classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

startup script error?

Johan Brichau-2
Hi,

We are a bit puzzled with an error we stumbled upon.

When deploying our seaside application on a GemStone Web Edition, and starting Seaside via the runSeasideGem30 script, the execution of a callback (regular or Ajax) would make the application return to its initial state.

We were able to track down the problem (at least in our application) to the startSeaside30_Adaptor script.
This script contains the line:
        System transactionMode: #manualBegin.

It appears that this had the effect that all the continuations that were set during the rendering process were lost upon start/completion of the Seaside request.
To fix this, we changed the line in the script to:
        System transactionMode: #autoBegin.

This seems to fix the problem, but is this the correct solution or are we doing something else wrong ?

In addition, I should note that when starting the application using another script (cannot remember which) it worked perfectly fine but the Gemtools were blocked (yes, it's the script that does not return..).

best regards,
Johan
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: startup script error?

Dale Henrichs
Johan,

Are you performing transactions while processing the seaside request? I
recommend that you test things pretty thoroughly if you are performing
transactions while process an HTTP request.

The standard mode for GLASS is to do a beginTransaction right before
handling an HTTP request and then doing a commit right before returning
the response, so under normal operation #manualMode is fine.

A server should be in #manualMode when it is idle. A gem that is sitting
in transaction while idle can cause repository bloat (commit record
backlog) - the stone keeps tracks of all transaction details for the
session with the oldest commit record (a commit record is created on an
abort).

If you are going to run in #automaticMode, you should make sure that
idle gems periodically abort (the system sends out a SigAbort when it
recognizes a commit record backlog building, but gems in transaction
don't get sent the sigabort).

An alternative to using #automaticMode would be to do a beginTransaction
after your commit (aborts should definitely be avoided) so that
subsequent updates aren't lost.

Dale

Johan Brichau wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are a bit puzzled with an error we stumbled upon.
>
> When deploying our seaside application on a GemStone Web Edition, and starting Seaside via the runSeasideGem30 script, the execution of a callback (regular or Ajax) would make the application return to its initial state.
>
> We were able to track down the problem (at least in our application) to the startSeaside30_Adaptor script.
> This script contains the line:
> System transactionMode: #manualBegin.
>
> It appears that this had the effect that all the continuations that were set during the rendering process were lost upon start/completion of the Seaside request.
> To fix this, we changed the line in the script to:
> System transactionMode: #autoBegin.
>
> This seems to fix the problem, but is this the correct solution or are we doing something else wrong ?
>
> In addition, I should note that when starting the application using another script (cannot remember which) it worked perfectly fine but the Gemtools were blocked (yes, it's the script that does not return..).
>
> best regards,
> Johan
Reply | Threaded
|

Johan Brichau-2
Hi Dale,

You are right. We were not correctly doing a beginTransaction after a commit.
I think we fully understand how this is supposed to work now. Thanks!

On 24 Aug 2010, at 17:20, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Johan,
>
> Are you performing transactions while processing the seaside request? I recommend that you test things pretty thoroughly if you are performing transactions while process an HTTP request.
>
> The standard mode for GLASS is to do a beginTransaction right before handling an HTTP request and then doing a commit right before returning the response, so under normal operation #manualMode is fine.
>
> A server should be in #manualMode when it is idle. A gem that is sitting in transaction while idle can cause repository bloat (commit record backlog) - the stone keeps tracks of all transaction details for the session with the oldest commit record (a commit record is created on an abort).
>
> If you are going to run in #automaticMode, you should make sure that idle gems periodically abort (the system sends out a SigAbort when it recognizes a commit record backlog building, but gems in transaction don't get sent the sigabort).
>
> An alternative to using #automaticMode would be to do a beginTransaction after your commit (aborts should definitely be avoided) so that subsequent updates aren't lost.
>
> Dale
>
> Johan Brichau wrote:
>> Hi,
>> We are a bit puzzled with an error we stumbled upon. When deploying our seaside application on a GemStone Web Edition, and starting Seaside via the runSeasideGem30 script, the execution of a callback (regular or Ajax) would make the application return to its initial state.
>> We were able to track down the problem (at least in our application) to the startSeaside30_Adaptor script.
>> This script contains the line:
>> System transactionMode: #manualBegin.
>> It appears that this had the effect that all the continuations that were set during the rendering process were lost upon start/completion of the Seaside request.
>> To fix this, we changed the line in the script to:
>> System transactionMode: #autoBegin.
>> This seems to fix the problem, but is this the correct solution or are we doing something else wrong ?
>> In addition, I should note that when starting the application using another script (cannot remember which) it worked perfectly fine but the Gemtools were blocked (yes, it's the script that does not return..).
>> best regards,
>> Johan

Reply | Threaded
|

Dale Henrichs
Johan,

If you are doing transactions during HTTP request handling, you might
consider changing the adaptors to go into automatic mode before handling
a request, then return to manual mode after handling the request (so
that proper sigAbort handling is preserved and commit record backlogs
can be avoided).

Under heavy loads race conditions can occur when doing
commit/beginTransactions where you might get an intervening sigAbort (I
think).

If you look at WAGemStoneMaintenanceTask
class>>maintenanceTaskExpiration, you'll see that to do session
expiration I go into automatic mode for the duration of the
processing...If you do something like this you want to ensure that if
the transaction drags on for some reason that you do commits at
reasonable intervals or abort the transaction ... in the case of session
expiration, the algorithm commits every 100 expired sessions ...

As I recall I was running about 1000 requests/second in the tests and
that's were I started noticing session expiration issues:)...

Dale

Johan Brichau wrote:

> Hi Dale,
>
> You are right. We were not correctly doing a beginTransaction after a commit.
> I think we fully understand how this is supposed to work now. Thanks!
>
> On 24 Aug 2010, at 17:20, Dale Henrichs wrote:
>
>> Johan,
>>
>> Are you performing transactions while processing the seaside request? I recommend that you test things pretty thoroughly if you are performing transactions while process an HTTP request.
>>
>> The standard mode for GLASS is to do a beginTransaction right before handling an HTTP request and then doing a commit right before returning the response, so under normal operation #manualMode is fine.
>>
>> A server should be in #manualMode when it is idle. A gem that is sitting in transaction while idle can cause repository bloat (commit record backlog) - the stone keeps tracks of all transaction details for the session with the oldest commit record (a commit record is created on an abort).
>>
>> If you are going to run in #automaticMode, you should make sure that idle gems periodically abort (the system sends out a SigAbort when it recognizes a commit record backlog building, but gems in transaction don't get sent the sigabort).
>>
>> An alternative to using #automaticMode would be to do a beginTransaction after your commit (aborts should definitely be avoided) so that subsequent updates aren't lost.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> Johan Brichau wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> We are a bit puzzled with an error we stumbled upon. When deploying our seaside application on a GemStone Web Edition, and starting Seaside via the runSeasideGem30 script, the execution of a callback (regular or Ajax) would make the application return to its initial state.
>>> We were able to track down the problem (at least in our application) to the startSeaside30_Adaptor script.
>>> This script contains the line:
>>> System transactionMode: #manualBegin.
>>> It appears that this had the effect that all the continuations that were set during the rendering process were lost upon start/completion of the Seaside request.
>>> To fix this, we changed the line in the script to:
>>> System transactionMode: #autoBegin.
>>> This seems to fix the problem, but is this the correct solution or are we doing something else wrong ?
>>> In addition, I should note that when starting the application using another script (cannot remember which) it worked perfectly fine but the Gemtools were blocked (yes, it's the script that does not return..).
>>> best regards,
>>> Johan
>