style: not supported for Canvas' version of (html label)?

style: not supported for Canvas' version of (html label)?

Rick Flower
I've been trying to figure out why I can't get my style="..." tags on
the following code:

(html label) for: 'sAddress';
              with: 'Address :';
              style: 'font-size: large; color: #ff0000'.

What gets generated is :

<label for="sAddress">Address :</label>

I poked around in the Seaside Canvas classes and while I didn't directly
see a style: method lying around, I did find it in the parent class
(WATagBrush)..  Is this something that was just overlooked or am I using
it wrong?

Thanks!

Re: style: not supported for Canvas' version of (html label)?

Damien Cassou-3
Rick Flower wrote:
> I've been trying to figure out why I can't get my style="..." tags on
> the following code:
>
> (html label) for: 'sAddress';
>              with: 'Address :';
>              style: 'font-size: large; color: #ff0000'.

#with: should *always* be the last message.

Do this instead:

(html label)
     for: 'sAddress';
     style: 'font-size: large; color: #ff0000';
     with: 'Address :';

Have a look at this post:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside/2005-June/005260.html

Bye

Re: style: not supported for Canvas' version of (html label)?

Rick Flower
* Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> [2006-07-26 08:37:04 +0200]:

> #with: should *always* be the last message.

Thanks Damien!  It just dawned on me that I might have been bitten by
that issue -- I had asked about that back in March or so of this year
and (now) recall Avi (I believe) telling me that with: needs to be
always at the end.  I guess I just wasn't seeing it late last night
when I was tired.. Thanks again!

RE: style: not supported for Canvas' version of (htmllabel)?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Here's an idea, how about we do,

self become: WAClosedTag new

when tag gets closed and all further calls to it throw ClosedTag exception
from WAClosedTag>>dnu? That may help the new users as well as tired seasoned
developers alike ;)

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: style: not supported for Canvas' version of (htmllabel)?

Rick Flower
* Boris Popov <[hidden email]> [2006-07-26 09:53:53 -0700]:

> Here's an idea, how about we do,
>
> self become: WAClosedTag new
>
> when tag gets closed and all further calls to it throw ClosedTag exception
> from WAClosedTag>>dnu? That may help the new users as well as tired seasoned
> developers alike ;)

Hmm.. I kinda like that idea.. I'd rather get some sort of obvious feedback
when I'm doing something wrong during some of those late night coding sessions
than to fiddle around for 1 or more hours staring at code that doesn't talk..

Anyone else?  I'll try this in my local image and see if it coughs up an error
in my current (naughty) code.. Thanks Boris!

Boris Popov wrote:
> Here's an idea, how about we do,
>
> self become: WAClosedTag new
>
> when tag gets closed and all further calls to it throw ClosedTag exception
> from WAClosedTag>>dnu? That may help the new users as well as tired seasoned
> developers alike ;)

Hey,

this is something cool. Why don't you put it in squeaksource so that
everyone can see the implementation ?

Bye

RE: style: not supported for Canvas' version of (htmllabel)?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
I would if I'd worked with Squeak, its all VisualWorks around here, but I'll
give it a try some time this week unless someone beats me to it.

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

Boris Popov wrote:
> I would if I'd worked with Squeak, its all VisualWorks around here, but I'll
> give it a try some time this week unless someone beats me to it.

You may put your code here too.

Re: style: not supported for Canvas' version of (htmllabel)?

Philippe Marschall
2006/7/26, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>:

> Boris Popov wrote:
> > Here's an idea, how about we do,
> >
> > self become: WAClosedTag new
> >
> > when tag gets closed and all further calls to it throw ClosedTag exception
> > from WAClosedTag>>dnu? That may help the new users as well as tired seasoned
> > developers alike ;)
>
> Hey,
>
> this is something cool. Why don't you put it in squeaksource so that
> everyone can see the implementation ?

A #become: after each #with:? srsly? Are you aware of the cost of
this? Afterall this is not ST-72 anymore.

Philippe

RE: style: not supported for Canvas' version of (htmllabel)?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
First of all, the cost of doing that in VisualWorks at least is so small,
you wouldn't even see it, perhaps Squeak is different, I don't know. But
also, it's easy enough to remove the safety net when #deploymentMode is
true, isn't it?

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

2006/7/26, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>:
> Boris Popov wrote:
> > Here's an idea, how about we do,
> >
> > self become: WAClosedTag new
> >
> > when tag gets closed and all further calls to it throw ClosedTag
exception
> > from WAClosedTag>>dnu? That may help the new users as well as tired
seasoned
> > developers alike ;)
>
> Hey,
>
> this is something cool. Why don't you put it in squeaksource so that
> everyone can see the implementation ?

A #become: after each #with:? srsly? Are you aware of the cost of
this? Afterall this is not ST-72 anymore.

Philippe

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

RE: style: not supported for Canvas' version of (htmllabel)?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
(re-send due to size limit on the list)

Here's VisualWorks modification, seems to work just fine, but that's not to
say there's some caveat that I may be missing in locking it up like that.

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

> I would if I'd worked with Squeak, its all VisualWorks around here, but
I'll
> give it a try some time this week unless someone beats me to it.

You may put your code here too.

WAClosedTagBrush.st (777 bytes) Download Attachment
WATagBrush-closeTag.st (406 bytes) Download Attachment
closedtag.png (30K) Download Attachment
smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

RE: style: not supported for Canvas' version of (htmllabel)?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Specifically,

WATagBrush>>closeTag
 self document closeTag: self tag.
 self session application deploymentMode
   ifFalse: [self become: WAClosedTagBrush new]

New set of VisualWorks changes is attached,

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

2006/7/26, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>:
> Boris Popov wrote:
> > Here's an idea, how about we do,
> >
> > self become: WAClosedTag new
> >
> > when tag gets closed and all further calls to it throw ClosedTag
exception
> > from WAClosedTag>>dnu? That may help the new users as well as tired
seasoned
> > developers alike ;)
>
> Hey,
>
> this is something cool. Why don't you put it in squeaksource so that
> everyone can see the implementation ?

A #become: after each #with:? srsly? Are you aware of the cost of
this? Afterall this is not ST-72 anymore.

Philippe

WATagBrush-closeTag.st (460 bytes) Download Attachment
WAClosedTagBrush.st (777 bytes) Download Attachment
smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

RE: style: not supported for Canvas' version of (htmllabel)?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
As far as the impact of doing this, VisualWork's cost is at most around 3
microseconds per become on a 3GHz P4, which surely adds up over time, but
not hugely.

a := Object new.
b := Object new.
Core.Time millisecondsToRun: [10000 timesRepeat: [a become: b]] --(3
samples)--> 26 27 25

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

2006/7/26, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>:
> Boris Popov wrote:
> > Here's an idea, how about we do,
> >
> > self become: WAClosedTag new
> >
> > when tag gets closed and all further calls to it throw ClosedTag
exception
> > from WAClosedTag>>dnu? That may help the new users as well as tired
seasoned
> > developers alike ;)
>
> Hey,
>
> this is something cool. Why don't you put it in squeaksource so that
> everyone can see the implementation ?

A #become: after each #with:? srsly? Are you aware of the cost of
this? Afterall this is not ST-72 anymore.

Philippe

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

RE: style: not supported for Canvas' version of (htmllabel)?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Philippe,

Okay, on 3.8 Squeak the same code takes 1136, 919 and 882 milliseconds in 3
samples, which justifies your desire to avoid doing this as far as I'm
concerned :) Do you think a deployment test I posted earlier is a good
compromise?

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

Boris Popov wrote:
> (re-send due to size limit on the list)
>
> Here's VisualWorks modification, seems to work just fine, but that's not to
> say there's some caveat that I may be missing in locking it up like that.

Thanks Boris -- one question though.. After applying this mod and trying
to run my existing app, I get the following complaint:

Message not understood: #deploymentMode

I'm not currently using anything but the default configuration for my
application (inherited from WAGlobalConfiguration supposedly) and I am
overriding my session class which inherits from WASession.. In debugging
into the issue, I find that the lookup of the application object is
returning a WAApplication object which has a configuration variable (of
type WAUserConfigation), but nothing here seems to have a deployment
method or variable of the same name.. Am I missing some sort of
configuration in my app to be able to determine the deploymentMode?

Thanks!

-- Rick

RE: style: not supported for Canvas' version of (htmllabel)?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Which version of Seaside are you on? I see

WAApplication>>deploymentMode

^self preferenceAt: #deploymentMode

This is version 2.6b1.58,

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

Boris Popov wrote:
> Which version of Seaside are you on? I see
>
> WAApplication>>deploymentMode
>
> ^self preferenceAt: #deploymentMode
>
> This is version 2.6b1.58,

Nope.. No such beastie in my version (2.6b1.1 from March '06)..
The only place in my image that has a deploymentMode method is in
WAGlobalConfiguration.. I checked in WAApplication and its not there..

I'll update my image to a newer version..

Thanks!

-- Rick

Rick Flower wrote:

> Boris Popov wrote:
>> Which version of Seaside are you on? I see
>> WAApplication>>deploymentMode
>>
>> ^self preferenceAt: #deploymentMode
>>
>> This is version 2.6b1.58,
>
> Nope.. No such beastie in my version (2.6b1.1 from March '06)..
> The only place in my image that has a deploymentMode method is in
> WAGlobalConfiguration.. I checked in WAApplication and its not there..
>
> I'll update my image to a newer version..

Or you can replace the call to #deploymentMode by:

self session application preferenceAt: #deploymentMode

Re: style: not supported for Canvas' version of (htmllabel)?

Philippe Marschall
Well I work on a slow, crappy, old VM and have never bitten by this
problem. So my priorities are a bit different. As seen by the code of
Rick, if you send a message to a closed tag, you will get an
exception, even if not the most useful one.

I can only speak for myself but rendering times are already in around
100ms. For me this is already the upper limit. I would not want that
to increase any more, not even in development mode.

I know that having helpful exceptions as early as possible is
important (even it most other Squeak developers disagree because that
would be Java style) but in this case I'd rather not slow down a hot
codepath. Instead I'd document it on the wiki or the FAQ. In general
more (or any) documentation about the Canvas API would be a good
thing. People keep asking the same questions again and again because
there is no documentation and examples use the old renderer.

And someone should inform Bruce Tate ;)

Philippe