly number).
>>

>> It's only summer in the northern hemisphere. Eclipse renamed their winter
>> releases because it isn't winter in February in half of the world.
>>

> +1 to simply call it 1.4.1
>
> --
> Mariano
> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

--
Philippe Back
Dramatic Performance Improvements
Mob: <a href="tel:%2B32%280%29%20478%20650%20140" value="+32478650140">+32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: <a href="tel:%2B32%20%280%29%2070%20408%20027" value="+3270408027">+32 (0) 70 408 027 Mail:
[hidden email] | Web: http://philippeback.eu | Blog:
http://philippeback.be

High Octane SPRL
rue cour Boisacq 101
1301 Bierges
Belgium

Re: start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

Ben Coman
Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> EstebanLM wrote
>
>> I started thinking on next release of Pharo 1.4 (which will be code named
>> "summer", not an ugly number).
>>

>> Re browsers... I would definitely include either OB or Nautilus. The default
>> is just too limiting. Nautilus does seem to be in a pretty usable state now,
>> and it'd be helpful for new users not to have to learn two browsers in two
>> releases...

-1 on code name "summer" since it is winter here in Australia.  Also,
were you considering the full name being:
  a) only "Summer"
  b) "Pharo Summer"
  c) "Pharo 1.4 Summer"

For (a) and (b) - what happens next summer for a maintenance release of
2.0 ?   Another code name could work.
For (c), since an ugly number '1.4' is already included, I'd just stay
with that as '1.4.1'

Also for consideration with using a code name rather than a version
number, the two I know off...
  Ubuntu - increments each release with a letter of the alphabet, so it
is still easy to see the progression.
  Eclipse - used the code name for the simultaneous release of multiple
projects all having separate version numbers.  The underlying platform
still uses point numbers.

Esteban,

Is Nautilus under any consideration to be the default browser for your
summer release at all, or are you firmly committed to OB?
I need to know this to continue updating Pharo By Example for 1.4.

cheers -ben

Re: start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

EstebanLM
I prefer codenames and not number because numbering is boring. Just that. 1.4.1 is a stupid number that makes people believe that there will be a 1.4.2, etc... (because our mind is designed that way, inevitably). And if I want to realease an emergency fix, as this version is 1.4.1 next version will be 1.4.1.1 etc.
So, no, I prefer codenames over numbering. Also, I'm from southamerica, I know perfectly well than summer here is winter there. I also know something more: nobody cares there :) but if there are complains, I'm willing to change the code name for... I dunno, places where there are Faros.

1.4 Alexandria
1.4 Finistère
1.4 Usuhaia :)

as I said... I just don't care which code name, but I don't want numbers.

(btw... I'm kinda happy that this is the biggest divergence in my proposal :P)

On Jun 17, 2012, at 5:10 AM, Ben Coman wrote:

> Sean P. DeNigris wrote:
>> EstebanLM wrote
>>
>>> I started thinking on next release of Pharo 1.4 (which will be code named
>>> "summer", not an ugly number).
>>>
>>> Re browsers... I would definitely include either OB or Nautilus. The default
>>> is just too limiting. Nautilus does seem to be in a pretty usable state now,
>>> and it'd be helpful for new users not to have to learn two browsers in two
>>> releases...
>>>

> -1 on code name "summer" since it is winter here in Australia.  Also, were you considering the full name being:
> a) only "Summer"
> b) "Pharo Summer"
> c) "Pharo 1.4 Summer"
>
> For (a) and (b) - what happens next summer for a maintenance release of 2.0 ?   Another code name could work.
> For (c), since an ugly number '1.4' is already included, I'd just stay with that as '1.4.1'
(c) was my idea, but if place-codenames are taken, we can use a different names each times.

> Also for consideration with using a code name rather than a version number, the two I know off...
> Ubuntu - increments each release with a letter of the alphabet, so it is still easy to see the progression.
> Eclipse - used the code name for the simultaneous release of multiple projects all having separate version numbers.  The underlying platform still uses point numbers.
>

> Esteban,
>
> Is Nautilus under any consideration to be the default browser for your summer release at all, or are you firmly committed to OB?
> I need to know this to continue updating Pharo By Example for 1.4.

no, because you can load Nautilus on top of OB, but not the opposite.

> cheers -ben

Re: start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

philippeback
As a tribute to south america, why not pick up places, people, or events?

There is for sure a wealth of names and a rich history.
Would be great as lots of growth expected in that area of the world!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Argentina
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Chile

Pharo Patagonia anyone?

Phil

Belgium

Re: start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

EstebanLM

On Jun 17, 2012, at 5:10 AM, Ben Coman wrote:

> Is Nautilus under any consideration to be the default browser for your summer release at all, or are you firmly committed to OB?
> I need to know this to continue updating Pharo By Example for 1.4.

this is an interesting and important issue (much more than codenames, he).
I will extend my latest answer, using what I know (maybe Benjamin has another idea, and would be good to know it):

Nautilus is in development, there are some important functionalities that are not there yet, and some others that does not work properly. Refactors and Traits is the most important things I can think of now, but there are probably more.
Also, Nautilus relies in RPackage, which was not ready for 1.4 (but will be ready for 2.0). And some other packages (like OB itself) can be not-loadable after installing Nautilus.
To make all of this work in 1.4 can be a huge job (at least for RPackage, it is, I don't know for Nautilus). I know that RPackage cannot be backported without a lot of effort, but I don't know if Nautilus for 1.4 can be adapted to not use RPackage easily (which AFAIK, should be necessary to make it work propertly).

So, I will like your work (which is IMO terribly important) would take Nautilus. But I also think that loading it for default in 1.4 is probably too much.
Frankly,  I don't know what to do now :)

Esteban

Re: start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

philippeback
OB if we want traction with embarking new people into Pharo.

Think about the feeling it would give when faced with
incomplete/unstable in such a thing as the Browser for a new comer or
someone who wants to convince "the powers" that Pharo is an
interesting avenue to invest into.

Nautilus is the shiny new thing. But OB has all the important things
working and the refactorings do kind of work well.

And what's wrong with OB after all? There are docs on how to leverage
the thing to do our own extensions, which is good. (Glamour still too
far fetched at my level). But OB is okay after going through the docs.

Know what? At a minimum, it should be clear that one can load OB from
the Configurations with just a DoIt from the initial workspace. The
way it is now is too complicated to find out.

Same thing with ProfStef, FFI etc

And a warning telling about how long it would take and so on may be a
great thing (Getting OB from the 1.4 metarepo is just taking a long
while... and no one wanting to try things out in an overbusy schedule
would be able to spend that time. Another point crossing my mind is
that if you try this out during a commute in a train or place, you are
stuck without network connection. A primed package-cache would be
beneficial for that, at the expense of the release size).

Spotlight would also benefit from an explanation (like hit Shift-Enter
to invoke. In the beginning I was opening that in World and then had a
look at the code to find out about the binding...)

Know what, we may want to have a YouTube video going with the release
and showing how to do that stuff and what to expect.

I am volunteering to do it if you are interested.

Belgium

Re: start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

philippeback
Who is his/her right mind would be able to make sense of this without
a lot of preexposure? And who the hell are those people?

And figuring out they need to right click, followed by a load
configuration *and* stable version? Followed by a loooong wait. And if
there is no internet, well, it would freeze for a significant while.

That's the feedback I get from people I try to get into the flow. Lots
of blank stares... along the lines of "What the heck are you doing?"

--
Philippe Back
Dramatic Performance Improvements
Mob: +32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: +32 (0) 70 408 027 Mail:
[hidden email] | Web: http://philippeback.eu | Blog:
http://philippeback.be

High Octane SPRL
rue cour Boisacq 101
1301 Bierges
Belgium

PharoScreenshot.1.png (91K) Download Attachment

Re: start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

Igor Stasenko
i for Pharo 1.4.1
no messy naming please.

Let's care more about what we put under the hood, than on glossy cover.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

1234