sun-earth-moon

Randy Heiland
Is it possible to squeak planetary motion?  Obviously, you can rotate the
earth about the sun by repositioning the earth's rotation center to the
center of the sun, but what about moving the moon about the (rotating)
earth?  If a sketch's rotation center had its x,y location exposed as tiles
then there could possibly be an elegant solution, but otherwise...?

While conducting another workshop with the Girl Scouts last night, Charlie,
my co-worker, came up with another scheme which I liked, to approximate
circular motion.  It consisted of:
  earth turn toward sun
  earth turn by 90
  forward

I liked this idea of a simple "tangent" and, if it worked as hoped, you
could extend it to the moon-earth too.  However, we see that it's not
exactly an "instantaneous tangent" :)
http://poincare.uits.iupui.edu/~heiland/squeak/planets

Ideas?  Thanks, Randy

Btw, I had a quick look at Randall Caton's excellent Squeak pages,
http://www.pcs.cnu.edu/~rcaton/extrasolar/students.html , but didn't see
anything that addressed this topic -- or maybe I just didn't dig deep
enough.

Re: sun-earth-moon

Bert Freudenberg-3
Am 16.02.2006 um 16:43 schrieb Randy Heiland:

> Is it possible to squeak planetary motion?

Yes. You have to embed the moon into the earth (you find "embed" in
the halo menu). Then, when you move the earth, the moon already moves
with it.

Here's an example:

        http://squeakland.org/project.jsp?http://impara.de/~bert/projects/
Sonne-Erde-Mond.001.pr

- Bert -

Re: sun-earth-moon

Randy Heiland
Wow, this looks promising!  I thought I knew embedding, but apparently not.
In my sun-earth-moon project, I have the earth away from the sun but its
rotCenter inside the sun and when I bring up the earth's embed submenu, I
see 'sun' (not 'moon').  However, when do the analogous thing with the
moon/earth, all I see in the moon's embed submenu is 'PasteUpMorph' and
'SketchMorph' - no 'earth' or 'sun'.  What's up?  Currently these sketches
live in the World, not in a playfield.

--Randy

Re: sun-earth-moon

Nicholas Bennett
randy,

I had done a sun earth moon system once and found that one could set the
rotation center fairly easily (I think one of the halo menu choices maybe,
also there I think you can tell it to display the rotation center and the
forward vector which can help visualize things).

I had used the embedding as described below, but found that if I simply
embedded earth in sun the earth would be 'unselectable' when it did not
overlap with the sun - which made it awkward if you wanted to go back and
add the moon later. I ended up painting the 'orbit center' of my 'orbiters'
as a small dot in the orbiters sketch - a bit strange maybe but it made it
very clear where the rotation center should be and ensured that the orbiters
stayed selectable when embedded.

regards,
nicholas

>From: Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>
>Subject: Re: [Squeakland] sun-earth-moon
>Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 19:08:22 +0100
>
>Am 16.02.2006 um 16:43 schrieb Randy Heiland:
>
> > Is it possible to squeak planetary motion?
>
>Yes. You have to embed the moon into the earth (you find "embed" in
>the halo menu). Then, when you move the earth, the moon already moves
>with it.
>
>Here's an example:
>
> http://squeakland.org/project.jsp?http://impara.de/~bert/projects/
>Sonne-Erde-Mond.001.pr
>
>- Bert -

Re: sun-earth-moon

Kim Rose
Alan Kay has also done some very nice "falling body" simulations --
perhaps we can send a few around.
Kim

At 1:40 PM -0500 2/16/06, Randy Heiland wrote:

>Wow, this looks promising!  I thought I knew embedding, but apparently not.
>In my sun-earth-moon project, I have the earth away from the sun but its
>rotCenter inside the sun and when I bring up the earth's embed submenu, I
>see 'sun' (not 'moon').  However, when do the analogous thing with the
>moon/earth, all I see in the moon's embed submenu is 'PasteUpMorph' and
>'SketchMorph' - no 'earth' or 'sun'.  What's up?  Currently these sketches
>live in the World, not in a playfield.
>
>--Randy

Re: sun-earth-moon

Bert Freudenberg-3
Shift-Halo-Click works easiest for me.

- Bert -

Am 16.02.2006 um 22:59 schrieb Nicholas Bennett:

> randy,
>
> I had done a sun earth moon system once and found that one could
> set the
> rotation center fairly easily (I think one of the halo menu choices
> maybe,
> also there I think you can tell it to display the rotation center
> and the
> forward vector which can help visualize things).
>
> I had used the embedding as described below, but found that if I
> simply
> embedded earth in sun the earth would be 'unselectable' when it did
> not
> overlap with the sun - which made it awkward if you wanted to go
> back and
> add the moon later. I ended up painting the 'orbit center' of my
> 'orbiters'
> as a small dot in the orbiters sketch - a bit strange maybe but it
> made it
> very clear where the rotation center should be and ensured that the
> orbiters
> stayed selectable when embedded.
>
> regards,
> nicholas
>

>> From: Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: Re: [Squeakland] sun-earth-moon
>> Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 19:08:22 +0100
>>
>> Am 16.02.2006 um 16:43 schrieb Randy Heiland:
>>
>>> Is it possible to squeak planetary motion?
>>
>> Yes. You have to embed the moon into the earth (you find "embed" in
>> the halo menu). Then, when you move the earth, the moon already moves
>> with it.
>>
>> Here's an example:
>>
>> http://squeakland.org/project.jsp?http://impara.de/~bert/projects/
>> Sonne-Erde-Mond.001.pr
>>
>> - Bert -

Re: sun-earth-moon

Fernando-12
Another approach:

I'm using this simulation in Primary School, third level (eight years old). Children try to simulate [1] Eatrh's spin on his axis and [2] Eatrh's rotate around the Sun. Well, this is very interesting because a lot of them still think the sun rotate around the Earth!!

With basic eToy, the construct and investigate these two processes. First they paint a circular solid Base and then embed the Earth in this Base (Randy's solution is amazing but they don't know degrees).

    [1] Go and Rotate for Base scketch
    [2] Only Rotate for the Earth

Fernando.

Nicholas Bennett <[hidden email]> escribió:
randy,

I had done a sun earth moon system once and found that one could set the
rotation center fairly easily (I think one of the halo menu choices maybe,
also there I think you can tell it to display the rotation center and the
forward vector which can help visualize things).

I had used the embedding as described below, but found that if I simply
embedded earth in sun the earth would be 'unselectable' when it did not
overlap with the sun - which made it awkward if you wanted to go back and
add the moon later. I ended up painting the 'orbit center' of my 'orbiters'
as a small dot in the orbiters sketch - a bit strange maybe but it made it
very clear where the rotation center should be and ensured that the orbiters
stayed selectable when embedded.

regards,
nicholas

>From: Bert Freudenberg
>Subject: Re: [Squeakland] sun-earth-moon
>Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 19:08:22 +0100
>
>Am 16.02.2006 um 16:43 schrieb Randy Heiland:
>
> > Is it possible to squeak planetary motion?
>
>Yes. You have to embed the moon into the earth (you find "embed" in
>the halo menu). Then, when you move the earth, the moon already moves
>with it.
>
>Here's an example:
>
> http://squeakland.org/project.jsp?http://impara.de/~bert/projects/
>Sonne-Erde-Mond.001.pr