statically typed language

Nicolas Anquetil

Famix can be seen as a statically typed language.
For example Invocation is an association between two behaviouralEntities (if I recall correctly).

The question that bugs me is why (or how) die-hard smalltalkers [ :-) ] ended-up making that choice?

nicolas

Re: statically typed language

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

What choice exactly? You mean why have FAMIX statically typed? Actually, it is not. Only its description in terms of Fame is. And  one of the reasons why Fame is rather strongly typed is to make it easier to have it in funny languages like Java.

But, now that we are at it, declared types are not bad as long as they only affect tools and do not interfere with compilation and runtime.

Cheers,
Doru

On Apr 1, 2013, at 10:10 PM, Nicolas Anquetil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Famix can be seen as a statically typed language.
> For example Invocation is an association between two behaviouralEntities (if I recall correctly).
>
> The question that bugs me is why (or how) die-hard smalltalkers [ :-) ] ended-up making that choice?
>
> nicolas

www.tudorgirba.com

"Problem solving should be focused on describing
the problem in a way that makes the solution obvious."

Re: statically typed language

Uko2
But it becomes e bit cumbersome. For example in Smalltalk AST a variable can
be either used in a variable expression or in assignment expression, so you
can't just define a parrentExpression relation

Uko

Re: statically typed language

Tudor Girba-2
Sure. A type should be used only when it is useful.

In your case, we would need a Trait, but short of that, you can just not define the type at all.

Cheers,
Doru

On Apr 2, 2013, at 8:27 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> But it becomes e bit cumbersome. For example in Smalltalk AST a variable can
> be either used in a variable expression or in assignment expression, so you
> can't just define a parrentExpression relation
>
> Uko

www.tudorgirba.com

"What we can governs what we wish."