state of the art in seaside/magritte/glorp on Squeak/OSX/FreeBSD

state of the art in seaside/magritte/glorp on Squeak/OSX/FreeBSD

Randal L. Schwartz

So I've had my head buried in Perl for the past six months, and lost
track of where Seaside has gone.

I know Seaside 3.0 is out. And Magritte/Pier have been updated (although
the docs still look amazingly sparse :).  And there's something called
SqueakDBX for talking to Postgresql.

My client has restarted the project we began a year ago but had to set
aside for economic reasons.  I need to build a Seaside app that talks to
Postgresql, and runs on FreeBSD.  I'd prefer to use something like
Glorp, but I'm not sure that's been updated in a while in the Squeak
world, unless SqueakDBX did it.

So, what's the current state of the art for Seaside, Magritte, Glorp,
and Postgresql bindings for Squeak?  And has anyone managed to get a
modern VM running on FreeBSD... I can't seem to get the latest sources
to build (too many Linuxisms).  I'll be developing on OSX, so that's
reasonably secure.

See http://methodsandmessages.posterous.com/ for Smalltalk discussion

Re: state of the art in seaside/magritte/glorp on Squeak/OSX/FreeBSD

Pierce Ng-2
On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 10:20:51AM -0800, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
> And has anyone managed to get a modern VM running on FreeBSD...

I posted on how to build (previous version of) Cog on FreeBSD.

Re: state of the art in seaside/magritte/glorp on Squeak/OSX/FreeBSD

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 27 Jan 2011, at 19:20, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> So I've had my head buried in Perl for the past six months, and lost
> track of where Seaside has gone.
>
> I know Seaside 3.0 is out. And Magritte/Pier have been updated (although
> the docs still look amazingly sparse :).  And there's something called
> SqueakDBX for talking to Postgresql.
>
> My client has restarted the project we began a year ago but had to set
> aside for economic reasons.  I need to build a Seaside app that talks to
> Postgresql, and runs on FreeBSD.  I'd prefer to use something like
> Glorp, but I'm not sure that's been updated in a while in the Squeak
> world, unless SqueakDBX did it.
>
> So, what's the current state of the art for Seaside, Magritte, Glorp,
> and Postgresql bindings for Squeak?  And has anyone managed to get a
> modern VM running on FreeBSD... I can't seem to get the latest sources
> to build (too many Linuxisms).  I'll be developing on OSX, so that's
> reasonably secure.

Seaside + Glorp + PostgreSQL works fine for me (Mac OS X or Linux).

Some time ago, I wrote this:

        http://homepage.mac.com/svc/Reddit.st/

I wouldn't call that state of the art, but it could be a good starting point.

HTH,

Sven

Re: state of the art in seaside/magritte/glorp on Squeak/OSX/FreeBSD

EstebanLM
Hi Randal,
Glad to hear you :)
As Sven said, Squeak+Glorp+Portgresql should work out of the box (a very old version of Glorp, based on 4.1). SqueakDBX should work too, and there are a GlorpDBX package who is updated to work with SqueakDBX (still based on 4.1 version of Glorp). Currently, we are finishing a new workgroup who will (between other tasks), update glorp to latest version, this year... but that will take some time :)

Cheers,
Esteban

El 27/01/2011, a las 4:40p.m., Sven Van Caekenberghe escribió:

> On 27 Jan 2011, at 19:20, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
>
>> So I've had my head buried in Perl for the past six months, and lost
>> track of where Seaside has gone.
>>
>> I know Seaside 3.0 is out. And Magritte/Pier have been updated (although
>> the docs still look amazingly sparse :).  And there's something called
>> SqueakDBX for talking to Postgresql.
>>
>> My client has restarted the project we began a year ago but had to set
>> aside for economic reasons.  I need to build a Seaside app that talks to
>> Postgresql, and runs on FreeBSD.  I'd prefer to use something like
>> Glorp, but I'm not sure that's been updated in a while in the Squeak
>> world, unless SqueakDBX did it.
>>
>> So, what's the current state of the art for Seaside, Magritte, Glorp,
>> and Postgresql bindings for Squeak?  And has anyone managed to get a
>> modern VM running on FreeBSD... I can't seem to get the latest sources
>> to build (too many Linuxisms).  I'll be developing on OSX, so that's
>> reasonably secure.
>
> Seaside + Glorp + PostgreSQL works fine for me (Mac OS X or Linux).
>
> Some time ago, I wrote this:
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/svc/Reddit.st/
>
> I wouldn't call that state of the art, but it could be a good starting point.
>
> HTH,
>
> Sven

Re: state of the art in seaside/magritte/glorp on Squeak/OSX/FreeBSD

John McKeon
You can also use ROE to persist Magritte described objects to PostgreSQL using Magritte-Roe in the addons repo

John

http://john-mckeon.us

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 09:56:56AM +0300, Denis Kudriashov wrote:
> And you can try
> SqueakSave<http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/projects/squeaksave/index.html>exciting
> project. It should work with postgres

Ooohh. Have it work with SQLite will be cool.

Re: state of the art in seaside/magritte/glorp on Squeak/OSX/FreeBSD

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
nice

we need Randal kind of guys close and proud about the tool :)

On Jan 24, 2011, at 11:15 AM, Pierce Ng wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 10:20:51AM -0800, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
>> And has anyone managed to get a modern VM running on FreeBSD...
>
> I posted on how to build (previous version of) Cog on FreeBSD.

Re: state of the art in seaside/magritte/glorp on Squeak/OSX/FreeBSD

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 1:20 PM, Randal L. Schwartz <[hidden email]> wrote:

So I've had my head buried in Perl for the past six months, and lost
track of where Seaside has gone.

I know Seaside 3.0 is out. And Magritte/Pier have been updated (although
the docs still look amazingly sparse :).  And there's something called
SqueakDBX for talking to Postgresql.

My client has restarted the project we began a year ago but had to set
aside for economic reasons.  I need to build a Seaside app that talks to
Postgresql, and runs on FreeBSD.  I'd prefer to use something like
Glorp, but I'm not sure that's been updated in a while in the Squeak
world, unless SqueakDBX did it.

No. The Glorp version for Squeak/Pharo is still several years old. However, it has been updated at least to work in the latest Pharo (I guess squeak too but I am not sure).

You can use Glorp directly and use the PostgreSQL native driver (where you don't need the postgres client libraries), or you can use GlorpDBX with SqueakDBX driver, where you need to install OpenDBX and the PostgreSQl libraries.

So, what's the current state of the art for Seaside, Magritte, Glorp,
and Postgresql bindings for Squeak?  And has anyone managed to get a
modern VM running on FreeBSD... I can't seem to get the latest sources
to build (too many Linuxisms).  I'll be developing on OSX, so that's
reasonably secure.

Re: state of the art in seaside/magritte/glorp on Squeak/OSX/FreeBSD

Intrader Intrader
John, would you mind defining ROE or giving link?

Re: state of the art in seaside/magritte/glorp on Squeak/OSX/FreeBSD

Darius Clarke
Good idea to search squeaksource.org for names of unknown projects. :)

Click on the projects in the menu on the home page in squeak source to get the search field.

- Darius

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 9:29 AM, Fritz Schenk <[hidden email]> wrote:
John, would you mind defining ROE or giving link?

Re: state of the art in seaside/magritte/glorp on Squeak/OSX/FreeBSD

Intrader Intrader
Thanks for the information and the tip

Re: state of the art in seaside/magritte/glorp on Squeak/OSX/FreeBSD

Darius Clarke
Sorry, I meant squeaksource.com.

Re: state of the art in seaside/magritte/glorp on Squeak/OSX/FreeBSD

Intrader Intrader
By the way, in ROE stands for Relational Object Expression "library that models
the relational algebra in Squeak"

Re: state of the art in seaside/magritte/glorp on Squeak/OSX/FreeBSD

Intrader Intrader
Thanks, I have posted more info about ROE (Relational Object Expression)

Re: state of the art in seaside/magritte/glorp on Squeak/OSX/FreeBSD

Frank Shearar
On 2011/01/27 18:20, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> So, what's the current state of the art for Seaside, Magritte, Glorp,
> and Postgresql bindings for Squeak?  And has anyone managed to get a
> modern VM running on FreeBSD... I can't seem to get the latest sources
> to build (too many Linuxisms).  I'll be developing on OSX, so that's
> reasonably secure.

I successfully built a FreeBSD Cog VM not too long ago - early December.
I haven't, though, gone as far as running an image on FreeBSD. (I ran
out of time.)

frank