starting roassal

Usman Bhatti
Today, I worked a bit on creating some visu with Roassal. It really a nice tool.

I had a few problems though:

Non-dsl mode relies on the user to handle the drawing details. For example, the code below creates a box whose text exceeds the box boundaries. For mondrian-infested people like me, this should be automatically managed.

node := 'this is a long chain'.
view := ROWhiteView new
view title: 'TEST'.
moduleNode := (ROElement spriteOn: node) + (ROLabel new color: Color red).
view add: moduleNode.
view open.
Inline image 2

I tried to switch to the DSL mode with ROMondrianViewBuilder in Glamour but I had MessageNotUnderstood: ROMondrianViewBuilder>>camera. Did someone have a similar problem?

tx
Usman

Re: starting roassal

abergel
Hi Usman,

Thanks for giving a try to Roassal
You have spotted a bug I believe.  I will fix it beginning of next week, once back to Santiago.

For the integration with Glamour, I am not what's going on.

Cheers,
Alexandre

Le 23 mai 2012 à 12:52, Usman Bhatti <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Today, I worked a bit on creating some visu with Roassal. It really a nice tool.
>
> I had a few problems though:
>
> Non-dsl mode relies on the user to handle the drawing details. For example, the code below creates a box whose text exceeds the box boundaries. For mondrian-infested people like me, this should be automatically managed.
>

> node := 'this is a long chain'.
> view := ROWhiteView new
> view title: 'TEST'.
> moduleNode := (ROElement spriteOn: node) + (ROLabel new color: Color red).
> view add: moduleNode.
> view open.
> <Screen shot 2012-05-23 at 5.42.17 PM.png>
>

> I tried to switch to the DSL mode with ROMondrianViewBuilder in Glamour but I had MessageNotUnderstood: ROMondrianViewBuilder>>camera. Did someone have a similar problem?
>
> tx
> Usman

Re: starting roassal

abergel
By the way, you could maybe use ROLabelElement instead of ROElement in your situation until I fix this

Alexandre

Le 23 mai 2012 à 12:52, Usman Bhatti <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Today, I worked a bit on creating some visu with Roassal. It really a nice tool.
>
> I had a few problems though:
>
> Non-dsl mode relies on the user to handle the drawing details. For example, the code below creates a box whose text exceeds the box boundaries. For mondrian-infested people like me, this should be automatically managed.
>

> node := 'this is a long chain'.
> view := ROWhiteView new
> view title: 'TEST'.
> moduleNode := (ROElement spriteOn: node) + (ROLabel new color: Color red).
> view add: moduleNode.
> view open.
> <Screen shot 2012-05-23 at 5.42.17 PM.png>
>

> I tried to switch to the DSL mode with ROMondrianViewBuilder in Glamour but I had MessageNotUnderstood: ROMondrianViewBuilder>>camera. Did someone have a similar problem?
>
> tx
> Usman

Re: starting roassal

abergel
The class ROExample should also help you with the Roassal API. There are plenty of examples that involves clickable labels that get highlighted when the mouse is above.

Currently the easel is for the Mondrian dsl. I was wondering about extending the easel to be both for the Mondrian Dsl and the Roassal API.

Alexandre

Le 24 mai 2012 à 08:55, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> By the way, you could maybe use ROLabelElement instead of ROElement in your situation until I fix this
>
> Alexandre
>

> Le 23 mai 2012 à 12:52, Usman Bhatti <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>> Today, I worked a bit on creating some visu with Roassal. It really a nice tool.
>>
>> I had a few problems though:
>>
>> Non-dsl mode relies on the user to handle the drawing details. For example, the code below creates a box whose text exceeds the box boundaries. For mondrian-infested people like me, this should be automatically managed.
>>

>>    node := 'this is a long chain'.
>>    view := ROWhiteView new
>>    view title: 'TEST'.
>>    moduleNode := (ROElement spriteOn: node) + (ROLabel new color: Color red).
>>    view add: moduleNode.
>>    view open.
>> <Screen shot 2012-05-23 at 5.42.17 PM.png>
>>

>> I tried to switch to the DSL mode with ROMondrianViewBuilder in Glamour but I had MessageNotUnderstood: ROMondrianViewBuilder>>camera. Did someone have a similar problem?
>>
>> tx
>> Usman

Re: starting roassal

abergel
> node := 'this is a long chain'.
> view := ROWhiteView new
> view title: 'TEST'.
> moduleNode := (ROElement spriteOn: node) + (ROLabel new color: Color red).
> view add: moduleNode.
> view open.

It produces now the expected behavior. I removed ROWhiteView however. Use the following:
-=-=-=-= -=-=-=-= -=-=-=-= -=-=-=-=
node := 'this is a long chain'.
        view := ROView new
        view title: 'TEST'.
        moduleNode := (ROElement spriteOn: node) + (ROLabel new color: Color red).
        view add: moduleNode.
        view open.
-=-=-=-= -=-=-=-= -=-=-=-= -=-=-=-=

If you want the element to label to completely fill the element, you can do something like:
-=-=-=-= -=-=-=-= -=-=-=-= -=-=-=-=
node := 'this is a long chain'.
        view := ROView new
        view title: 'TEST'.
        moduleNode := (ROElement on: node) + ROBox + (ROLabel new color: Color red)  @ RODraggable.
        view add: moduleNode.
        view open.

@Doru: a shape can now override a method preferedExtentFor:  This method is taken into account to give a particular size to an element.
Maybe I could add a field preferedWidth and preferedHeight ...

> I tried to switch to the DSL mode with ROMondrianViewBuilder in Glamour but I had MessageNotUnderstood: ROMondrianViewBuilder>>camera. Did someone have a similar problem?

Do you still have this problem? How can I reproduce it?

Cheers,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu