store w/ postgresql : operation now in progress

store w/ postgresql : operation now in progress

Ricardo Birmann
Hi everyone,

I've been using store with a postgresql database for a while now. Yesterday, however, I had some problems trying to check in my altered code to store. When trying to connect to the database, my main VW window (the one with the transcript...) gets locked for a few minutes and then a message box opens with the message "operation now in progress" and an "ok" button.

The only thing I remember having happened is a power loss at my place two days ago, that caused my computer to shut down and VW was terminated while been connected to my repository, thus, I am not sure whether the problem is with VW or with postgres (could be a lock file that never got deleted or something like this)...

I am at work now, but as soon as I get home I'll try to open the process manager to find where it is halting...

thanks in advance for any help, it would be very much appreciated

ricardo

Re: store w/ postgresql : operation now in progress

kobetic
Ricardo Birmann wrote:
> I've been using store with a postgresql database for a while now. Yesterday,
> however, I had some problems trying to check in my altered code to store.
> When trying to connect to the database, my main VW window (the one with the
> transcript...) gets locked for a few minutes and then a message box opens
> with the message "operation now in progress" and an "ok" button.

That error message usually comes from the socket layer as an indication
of EINPROGRESS (SocketAccessor>>connectTo:timeout:). These are fairly
common but usually should go away quickly and that's what
(SocketAccessor>>handleAsyncConnect:timeout:) usually takes care of. It
seems that in your case it doesn't go away quickly enough, i.e. the OS
has trouble setting up the connection for more than
(SocketAccessor>>connectPauseInterval).

My first step would be checking out if your networking setup and OS
didn't suffer somehow from the power outage. Do other networking
applications work fine ? Even with the same host that runs the repository ?

HTH,

Martin

Re: store w/ postgresql : operation now in progress

Ricardo Birmann
Thanks Martin,

as I said, I'm at work and will only be able to check this out later today.... I'll post back as soon as I have some news...

thanks again

ricardo

On 20/01/06, Martin Kobetic <[hidden email]> wrote:
Actually, it may not be what I thought it is. I looked at the definition
of the EINPROGRESS signal (in OSErrorHolder class>>initSignals):
MySignals
        at: #operationStartedSignal
        put: (OsNotification newSignal
                        notifierString: (#operationInitiated << #dialogs >>' operation
initiated');
                        nameClass: self message: #operationStartedSignal).

As you can see the error message is different from what you've reproted.
It's been a while when I was dealing with this issue and I jumped to
conclusions too quickly it seems. I'm sorry for my misleading comment.

Just break into that error dialog (Ctrl-Y) and see where the error comes
from. That should provide some hints.

Martin

Ricardo Birmann wrote:

> Martin,
>
> My repository is working on a local database., but even restarting postgres
> didn't help.
>
> I can still connect to the cincom public repository normally.
>
> Well, I guess when you say it out loud it is kind of obvious that it is a
> database or an OS problem....
>
> Still.... any ideas?
>
> Ricardo
>
> On 20/01/06, Martin Kobetic <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>Ricardo Birmann wrote:
>>
>>>I've been using store with a postgresql database for a while now.
>>
>>Yesterday,
>>
>>>however, I had some problems trying to check in my altered code to
>>
>>store.
>>
>>>When trying to connect to the database, my main VW window (the one with
>>
>>the
>>
>>>transcript...) gets locked for a few minutes and then a message box
>>
>>opens
>>
>>>with the message "operation now in progress" and an "ok" button.
>>
>>That error message usually comes from the socket layer as an indication
>>of EINPROGRESS (SocketAccessor>>connectTo:timeout:). These are fairly
>>common but usually should go away quickly and that's what
>>(SocketAccessor>>handleAsyncConnect:timeout:) usually takes care of. It
>>seems that in your case it doesn't go away quickly enough, i.e. the OS
>>has trouble setting up the connection for more than
>>(SocketAccessor>>connectPauseInterval).
>>
>>My first step would be checking out if your networking setup and OS
>>didn't suffer somehow from the power outage. Do other networking
>>applications work fine ? Even with the same host that runs the repository
>>?
>>
>>HTH,
>>
>>Martin

Re: store w/ postgresql : operation now in progress

Ricardo Birmann
Hey Martin,

It ended up being just a silly problem with my postgres configuration.... thanks for taking the time

Ricardo