step-by-step trace of object creation and messaging?

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

step-by-step trace of object creation and messaging?

David Epstein

Hello,

I am new to Pharo and would like to better understand how openponk.github.io works by stepping through the creation of objects and seeing the messages they send. I don't see a way to call the debugger without highlighting some problematic code. No code is problematic (that I know of). Ideally, I'd like to see what is happening when I start one of OpenPonk's examples, such as "BORM Simple Diagram". What tool or browser can I use to do this?

-david

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: step-by-step trace of object creation and messaging?

Peter Uhnak
Hi David,

> I am new to Pharo

As in you've never seen Pharo before, or that you have only limited knowledge?

All the examples are just methods in the system. E.g. the simple example is defined in class-side of BormExampleDiagrams in method #exampleDataFlows.

So you could run it from playground as "BormExampleDiagrams exampleDataFlows."

To open a debugger on any code, you can select it and press ctrl+shift+d, or right-click and select "Debug it".

I haven't really looked at BORM in quite a while as I am busy with different projects, so there are some issue related to the latest Pharo (#name deprecation, which you can disable with `Deprecation raiseWarning: false`) and Roassal (dark theme messed up the colors).

If you have questions regarding OpenPonk, you can also contact me privately.

Peter

On Tue, Aug 01, 2017 at 01:39:18PM +0000, David Epstein wrote:
> Hello,
>
>
> I am new to Pharo and would like to better understand how openponk.github.io<http://openponk.github.io> works by stepping through the creation of objects and seeing the messages they send. I don't see a way to call the debugger without highlighting some problematic code. No code is problematic (that I know of). Ideally, I'd like to see what is happening when I start one of OpenPonk's examples, such as "BORM Simple Diagram". What tool or browser can I use to do this?
>
>
> -david