stdev

stepharo
Hi guys

is stdev a typical name for standardDeviation?

Because I found it sad to have mean and stdev instead of mean and
standardDeviation.

Re: stdev

philippeback

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 7:50 PM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys

is stdev a typical name for standardDeviation?

Because I found it sad to have mean and stdev instead of mean and standardDeviation.

Re: stdev

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation says

In statistics, the standard deviation (SD, also represented by the Greek letter sigma σ or the Latin letter s) is a measure that is used to quantify the amount of variation or dispersion of a set of data values.

But technically, our #stdev is only one of several variants, namely 'corrected sample standard deviation' [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation#Corrected_sample_standard_deviation]

But you probably searched for it and did not find it since it was abbreviated ...

> On 28 Sep 2016, at 20:29, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> No this is my initials. I should have copyrighted them so may be we could have decent names.
>
> Le 28/9/16 à 21:26, [hidden email] a écrit :
>> In R, it is even shorter:
>>
>> https://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-devel/library/stats/html/sd.html
>>

>> On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 7:50 PM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi guys
>>

>> is stdev a typical name for standardDeviation?
>>
>> Because I found it sad to have mean and stdev instead of mean and standardDeviation.
>>

>> Stef

Re: stdev

Ben Coman
On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 1:50 AM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi guys
>

> is stdev a typical name for standardDeviation?
>
> Because I found it sad to have mean and stdev instead of mean and
> standardDeviation.

stdev() or std() seems fairly typical.  Doesn't mean we can't be
different.  One thing though is that the typical function is what
newcomers would search on, which makes me consider it could be useful
in Spotter to have a mapping from functions in other languages to
Pharo methods.  So a user would type stdev and the top hit would be
standardDeviation.

MathCAD: stdev()
http://www.phys.uconn.edu/~Eyler/phys258/P/stats.pdf

Excel: stdev()
http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-Standard-Deviation-in-Excel

Python 3.4: stdev()
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15389768/standard-deviation-of-a-list

NumPy: std()
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15389768/standard-deviation-of-a-list

Mathworks: std()
https://au.mathworks.com/help/matlab/ref/std.html?s_tid=gn_loc_drop

SAS: std()
http://blogs.sas.com/content/iml/2012/03/05/functions-to-know-the-mean-var-and-std-functions.html

cheers -ben

Re: stdev

stepharo

Le 28/9/16 à 21:42, Sven Van Caekenberghe a écrit :
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation says
>
> In statistics, the standard deviation (SD, also represented by the Greek letter sigma σ or the Latin letter s) is a measure that is used to quantify the amount of variation or dispersion of a set of data values.
>
> But technically, our #stdev is only one of several variants, namely 'corrected sample standard deviation' [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation#Corrected_sample_standard_deviation]
>
> But you probably searched for it and did not find it since it was abbreviated ...

indeed and we have a funky abbreviation.
I started an interesting book on DSP for dummies (engineers like me) and
I would like to see
what we can do. www.dspguide.com. I like that he does not focus on math
for their correctness.

Stef

>> On 28 Sep 2016, at 20:29, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> No this is my initials. I should have copyrighted them so may be we could have decent names.
>>
>> Le 28/9/16 à 21:26, [hidden email] a écrit :
>>> In R, it is even shorter:
>>>
>>> https://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-devel/library/stats/html/sd.html
>>>

>>> On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 7:50 PM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi guys
>>>

>>> is stdev a typical name for standardDeviation?
>>>
>>> Because I found it sad to have mean and stdev instead of mean and standardDeviation.
>>>

>>> Stef

Re: stdev

stepharo
Do not worry this is so complex to define that I will define my own in
my own class

for myself. Like that I will be able to use the names I want for my
projects.

You see in Rectangle we have a protocol named fmp and I was sad to see it.

I would have preferred wtf

Stef