support for gradually filing in packages?

support for gradually filing in packages?

Günther Schmidt
Hi,

is there support in Dolphin to partially file in code from a package?

Ie. when I'm trying to snitch some of the absolutely divine code found
in VW over to Dolphin, I can file the VW parcels out in Dolphin V4
package format.

But then filing them in is a real pain, because of missing / clashing
methods or classes and so on.

The Dolphin package loader seems to work on the basis all or nothing,
which in this case means *noting*.

Anybody know of a solution for that?

BTW STS is *not* the answer, I wish it was.

Günther

Re: support for gradually filing in packages?

Ian Bartholomew-21
Günther,

> Anybody know of a solution for that?

You can open package in the ChunkBrowser and then select the individual
chunks you want to install.

--
Ian

Use the Reply-To address to contact me.

Re: support for gradually filing in packages?

David Gorisek-5
Why is STS not the answer? Start with importing VW parcel into STS
repository. Then try loading it. STS will only load code that compiles.
Afterwards you can use "Compare package with..." menu option and see
what is left and couldn't be compiled... It is very easy.

Best regards,

David Gorisek

Ian Bartholomew wrote:
> Günther,
>
>> Anybody know of a solution for that?
>

> You can open package in the ChunkBrowser and then select the individual
> chunks you want to install.

I'll try that, thanks Ian.

Never used the ChunkBrowser, almost forgot it exists.

David Gorisek wrote:
> Why is STS not the answer? Start with importing VW parcel into STS
> repository. Then try loading it. STS will only load code that compiles.
> Afterwards you can use "Compare package with..." menu option and see
> what is left and couldn't be compiled... It is very easy.
>
> Best regards,
>
> David Gorisek

Well David,

STS is an excellent tool as long as you're dealing with Dolphin code
exclusively.

But trying to use it as a porting tool I do not recommend. And I presume
that it's not its primary purpose anyway.

Sometimes STS folds for instance when Sqeak file-outs do not have their
date format in a particular order. I reckon you have rolled your own
parser not build on top of Smacc.

It also folds with certain errors like "Undefined Object does not know
how to" or whatever when I click on a class in an imported package
(within the project edition browser, Squeak or VW import). It insists
that the developer is nil or something, and I know I did set a developer.

David, STS *is* a great help, as I said for Dolphin Code, and thank you
very much for giving it to the community.

Günther

Re: support for gradually filing in packages?

Günther Schmidt
Ian,

please tell me that you have a manual for the chunk browser somewhere.

Günther

Re: support for gradually filing in packages?

Ian Bartholomew-21
Günther,

> please tell me that you have a manual for the chunk browser somewhere.

Ummm <fx: shuffles feet in embarrassment>

I decided it was so simple it didn't need one :-)

There's some scribblings about the Dolphin 4 version at ...

http://www.idb.me.uk/goodies4/chunkbrowser.html

... but nothing for later version.  I _do_ intend to write some but
getting up the enthusiasm to write it is beyond me at the moment.  I
_hate_ doing documentation :-(

For what you want to do it should be reasonably simple though.

- Use the file menu to open the pac file.
- The chunks should be in roughly the correct order.
- Deselect all the "chunk type" buttons except for class definitions.
- Select the classes you want and "restore selected chunks".
- Deselect all the "chunk type" buttons except for method definitions.
- Find the methods for each of the classes class, select them and
"restore selected chunks"

Feel free to ask here, or via email, if you need some more pointers.

--
Ian

Use the Reply-To address to contact me.

Re: support for gradually filing in packages?

David Gorisek-5
Guenther,

I must disagree here. I am myself using STS to keep OmniBase in sync
across dialect and OmniBase is available for VW, Squeak, Dolphin, STX
and VAST (ok, I must admit all ports are not always up-to-date but this
is simply because I don't have much time to do it).

Keeping the code in sync across dialects means that I import e.g. the VW
version of OmniBase into Dolphin, then compare it with the most
up-to-date Dolphin version and then export changes between them to VW as
a VW change set file. In VW I can then replay changes to get an
up-to-date version. In STS changes browser you will also notice an
option which allows you to ignore method category and white space
changes in the code. This comes very handy when you are comparing
imported code from other dialect with the Dolphin code. So you can see
that STS is very much a porting tool too.

But what you are refering to are simple STS bugs which can be solved by
changing a line or two, just adding an extra condition here and there in
the code. I was not previously aware of the bugs you are refering to
simply because:

a. Squeak bug; my version of Squeak never emits dates in a different
format and for what I needed it to do it was enough. I would also
presume that package file out format would be NLS independent, but looks
like it is not.

b. By some coincidence I always set developer info when I am doing code
import. Therefore the other bug you are mentioning never occured to me.
This is now fixed in the upcoming X6 version of STS (included with X6).

So if you have any more bugs to report please let me know because before
X6 goes out I will have one or two more STS bugfixing sessions where I
will go over open bugs & issues.

Best regards,

David Gorisek