struggeling along

NorbertHartl
Hi,

I can't really follow the mailing list so some of these might
already known and fixed. I just tried to install a gemtools
client from universe. I'm using the latest pharo-dev.

Installing FFI brought up an syntax error because there is
an attempt writing to a temp. Did this change with the
closures? I think this is fixed by the version some can load
via the ScriptLoader.

Next I encountered a problem with MIMEDocument. I think it
is Issue-631. There is an incorrect usage of the MIMEDocument
interface. I changed it but wanted to store it in PharoInbox
but my image crashes if I try to.

It is:

Segmentation fault

-1178673304 UUID>initialize
-1178673420 Behavior>new:
-1178673512 >new

I updated my vm to exupery-0.15.1 but still has the same behaviour.

I attached a patch for the MIMEDocument issue on Issue-631.

Than I met InputSensor. InputSensor default returns an instance
of InputEventSensor. This looks just strange to me. Is this right?

Norbert

Re: struggeling along

Michael Rueger-6
On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 11:06 PM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Than I met InputSensor. InputSensor default returns an instance
> of InputEventSensor. This looks just strange to me. Is this right?

Welcome to the input event/sensor refactoring ;-)

Michael

Re: struggeling along

NorbertHartl
On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 23:09 +0200, Michael Rueger wrote:
> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 11:06 PM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > Than I met InputSensor. InputSensor default returns an instance
> > of InputEventSensor. This looks just strange to me. Is this right?
>
> Welcome to the input event/sensor refactoring ;-)

I take this as a "yes"!

:)

Norbert

Re: struggeling along

Dale
Norbert,

I would recommend using an older version of Pharo for GemTools - the one-click GemTools 2.3.1 preview (based on an earlier version of Pharo) is the best option, in my opinion.

I am waiting for the rate of change to slow down a bit, before trying GemTools on the latest version of Pharo.

On the other hand if you get GemTools running, let me know and I'll take it for a whirl:)

Dale

----- "Norbert Hartl" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| Hi,
|
| I can't really follow the mailing list so some of these might
| already known and fixed. I just tried to install a gemtools
| client from universe. I'm using the latest pharo-dev.
|
| Installing FFI brought up an syntax error because there is
| an attempt writing to a temp. Did this change with the
| closures? I think this is fixed by the version some can load
| via the ScriptLoader.
|
| Next I encountered a problem with MIMEDocument. I think it
| is Issue-631. There is an incorrect usage of the MIMEDocument
| interface. I changed it but wanted to store it in PharoInbox
| but my image crashes if I try to.
|
| It is:
|
| Segmentation fault
|
| -1178673304 UUID>initialize
| -1178673420 Behavior>new:
| -1178673512 >new
|
| I updated my vm to exupery-0.15.1 but still has the same behaviour.
|
| I attached a patch for the MIMEDocument issue on Issue-631.
|
| Than I met InputSensor. InputSensor default returns an instance
| of InputEventSensor. This looks just strange to me. Is this right?
|
| Norbert

Re: struggeling along

NorbertHartl
On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 14:15 -0700, Dale Henrichs wrote:
> Norbert,
>
> I would recommend using an older version of Pharo for GemTools - the one-click GemTools 2.3.1 preview (based on an earlier version of Pharo) is the best option, in my opinion.

Yes, you told me already. I just opened a new pharo after some time
and was greedy to have all the new stuff like ocompletion. So I
just gave it a try. My one click gemtools image is totally rugged
at the moment. I cannot open a class browser on the pharo side anymore.
Usually I don't need these because I only use the gemstone ones but....

> I am waiting for the rate of change to slow down a bit, before trying GemTools on the latest version of Pharo.
>
> On the other hand if you get GemTools running, let me know and I'll take it for a whirl:)

Dale, that was exactly my intention! Would be great for me to do it and
tell _you_ how it works ;)

Well, at least I saw that my debugging capabilities have improved in the
last months *g*

Norbert

> Dale
>
> ----- "Norbert Hartl" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> | Hi,
> |
> | I can't really follow the mailing list so some of these might
> | already known and fixed. I just tried to install a gemtools
> | client from universe. I'm using the latest pharo-dev.
> |
> | Installing FFI brought up an syntax error because there is
> | an attempt writing to a temp. Did this change with the
> | closures? I think this is fixed by the version some can load
> | via the ScriptLoader.
> |
> | Next I encountered a problem with MIMEDocument. I think it
> | is Issue-631. There is an incorrect usage of the MIMEDocument
> | interface. I changed it but wanted to store it in PharoInbox
> | but my image crashes if I try to.
> |
> | It is:
> |
> | Segmentation fault
> |
> | -1178673304 UUID>initialize
> | -1178673420 Behavior>new:
> | -1178673512 >new
> |
> | I updated my vm to exupery-0.15.1 but still has the same behaviour.
> |
> | I attached a patch for the MIMEDocument issue on Issue-631.
> |
> | Than I met InputSensor. InputSensor default returns an instance
> | of InputEventSensor. This looks just strange to me. Is this right?
> |
> | Norbert

Re: struggeling along

Adrian Lienhard

On May 28, 2009, at 23:06 , Norbert Hartl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I can't really follow the mailing list so some of these might
> already known and fixed. I just tried to install a gemtools
> client from universe. I'm using the latest pharo-dev.
>
> Installing FFI brought up an syntax error because there is
> an attempt writing to a temp. Did this change with the
> closures? I think this is fixed by the version some can load
> via the ScriptLoader.
>
> Next I encountered a problem with MIMEDocument. I think it
> is Issue-631. There is an incorrect usage of the MIMEDocument
> interface. I changed it but wanted to store it in PharoInbox
> but my image crashes if I try to.
>
> It is:
>
> Segmentation fault
>
> -1178673304 UUID>initialize
> -1178673420 Behavior>new:
> -1178673512 >new

Thanks for the feedback.

The segfault probably is #855 (I just created this issue now. The
problem has been discussed on May 19).

Cheers,
Adrian

Re: struggeling along

Reg Krock
Which version of Pharo would you recommend?

Reg

On 28-May-09, at 5:15 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Norbert,
>
> I would recommend using an older version of Pharo for GemTools - the
> one-click GemTools 2.3.1 preview (based on an earlier version of
> Pharo) is the best option, in my opinion.
>
> I am waiting for the rate of change to slow down a bit, before
> trying GemTools on the latest version of Pharo.
>
> On the other hand if you get GemTools running, let me know and I'll
> take it for a whirl:)
>
> Dale
>
> ----- "Norbert Hartl" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> | Hi,
> |
> | I can't really follow the mailing list so some of these might
> | already known and fixed. I just tried to install a gemtools
> | client from universe. I'm using the latest pharo-dev.
> |
> | Installing FFI brought up an syntax error because there is
> | an attempt writing to a temp. Did this change with the
> | closures? I think this is fixed by the version some can load
> | via the ScriptLoader.
> |
> | Next I encountered a problem with MIMEDocument. I think it
> | is Issue-631. There is an incorrect usage of the MIMEDocument
> | interface. I changed it but wanted to store it in PharoInbox
> | but my image crashes if I try to.
> |
> | It is:
> |
> | Segmentation fault
> |
> | -1178673304 UUID>initialize
> | -1178673420 Behavior>new:
> | -1178673512 >new
> |
> | I updated my vm to exupery-0.15.1 but still has the same behaviour.
> |
> | I attached a patch for the MIMEDocument issue on Issue-631.
> |
> | Than I met InputSensor. InputSensor default returns an instance
> | of InputEventSensor. This looks just strange to me. Is this right?
> |
> | Norbert

Reg Krock

Re: struggeling along

Dale
The 2.3.1 preview one-click is based on the dev image for 10243 and I use 10259 at work, both work fine for GemTools usage.

Dale

----- "Reg Krock" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| Which version of Pharo would you recommend?
|
| Reg
|
| On 28-May-09, at 5:15 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:
|
| > Norbert,
| >
| > I would recommend using an older version of Pharo for GemTools - the
|
| > one-click GemTools 2.3.1 preview (based on an earlier version of
| > Pharo) is the best option, in my opinion.
| >
| > I am waiting for the rate of change to slow down a bit, before
| > trying GemTools on the latest version of Pharo.
| >
| > On the other hand if you get GemTools running, let me know and I'll
|
| > take it for a whirl:)
| >
| > Dale
| >
| > ----- "Norbert Hartl" <[hidden email]> wrote:
| >
| > | Hi,
| > |
| > | I can't really follow the mailing list so some of these might
| > | already known and fixed. I just tried to install a gemtools
| > | client from universe. I'm using the latest pharo-dev.
| > |
| > | Installing FFI brought up an syntax error because there is
| > | an attempt writing to a temp. Did this change with the
| > | closures? I think this is fixed by the version some can load
| > | via the ScriptLoader.
| > |
| > | Next I encountered a problem with MIMEDocument. I think it
| > | is Issue-631. There is an incorrect usage of the MIMEDocument
| > | interface. I changed it but wanted to store it in PharoInbox
| > | but my image crashes if I try to.
| > |
| > | It is:
| > |
| > | Segmentation fault
| > |
| > | -1178673304 UUID>initialize
| > | -1178673420 Behavior>new:
| > | -1178673512 >new
| > |
| > | I updated my vm to exupery-0.15.1 but still has the same
| behaviour.
| > |
| > | I attached a patch for the MIMEDocument issue on Issue-631.
| > |
| > | Than I met InputSensor. InputSensor default returns an instance
| > | of InputEventSensor. This looks just strange to me. Is this
| right?
| > |
| > | Norbert
| > |
| > |

| Reg Krock
| [hidden email]

Re: struggeling along

Carlos Crosetti-4
GemTools: pointers?

The 2.3.1 preview one-click is based on the dev image for 10243 and I use
10259 at work, both work fine for GemTools usage.

Dale

----- "Reg Krock" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| Which version of Pharo would you recommend?
|
| Reg
|
| On 28-May-09, at 5:15 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:
|
| > Norbert,
| >
| > I would recommend using an older version of Pharo for GemTools - the
|
| > one-click GemTools 2.3.1 preview (based on an earlier version of
| > Pharo) is the best option, in my opinion.
| >
| > I am waiting for the rate of change to slow down a bit, before
| > trying GemTools on the latest version of Pharo.
| >
| > On the other hand if you get GemTools running, let me know and I'll
|
| > take it for a whirl:)
| >
| > Dale
| >
| > ----- "Norbert Hartl" <[hidden email]> wrote:
| >
| > | Hi,
| > |
| > | I can't really follow the mailing list so some of these might
| > | already known and fixed. I just tried to install a gemtools
| > | client from universe. I'm using the latest pharo-dev.
| > |
| > | Installing FFI brought up an syntax error because there is
| > | an attempt writing to a temp. Did this change with the
| > | closures? I think this is fixed by the version some can load
| > | via the ScriptLoader.
| > |
| > | Next I encountered a problem with MIMEDocument. I think it
| > | is Issue-631. There is an incorrect usage of the MIMEDocument
| > | interface. I changed it but wanted to store it in PharoInbox
| > | but my image crashes if I try to.
| > |
| > | It is:
| > |
| > | Segmentation fault
| > |
| > | -1178673304 UUID>initialize
| > | -1178673420 Behavior>new:
| > | -1178673512 >new
| > |
| > | I updated my vm to exupery-0.15.1 but still has the same
| behaviour.
| > |
| > | I attached a patch for the MIMEDocument issue on Issue-631.
| > |
| > | Than I met InputSensor. InputSensor default returns an instance
| > | of InputEventSensor. This looks just strange to me. Is this
| right?
| > |
| > | Norbert
| > |
| > |

| Reg Krock
| [hidden email]

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.

Re: struggeling along

Benoit St-Jean
Hey Reg!  Long time no talk !!!!

Depends on what you want to do...  Experiment or need something stable ?

-----------------
Benoit St-Jean
Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
Blog: lamneth.wordpress.com
A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero.
(Albert Einstein)

Which version of Pharo would you recommend?

Reg

On 28-May-09, at 5:15 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Norbert,
>
> I would recommend using an older version of Pharo for GemTools - the
> one-click GemTools 2.3.1 preview (based on an earlier version of
> Pharo) is the best option, in my opinion.
>
> I am waiting for the rate of change to slow down a bit, before
> trying GemTools on the latest version of Pharo.
>
> On the other hand if you get GemTools running, let me know and I'll
> take it for a whirl:)
>
> Dale
>
> ----- "Norbert Hartl" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> | Hi,
> |
> | I can't really follow the mailing list so some of these might
> | already known and fixed. I just tried to install a gemtools
> | client from universe. I'm using the latest pharo-dev.
> |
> | Installing FFI brought up an syntax error because there is
> | an attempt writing to a temp. Did this change with the
> | closures? I think this is fixed by the version some can load
> | via the ScriptLoader.
> |
> | Next I encountered a problem with MIMEDocument. I think it
> | is Issue-631. There is an incorrect usage of the MIMEDocument
> | interface. I changed it but wanted to store it in PharoInbox
> | but my image crashes if I try to.
> |
> | It is:
> |
> | Segmentation fault
> |
> | -1178673304 UUID>initialize
> | -1178673420 Behavior>new:
> | -1178673512 >new
> |
> | I updated my vm to exupery-0.15.1 but still has the same behaviour.
> |
> | I attached a patch for the MIMEDocument issue on Issue-631.
> |
> | Than I met InputSensor. InputSensor default returns an instance
> | of InputEventSensor. This looks just strange to me. Is this right?
> |
> | Norbert

Reg Krock

Re: struggeling along

Dale
GemStone does not provide a GUI client. For the GUI we have relied upon other Smalltalks (like VW) to provide the GUI for GemStone.

GemTools is the GLASS client GUI (OmniBrowser-based) that runs on Pharo and Squeak and provides development tools for GemStone. See [1] for more details on GemTools.

Dale

[1] http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2009/03/16/terse-guide-to-the-new-glass-tools/
----- "Carlos Crosetti" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| GemTools: pointers?

| |
| | Reg
| |
| | On 28-May-09, at 5:15 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:
| |
| | > Norbert,
| | >
| | > I would recommend using an older version of Pharo for GemTools -
| the
| |
| | > one-click GemTools 2.3.1 preview (based on an earlier version of
| | > Pharo) is the best option, in my opinion.
| | >
| | > I am waiting for the rate of change to slow down a bit, before
| | > trying GemTools on the latest version of Pharo.
| | >
| | > On the other hand if you get GemTools running, let me know and
| I'll
| |
| | > take it for a whirl:)
| | >
| | > Dale