start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

1234

start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

EstebanLM
Hi,

I started thinking on next release of Pharo 1.4 (which will be code named "summer", not an ugly number).
I've been monitoring the list and I think there are some things to improve, so I'm planning to add this things to new one click:

- pre-load OmniBrowser.
Why I'm suggesting this? Because nobody seems to notice that OB is actually working on 1.4 and everybody complains that "you cannot have refactors, blabla", which is just not true, but is causing a lot of bad feeling around what is a great release (yes, I'm making some constructive criticism about the list attitude, but also about our/mine communicational capabilities).
Original idea was to allow people to choose OB or Nautilus, since the last one will be the browser for Pharo in the future, but truth is that Nautilus is still a "technology preview"... and it will be there for all those like me, who want to use it.
Finally, most important issue is that newcomers expect to have a full environment working out of the box, and they don'y know how to use the Configuration Browser.

- pre-load Spotlight
Yeah, another small tool who can make your life easy.
Why? just because I'm tired of seeing all of you typing class names at workspace and press cmd+b later... or using some more uncomfortable ways to reach your code.
If you still prefer those ways, is up to you ;)

So far, this and the bugfixes we already made (and some more)...

What do you think?

Esteban

Re: start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 13 Jun 2012, at 11:08, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I started thinking on next release of Pharo 1.4 (which will be code named "summer", not an ugly number).
> I've been monitoring the list and I think there are some things to improve, so I'm planning to add this things to new one click:
>
> - pre-load OmniBrowser.
> Why I'm suggesting this? Because nobody seems to notice that OB is actually working on 1.4 and everybody complains that "you cannot have refactors, blabla", which is just not true, but is causing a lot of bad feeling around what is a great release (yes, I'm making some constructive criticism about the list attitude, but also about our/mine communicational capabilities).
> Original idea was to allow people to choose OB or Nautilus, since the last one will be the browser for Pharo in the future, but truth is that Nautilus is still a "technology preview"... and it will be there for all those like me, who want to use it.
> Finally, most important issue is that newcomers expect to have a full environment working out of the box, and they don'y know how to use the Configuration Browser.

+ 1

> - pre-load Spotlight
> Yeah, another small tool who can make your life easy.
> Why? just because I'm tired of seeing all of you typing class names at workspace and press cmd+b later... or using some more uncomfortable ways to reach your code.
> If you still prefer those ways, is up to you ;)

+ 1

> So far, this and the bugfixes we already made (and some more)...
>
> What do you think?
>
> Esteban

Would it be hard to also preload Nautilus, as a preview ?
Many people, including myself, really like Nautilus a lot.
And it deserves it.
The counter indication would be if this would make life harder on Benjamin.

Sven

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu

Re: start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

philippeback
Esteban,

Definitely worth doing!!!

Install all the stuff I need on new images etc just to the have to
discard them for some reason doesn't makes me reinstall anything
afterwards.

Tried to work the way of Mariano with the "ConfigurationOfXXXX" but
frankly, let it fall by the wayside.

Just too many problems with loading packages that do work well together etc.

And no refactoring out of the box in 1.4 is really lame indeed. As for
Nautilus in 2.0, the regular yellow crosses on red background are
getting on my nerves, especially since I don't know why they do
appear.$

So, yeah: +100000000

Philippe

--
Philippe Back
Dramatic Performance Improvments

High Octane SPRL
rue cour Boisacq 101
1301 Bierges
Belgium

Re: start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

Ben Coman
Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I started thinking on next release of Pharo 1.4 (which will be code named "summer", not an ugly number).
> I've been monitoring the list and I think there are some things to improve, so I'm planning to add this things to new one click:
>
> - pre-load OmniBrowser.
> Why I'm suggesting this? Because nobody seems to notice that OB is actually working on 1.4 and everybody complains that "you cannot have refactors, blabla", which is just not true, but is causing a lot of bad feeling around what is a great release (yes, I'm making some constructive criticism about the list attitude, but also about our/mine communicational capabilities).
> Original idea was to allow people to choose OB or Nautilus, since the last one will be the browser for Pharo in the future, but truth is that Nautilus is still a "technology preview"... and it will be there for all those like me, who want to use it.
> Finally, most important issue is that newcomers expect to have a full environment working out of the box, and they don'y know how to use the Configuration Browser.

+1 for newcomer consideration.  Nautilus is obviously well liked by the
more experienced users who can deal better with the odd issue and
modification that pops up, but an older code base might be better for
new users for now.  Thanks for the advance notice.  I've just got to the
point in the 1.4 review of Pharo By Example that I am taking snapshots
of the browser and tossing up which browser to include.  I was leaning
towards using only the basic 1.4-built-in browser to try to make each
chapter independent of previous ones - but much happier to snapshot OB.
So unless any objections arise, I will do PBE with OB.  These will need
redoing for the 2.0 look and feel anyway, and PBE can be changed to
Nautilus then.

> - pre-load Spotlight
> Yeah, another small tool who can make your life easy.
> Why? just because I'm tired of seeing all of you typing class names at workspace and press cmd+b later... or using some more uncomfortable ways to reach your code.

That would be me.  I'm not familiar with Spotlight but it sounds like
I'll like it.
> If you still prefer those ways, is up to you ;)
>
> So far, this and the bugfixes we already made (and some more)...
>
> What do you think?
>
> Esteban

Re: start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

Yanni Chiu
On 13/06/12 5:08 AM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> - pre-load OmniBrowser.
> - pre-load Spotlight

As long as it unloads cleanly, then okay.
Would #cleanUpForProduction do the unload?

Re: start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)

On Jun 13, 2012, at 6:23 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Esteban,
>
> Definitely worth doing!!!
>
> Install all the stuff I need on new images etc just to the have to
> discard them for some reason doesn't makes me reinstall anything
> afterwards.
>
> Tried to work the way of Mariano with the "ConfigurationOfXXXX" but
> frankly, let it fall by the wayside.
>
> Just too many problems with loading packages that do work well together etc.
>
> And no refactoring out of the box in 1.4 is really lame indeed. As for
> Nautilus in 2.0, the regular yellow crosses on red background are
> getting on my nerves, especially since I don't know why they do
> appear.$

Did you open bug entries ? Send a mail ? Did something ?

Ben

> So, yeah: +100000000
>
> Philippe
>
> 2012/6/13 Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I started thinking on next release of Pharo 1.4 (which will be code named "summer", not an ugly number).
>> I've been monitoring the list and I think there are some things to improve, so I'm planning to add this things to new one click:
>>
>> - pre-load OmniBrowser.
>> Why I'm suggesting this? Because nobody seems to notice that OB is actually working on 1.4 and everybody complains that "you cannot have refactors, blabla", which is just not true, but is causing a lot of bad feeling around what is a great release (yes, I'm making some constructive criticism about the list attitude, but also about our/mine communicational capabilities).
>> Original idea was to allow people to choose OB or Nautilus, since the last one will be the browser for Pharo in the future, but truth is that Nautilus is still a "technology preview"... and it will be there for all those like me, who want to use it.
>> Finally, most important issue is that newcomers expect to have a full environment working out of the box, and they don'y know how to use the Configuration Browser.
>>
>> - pre-load Spotlight
>> Yeah, another small tool who can make your life easy.
>> Why? just because I'm tired of seeing all of you typing class names at workspace and press cmd+b later... or using some more uncomfortable ways to reach your code.
>> If you still prefer those ways, is up to you ;)
>>
>> So far, this and the bugfixes we already made (and some more)...
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Esteban
>

> --
> Philippe Back
> Dramatic Performance Improvments
> Mob: +32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: +32 (0) 70 408 027 Mail:
> [hidden email] | Web: http://philippeback.eu | Blog:
> http://philippeback.be
>
> High Octane SPRL
> rue cour Boisacq 101
> 1301 Bierges
> Belgium

Re: start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

Call it SummerRain :).

Yes this is a good idea.

What we should do also is to push and validate metacello Configs. We should really move on such topic.

Stef

On Jun 13, 2012, at 11:08 AM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I started thinking on next release of Pharo 1.4 (which will be code named "summer", not an ugly number).
> I've been monitoring the list and I think there are some things to improve, so I'm planning to add this things to new one click:
>
> - pre-load OmniBrowser.
> Why I'm suggesting this? Because nobody seems to notice that OB is actually working on 1.4 and everybody complains that "you cannot have refactors, blabla", which is just not true, but is causing a lot of bad feeling around what is a great release (yes, I'm making some constructive criticism about the list attitude, but also about our/mine communicational capabilities).
> Original idea was to allow people to choose OB or Nautilus, since the last one will be the browser for Pharo in the future, but truth is that Nautilus is still a "technology preview"... and it will be there for all those like me, who want to use it.
> Finally, most important issue is that newcomers expect to have a full environment working out of the box, and they don'y know how to use the Configuration Browser.
>
> - pre-load Spotlight
> Yeah, another small tool who can make your life easy.
> Why? just because I'm tired of seeing all of you typing class names at workspace and press cmd+b later... or using some more uncomfortable ways to reach your code.
> If you still prefer those ways, is up to you ;)
>
> So far, this and the bugfixes we already made (and some more)...
>
> What do you think?
>
> Esteban

Re: start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

philippeback
Can't help remember something old...

Clipper Summer '87.

The name was sticking for a long while.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipper_(programming_language)

You'll see the Seasonal Versions, which is quite a nice idea in fact
as it allows interesting themeing to take place.

There was a VM and blocks... A mix of a compiler and an embarked
interpreter. Wrote a ton of apps for businesses in order to pay for my
university fees. Worked well.  :-)

Philippe.

--
Philippe Back
Dramatic Performance Improvments
Mob: +32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: +32 (0) 70 408 027 Mail:
[hidden email] | Web: http://philippeback.eu | Blog:
http://philippeback.be

High Octane SPRL
rue cour Boisacq 101
1301 Bierges
Belgium

Re: start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
EstebanLM wrote
I started thinking on next release of Pharo 1.4 (which will be code named "summer", not an ugly number).
Keep us posted on the target date. I want to review bug fixes integrated in 2.0 [1] and see if any should be included for 1.4 per http://forum.world.st/Backporting-fixes-tp4633625p4633635.html

EstebanLM wrote
- pre-load Spotlight
+1. No brainer. It's small and really helpful.

Re browsers... I would definitely include either OB or Nautilus. The default is just too limiting. Nautilus does seem to be in a pretty usable state now, and it'd be helpful for new users not to have to learn two browsers in two releases...

[1] http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/list?can=1&q=status%3AIntegrated+Milestone%3D2.0+Type%3DBug
Cheers,
Sean

Re: start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

Schwab,Wilhelm K
My gripe is not so much that configs don't work together, it's that they work (very) differently over time; the work I did "last week" to build an image could be (often is) worthless "today."  Configs really need to reflect on versions and do the right thing vs. current complexity.  If pre-loading, how about FFI?

Bill

--
Philippe Back
Dramatic Performance Improvments
Mob: +32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: +32 (0) 70 408 027 Mail:
[hidden email] | Web: http://philippeback.eu | Blog:
http://philippeback.be

High Octane SPRL
rue cour Boisacq 101
1301 Bierges
Belgium

Re: start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

philippeback
FFI yes, useful as well.

--
Philippe Back
Dramatic Performance Improvements

Belgium

Re: start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

philippeback
Have been using Nautilus and OB and albeit Nautilus is nicer looking,
I find my way better with OB. Especially with the top search bar and
categorizing into protocols. More buttons under the lists in OB but I
do prefer them actually.

Phil

Belgium

Re: start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
philippeback wrote
Have been using Nautilus and OB and albeit Nautilus is nicer looking,
I find my way better with OB. Especially with the top search bar and
categorizing into protocols. More buttons under the lists in OB but I
do prefer them actually.
Overall, I like Nautilus' workflow better, but I know what you mean about the buttons. Even with the visual feedback, I'm never quite sure if I'm "in" class-side mode, or I have to hit the button to "get" class-side mode. I was missing the search bar, but with spotlight, it's moot.

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote
My gripe is... that configs... work (very) differently over time
With the current evolution of Metacello, this should not be the case. Done right, what a config loads can be 100% static and repeatable. If you load a literal version (e.g. '1.4'), which loads literal versions of dependent projects (which they should unless there is a reason not to, e.g. a loose dependency like Seaside on OB), which load literal versions all the way down, it will do the same thing today, tomorrow, and ten years from now.

The only hill to climb now is getting the word out about Metacello conventions/best practices.

Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote
If pre-loading, how about FFI?
I think "easily loadable" is the correct state, not included by default.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

philippeback
Well, spotlight is really cool indeed. Shift-Space XXX Enter. yay!

But I like to have a view on several classes and typing HOPR¨helps.

Same when exploring the system for doing something (like
sound-synthesis for example).

BTW, any new stuff on the MP3 front? I am looking at the sophie 1.0
extract of yours.

As of Pharo 1.4 Summer Release, having a somewhat cleaned up
Sound-synthesis in it would be nice.

I am currently creating a little game in Smalltalk targeting the iPad
and a game without sound is not that of a game.

For beginners and motivating people to move aboard the platform, sound
is important to have.

KR
Philippe

Belgium

Re: start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

Schwab,Wilhelm K
But if I'm building a new image *today*, I want it to do the right thing now (automatically for the current version), with the same incantation as worked months ago or months from now.   If we can't do that, the config browser is pretty much a dream vs. reality.

> My gripe is... that configs... work (very) differently over time

With the current evolution of Metacello, this should not be the case. Done
right, what a config loads can be 100% static and repeatable. If you load a
literal version (e.g. '1.4'), which loads literal versions of dependent
projects (which they should unless there is a reason not to, e.g. a loose
dependency like Seaside on OB), which load literal versions all the way
down, it will do the same thing today, tomorrow, and ten years from now.

The only hill to climb now is getting the word out about Metacello
conventions/best practices.

Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote

> If pre-loading, how about FFI?

I think "easily loadable" is the correct state, not included by default.

Re: start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
philippeback wrote
BTW, any new stuff on the MP3 front? I am looking at the sophie 1.0
extract of yours.
Not that I'm aware of... I rescued a video morph too (IIRC it should play any format that QT can handle).
Cheers,
Sean

Re: start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote
But if I'm building a new image *today*, I want it to do the right thing now (automatically for the current version), with the same incantation as worked months ago or months from now.
Absolutely! Two things about that:
* Metacello has no magic. Ultimately, what you correctly suggest requires someone to test a project on a new platform and update the config... coming soon and desperately needed: tools to help this process...
* we're all learning how to use Metacello... even as it evolves underneath us!

If you experience something other than above, please post the specific example so we can examine the configs and see what's going on...
Cheers,
Sean

Re: start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Digging through my so-called memory<g>, loading both Alien and Citezen required special attention.  Alien led to a broken image, and Citezen was simply tricky to load such that it would work.  Both required requesting specific versions in order to work.

> But if I'm building a new image *today*, I want it to do the right thing
> now (automatically for the current version), with the same incantation as
> worked months ago or months from now.

Absolutely! Two things about that:
* Metacello has no magic. Ultimately, what you correctly suggest requires
someone to test a project on a new platform and update the config... coming
soon and desperately needed: tools to help this process...
* we're all learning how to use Metacello... even as it evolves underneath
us!

If you experience something other than above, please post the specific
example so we can examine the configs and see what's going on...

Re: start thinking on summer release of Pharo 1.4

Igor Stasenko
Phil, i would be really glad to help with that,
but currently my plate is too full.
Perhaps there someone who can check it out and fix it if it broken or
miss some parts.
As Marcus says (and i like to repeat that), when something is not
used/tested daily, it only a question of time when you will find it
broken.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.