steam controller and Etoys

vickiS
Hi. I tried signing up for the Squeakland mailing list but I'm not sure
that worked. I was fiddling around with Etoys yesterday and remembered
getting an Xbox 360 controller working with the joystick morph in
Windows. So I tried out my Steam controller from Valve. I couldn't
connect it to the morph but Windows 10 views it as a usb keyboard/mouse
and it worked fine with the Etoys To Go app even without Steam running.
Both the toggle and the left touch pad send arrow key input that the key
press morph can capture. I am not sure if the controller functions in
Windows without Steam installed but I wasn't up for the kerfuffle
uninstalling Steam would cause just to find out. Unfortunately Steam
isn't the kind of application young children should have installed but I
thought it was cool that there's another input device out there that
works well with Etoys. I tried out Ubuntu too but I haven't used the
controller in Ubuntu for a while and I guess an update overwrote a
configuration file because the wireless dongle wouldn't work. Plugging
the controller in with a micro usb cord worked without Steam running but
strangely lsusb still didn't detect it and I couldn't connect it to the
joystick morph. Mouse and keyboard input was fine however. There may be
an open source standalone Linux driver available but again I don't know
if that is necessary. Of course to customize controller output
applications must be launched from Steam. That works for Etoys as well.

I am a hobbyist/enthusiast with an interest in educational software.
Squeak has become my favourite environment for prototyping and
experimenting and I much prefer Etoys to Scratch. Some of the issues I
have with Etoys have been already been expressed by others so I am
curious if any new versions are in the pipeline.

Thanks

Vicki

Re: steam controller and Etoys

Bert Freudenberg
Hi Vicki,

nice to hear from you!

We are indeed working on a new Etoys version.  It's a huge effort though, since we are basing it on the latest Squeak release, meaning that many years of independent development have to be reconciled. That's why we cannot promise any release date yet.

- Bert -

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 1:45 AM, Vicki S <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Steve Thomas
A new version of Etoys!!!

Best Christmas present I could wish for.  Please feel free to add me to the testing/documenting list.

Cheers,
Stephen

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 8:28 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

To some of us, writing computer programs is a fascinating game. A program is a building of thought. It is costless to build, weightless, growing easily under our typing hands. If we get carried away, its size and complexity will grow out of control, confusing even the one who created it. This is the main problem of programming. It is why so much of today's software tends to crash, fail, screw up.

When a program works, it is beautiful. The art of programming is the skill of controlling complexity. The great program is subdued, made simple in its complexity.

- Martin Harverbeke (from Eloquent JavaScript)

Re: steam controller and Etoys

Markus Schlager-2
Hi Bert,

On Wed, 7 Dec 2016, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> We are indeed working on a new Etoys version.  It's a huge effort though,

Great news! Is there help needed with localization?

Markus

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 11:04 PM, Markus Schlager <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Bert,

On Wed, 7 Dec 2016, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

We are indeed working on a new Etoys version.  It's a huge effort though,

Great news! Is there help needed with localization?

Markus

There will be need for that, certainly :) But not yet, and we have no replacement yet for the translation server we had at Sugarlabs.

- Bert -