suggestion for the category chooser

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi

I think that the category chooser could be improved to avoid to have
to type twice the category.
Right now
        if I want to create a category I have to know up front whether it
exist or not
        then I have to select new if it does not
        else if naively I type the new cat the ui tells me well that it is
not defined
        but in such a case I have to retype it.

The solution could be
        remove the fact that for new category we have to press new...
        when the user enter the category whether it matches or not return the
string
        that the user entered modulo with its matched string in the list.

This way as a user I do not have to choose upfront.
I want to create a cat
        I either select on the list
        or I type and there is one which I can select
        or I type and there is none in the list so we get a new one the I
typed.

Re: suggestion for the category chooser

Igor Stasenko
2009/2/22 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> Hi
>
> I think that the category chooser could be improved to avoid to have
> to type twice the category.
> Right now
>        if I want to create a category I have to know up front whether it
> exist or not
>        then I have to select new if it does not
>        else if naively I type the new cat the ui tells me well that it is
> not defined
>        but in such a case I have to retype it.
>
> The solution could be
>        remove the fact that for new category we have to press new...
>        when the user enter the category whether it matches or not return the
> string
>        that the user entered modulo with its matched string in the list.
>
> This way as a user I do not have to choose upfront.
> I want to create a cat
>        I either select on the list
>        or I type and there is one which I can select
>        or I type and there is none in the list so we get a new one the I
> typed.

it would be nice to use things like browser's search bar, so when you
start typing, a list pops up with suggested names.

> Stef

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: suggestion for the category chooser

Geert Claes
Administrator
Igor Stasenko wrote
Are you referring to the search bar which displays "C... (class search), i... (implementor search), #C... (class ref search), #s... (sender search)"?  How does this search bar actually work?

2009/2/24 Geert <[hidden email]>:

> Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>>> it would be nice to use things like browser's search bar, so when you
>>> start typing, a list pops up with
>>> suggested names.
>>

> Are you referring to the search bar which displays "C... (class search),
> i... (implementor search), #C... (class ref search), #s... (sender search)"?
> How does this search bar actually work?

no i talking about web browser.. sorry wasn't specific :)

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.