stupid question?

FDominicus
Well I'm just wondering what's the right way to start a Server without
blocking the Pharo image from which the Servers are started.

there are so many "ways" of starting a server:
startOn does not return
and just blocks the image

But there is surely something which does not block the image.

Could someone please enligthen me about that?

Regards
Friedrich

Q-Software Solutions GmbH; Sitz: Bruchsal; Registergericht: Mannheim
Registriernummer: HRB232138; Geschaeftsfuehrer: Friedrich Dominicus

Re: stupid question?

Dale Henrichs
Friedrich,

For development you should use the runSeasideGems script. In a GemTools
client, you can start/stop/restart gems using the Admin..>>Seaside gems
menu.

For Seaisde3.0, use the class WAGemStoneRunSeasideGems to configure
which adaptor use and how many gems to run. Here's an example for
configuring fastCGI (the default):

   WAGemStoneRunSeasideGems default
     name: 'FastCGI';
     adaptorClass: WAFastCGIAdaptor;
     ports: #(9001 9002 9003).

These gems are started non-blocking. For debugging you use the remote
debugger (from the Debug button).

For production, I recommend that you use something like daemontools, see
Monty's recent email on configuring and using daemontools. The advantage
with daemontools is that your gems are restarted automatically if they
fall over for some reason.

Dale

Friedrich Dominicus wrote:

> Well I'm just wondering what's the right way to start a Server without
> blocking the Pharo image from which the Servers are started.
>
> there are so many "ways" of starting a server:
> startOn does not return
> and just blocks the image
>
> But there is surely something which does not block the image.
>
> Could someone please enligthen me about that?
>
> Regards
> Friedrich

Re: stupid question?

FDominicus
Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> writes:

> Friedrich,
>
> For development you should use the runSeasideGems script. In a
> GemTools client, you can start/stop/restart gems using the
> Admin..>>Seaside gems menu.
>
> For Seaisde3.0, use the class WAGemStoneRunSeasideGems to configure
> which adaptor use and how many gems to run. Here's an example for
> configuring fastCGI (the default):
>
>   WAGemStoneRunSeasideGems default
>     name: 'FastCGI';
>     adaptorClass: WAFastCGIAdaptor;