suppressing herald in a Reshacked image

Charles A. Monteiro-2
I now have my naked notice-like UI which shows my parcels loading at
startup etc, and so I did not specify a bmp i.e. I did not do the
following in my reshack process:

ResHacker -addoverwrite my.exe, my.exe, logo.bmp, bitmap,324,

however when I launch my.exe

I see the default herald i.e. the herald string within a white rectangle.

sending the command option -noherald does not work i.e.

my.exe -noherald

and perhaps it was not meant to ever work i.e. the pattern is usually

visual.exe -noherald my.im

Anyhow, all of this sounds familiar.

I want to start my app and see "nothing" at all splash up and I need to do
this in a reshacked image.

tia,

Charles A. Monteiro

RE: suppressing herald in a Reshacked image

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Do the following in your image prior to saving it to be bundled with the VM
in the single exe,

ObjectMemory registerObject: false withEngineFor: 'showHerald'

Easiest would be in your pre-strip method if you're using RTP.

Hope this helps,

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: suppressing herald in a Reshacked image

Charles A. Monteiro-2
Boris:

thank you very much. BTW, I have said bye, bye to RTP.

evaluating this:

ObjectMemory registerObject: false withEngineFor: 'showHerald'

generates a primitive failure, specifically a systemError of:

#'no match'

further in my image note the following:

ObjectMemory registrationNames #('ISA' 'ScavengeSemaphore' 'imageName'
'sysOopRegistry' 'acceptQuitEvents' 'catchExternalCallErrors'
'IEEEFloatingPointPrimitives' 'windowLabelEncoding' 'BitBltPlugin')

  "The primitive fails informatively.  If the purpose argument does not
         encode an ASCII string the failure code is #'bad argument'.  If the
         purpose argument names an unknown purpose the failure code is
         #'no match'. If the object is not a valid type for the purpose the
         failure code is #'inappropriate operation'."

I'm running VW 7.3 on WinXP service pack 1.

-Charles

Charles A. Monteiro

Re: suppressing herald in a Reshacked image

Dave Stevenson-2
Try #showHerald instead of 'showHerald'

Dave

-covering message-

+-----------------------------
| Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 14:33:50 -0500
| From: "Charles A. Monteiro" <[hidden email]>
| Subject: Re: suppressing herald in a Reshacked image

| Boris:

| thank you very much. BTW, I have said bye, bye to RTP.

| evaluating this:

| ObjectMemory registerObject: false withEngineFor: 'showHerald'

| generates a primitive failure, specifically a systemError of:

| #'no match'

| further in my image note the following:

| ObjectMemory registrationNames #('ISA' 'ScavengeSemaphore' 'imageName'
| 'sysOopRegistry' 'acceptQuitEvents' 'catchExternalCallErrors'
| 'IEEEFloatingPointPrimitives' 'windowLabelEncoding' 'BitBltPlugin')

|   "The primitive fails informatively.  If the purpose argument does not
| encode an ASCII string the failure code is #'bad argument'.  If the
| purpose argument names an unknown purpose the failure code is
| #'no match'. If the object is not a valid type for the purpose the
| failure code is #'inappropriate operation'."

| I'm running VW 7.3 on WinXP service pack 1.

| -Charles

| On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 14:14:19 -0500, Boris Popov <[hidden email]>
| wrote:

| > Do the following in your image prior to saving it to be bundled with the
| > VM
| > in the single exe,
| >
| > ObjectMemory registerObject: false withEngineFor: 'showHerald'
| >
| > Easiest would be in your pre-strip method if you're using RTP.
| >
| > Hope this helps,
| >
| > -Boris
| >

| --
| Charles A. Monteiro

RE: suppressing herald in a Reshacked image

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
I believe this is new to 7.4, but you should be able to use 7.4 VM with your
7.3 images if you don't want to go through the upgrade process at the
moment. Please note that you won't be able to open these images with 7.3 VM
once you start using 7.4 version,

ObjectMemory registrationNames

'ISA'
'moniker'
'ScavengeSemaphore'
'imageName'
'sysOopRegistry'
'acceptQuitEvents'
'vmIsUnicode'
'heraldString'
'showHerald'
'IEEEFloatingPointPrimitives'
'BitBltPlugin'

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

--
Charles A. Monteiro

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: suppressing herald in a Reshacked image

Charles A. Monteiro-2
nope, this:

ObjectMemory registerObject: false withEngineFor: #showHerald

generates the same error i.e. a "no match"

btw, where do I find out what I can do with this API? #showHerald does not
show up as an option in the comments for this method.

See:

Register the first argument, an arbitrary object, to be used for a purpose
         specified by the second argument, a ByteString or ByteArray in ASCII
         encoding.  The list of purposes and appropriate objects is:
                ScavengeSemaphore; a semaphore to signal after each scavenge
         and on Unix platforms most of the following:
                SIGCHLD; a semaphore signalled when the VM process receives the SIGCHLD
signal
                SIGCONT; a semaphore signalled when the VM process receives the SIGCONT
signal
                SIGHUP; a semaphore signalled when the VM process receives the SIGHUP
signal
                SIGINT; a semaphore signalled when the VM process receives the SIGINT
signal
                SIGIO; a semaphore signalled when the VM process receives the SIGIO
signal (a.k.a. SIGPOLL)
                SIGPIPE; a semaphore signalled when the VM process receives the SIGPIPE
signal
                SIGQUIT; a semaphore signalled when the VM process receives the SIGQUIT
signal
                SIGTERM; a semaphore signalled when the VM process receives the SIGTERM
signal
                SIGURG; a semaphore signalled when the VM process receives the SIGURG
signal
                SIGUSR1; a semaphore signalled when the VM process receives the SIGUSR1
signal
                SIGUSR2; a semaphore signalled when the VM process receives the SIGUSR2
signal
         The definitive list of the purposes is answered by ObjectMemory
class>>#registrationNames,
         and is more dependable than this comment.

Charles A. Monteiro

Re: suppressing herald in a Reshacked image

Bob Westergaard-2

> I'm running VW 7.3 on WinXP service pack 1.

I need to double-check the release notes and doc, however, I'm fairly
ceratin that this feature only works in VW 7.4.

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006, Robert Westergaard wrote:

> > I'm running VW 7.3 on WinXP service pack 1.
>
> I need to double-check the release notes and doc, however, I'm fairly
> ceratin that this feature only works in VW 7.4.

Just double-checked the release notes.  See page 16 of:

        VisualWorks 7.4 Release Notes

Re: suppressing herald in a Reshacked image

Mark Pirogovsky-3
You can control the noHErlad things if you create the resources Strings
with the "-noShow" using the resHacker.

See aPackaging.txt - they have a discussion on that.

or you just import the attached .REs wiht the reshacker.

--Mark

Also you can add the version info

Robert Westergaard wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Mar 2006, Robert Westergaard wrote:
>

>>>I'm running VW 7.3 on WinXP service pack 1.
>>
>>I need to double-check the release notes and doc, however, I'm fairly
>>ceratin that this feature only works in VW 7.4.
>

> Just double-checked the release notes.  See page 16 of:
>
> VisualWorks 7.4 Release Notes

STRINGTABLE
     LANGUAGE 1033, 1
     BEGIN
          1 "-nologo"
          2 "-nosound"
          3 "-z"
          4 "8m"
     END

1 VERSIONINFO
FILEVERSION 6,0,170,73
PRODUCTVERSION 6,0,170,73
FILEOS 0x4
FILETYPE 0x1
{
BLOCK "StringFileInfo"
{
        BLOCK "040904B0"
        {
                VALUE "CompanyName", ", Inc."
                VALUE "FileDescription", "foo bar"
                VALUE "FileVersion", "6,0,170,73"
                VALUE "InternalName", "foobar"
                VALUE "LegalCopyright", "(c) 1996-2005 ,Inc."
                VALUE "LegalTrademarks", "what ever"
                VALUE "OriginalFilename", "Ai fff"
                VALUE "ProductName", "Ai ff"
                VALUE "ProductVersion", "6,0,170,73"
                VALUE "Comments", "First beta with the Forecast and modes"
                VALUE "Notes", ""
        }
}

BLOCK "VarFileInfo"
{
        VALUE "Translation", 0x0409 0x04B0
}
}

command-line.RES (190 bytes) Download Attachment
ver_info_blank.RES (1K) Download Attachment

Re: suppressing herald in a Reshacked image

Mark Pirogovsky-3
To add the string to the Herald Window white box you do the following:

ObjectMemory setHeraldString: 'MyApplication © November 22, 1999'

before you save your image.

To suppress the Splash screen in the resHacked image you have to edit a
string table of the resulting exe.  Se my other e-mail on the subject.

I don't understand one thing:

How difficult it is for the Cincom to allow control of the splash and
startup sound from the command line in the single EXE "-nologo,
-nogherald -nosound?  Right now it  either on or off, depending how you
create your EXE without any outside control over it.

There are quite a few people who would benefit from it .  I  was
complaining about this for over a year.

NOw I am about to hack the VM code, I recompile the VM, even though I am
not very comfortable to do this.

--Mark

Charles A. Monteiro wrote:

> I now have my naked notice-like UI which shows my parcels loading at
> startup etc, and so I did not specify a bmp i.e. I did not do the
> following in my reshack process:
>
> ResHacker -addoverwrite my.exe, my.exe, logo.bmp, bitmap,324,
>
> however when I launch my.exe
>
> I see the default herald i.e. the herald string within a white rectangle.
>
> sending the command option -noherald does not work i.e.
>
> my.exe -noherald
>
> and perhaps it was not meant to ever work i.e. the pattern is usually
>
> visual.exe -noherald my.im
>
> Anyhow, all of this sounds familiar.
>
> I want to start my app and see "nothing" at all splash up and I need to
> do  this in a reshacked image.
>
> tia,

RE: suppressing herald in a Reshacked image

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
But you *are* in control of it as of 7.4 and you don't have to edit a string
table of an exe in any way, all you need to do is

ObjectMemory registerObject: false withEngineFor: 'showHerald'

when you build your image for packaging. Also, who are you thinking of when
you say a few people would benefit from being able to control these kinds of
things in a different way than what's described above?

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

To add the string to the Herald Window white box you do the following:

ObjectMemory setHeraldString: 'MyApplication C November 22, 1999'

Charles A. Monteiro wrote:

> I now have my naked notice-like UI which shows my parcels loading at
> startup etc, and so I did not specify a bmp i.e. I did not do the
> following in my reshack process:
>
> ResHacker -addoverwrite my.exe, my.exe, logo.bmp, bitmap,324,
>
> however when I launch my.exe
>
> I see the default herald i.e. the herald string within a white rectangle.
>
> sending the command option -noherald does not work i.e.
>
> my.exe -noherald
>
> and perhaps it was not meant to ever work i.e. the pattern is usually
>
> visual.exe -noherald my.im
>
> Anyhow, all of this sounds familiar.
>
> I want to start my app and see "nothing" at all splash up and I need to
> do  this in a reshacked image.
>
> tia,

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: suppressing herald in a Reshacked image

Cesar Rabak
Boris Popov escreveu:
> But you *are* in control of it as of 7.4 and you don't have to edit a string
> table of an exe in any way, all you need to do is
>
> ObjectMemory registerObject: false withEngineFor: 'showHerald'
>
> when you build your image for packaging. Also, who are you thinking of when
> you say a few people would benefit from being able to control these kinds of
> things in a different way than what's described above?

Boris,

I see the Mark's point 'few people' as 'users in general' which, once
the application is built and tested, would not write Smalltalk snippets,
but rather use the app.

Among these users, you may have sys admins who may be in charge of doing
the installation, and tweaking the 'shortcut' for the application is a
litle more 'natural'.

my 0.0199999...

--
Cesar Rabak
GNU/Linux User 52247.
Get counted: http://counter.li.org/

RE: suppressing herald in a Reshacked image

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Let me put it this way, how many applications out there have the command
line switch that turns off the splash screen? Say Photoshop, Word or
Mathematica? Usually those splashes are there for a reason and there really
isn't *that* much value in being able to control it via command line. That's
not to say it would be a bad thing to have, my only point is that at this
point Cincom resources could be utilized in much better ways :)

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

> But you *are* in control of it as of 7.4 and you don't have to edit a
string
> table of an exe in any way, all you need to do is
>
> ObjectMemory registerObject: false withEngineFor: 'showHerald'
>
> when you build your image for packaging. Also, who are you thinking of
when
> you say a few people would benefit from being able to control these kinds
of
> things in a different way than what's described above?

Boris,

I see the Mark's point 'few people' as 'users in general' which, once
the application is built and tested, would not write Smalltalk snippets,
but rather use the app.

Among these users, you may have sys admins who may be in charge of doing
the installation, and tweaking the 'shortcut' for the application is a
litle more 'natural'.

my 0.0199999...

--
Cesar Rabak
GNU/Linux User 52247.
Get counted: http://counter.li.org/

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: suppressing herald in a Reshacked image

Charles A. Monteiro-2
So I have to ask, is 7.4 stable? Anything working in 7.3 that got broken
in 7.4?

-Charles

Charles A. Monteiro

Re: suppressing herald in a Reshacked image

Mark Pirogovsky-3
Charles,

It is hard to answer it depends on what are you using, and something
would require some rewrite. To be on the safe side, I would wait while
at least 7.4.1 to come out before I would migrate to it from 7.3.  The
release note seem to indicate work in progress in some areas, which may
or may not affect you.

My 2c.

Charles A. Monteiro wrote:

> So I have to ask, is 7.4 stable? Anything working in 7.3 that got
> broken  in 7.4?
>
> -Charles
>
> On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 16:30:01 -0500, Boris Popov
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> But you *are* in control of it as of 7.4 and you don't have to edit a
>> string
>> table of an exe in any way, all you need to do is
>>
>> ObjectMemory registerObject: false withEngineFor: 'showHerald'
>>
>> when you build your image for packaging. Also, who are you thinking
>> of  when
>> you say a few people would benefit from being able to control these
>> kinds of
>> things in a different way than what's described above?
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> -Boris

RE: suppressing herald in a Reshacked image

Steven Kelly
Charles asked:
> So I have to ask, is 7.4 stable? Anything working in 7.3 that
> got broken in 7.4?

I guess Boris's problem below fits in that category: Bob's answer is
below and patch is attached.

The IE plugin is also broken:
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/CincomSmalltalkWiki/VW+7.4+Patches

Steve

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006, Boris Popov wrote:

> We've just upgraded our development and production environments to 7.4

> and I'm glad to report that our issue with VM process disappearing is
> still alive and kicking ;) Its fairly easy to reproduce in the vanilla

> image, all you need to do is
>
> - Start the image
> - File > Open File...
> - Desktop
> - Move the mouse over any .txt file until the tooltip shows up
> - Cancel
> - File > Open File...
> - Desktop
> - Move the mouse over any .txt file until the VM promptly shuts down
Robert Westergaard [[hidden email]] replied:
Attached is something to try out (AR 49997).  We saw this late in the
7.4 cycle, but to late to address in our builds.  We'll try to get an
offical patch up on the web site in the next week or to.  Another bit of
data, is that it seems to be connected to the installation of Acrobat 7.

dialog.st (2K) Download Attachment

Re: suppressing herald in a Reshacked image

Charles A. Monteiro-2
well, I can live with  both of those bugs. Right now, I'm just considering
deploying on the 7.4 vm so that I can use the "registerObject ..." api.
I'll run my auto build process against a 7.4. image and see how far I get
etc.

-Charles

Charles A. Monteiro

Re: suppressing herald in a Reshacked image

Charles A. Monteiro-2
oh btw, keep in mind that I'm still on 7.3 so if I were to upgrade to
anything and given that I need the "registerObject ..." capabilities, not
to mention that maybe the Oracle connection pooling could be useful and
support of MQ etc, it seems that going for 7.4 would be something I may be
inclined to do.

Boris, since you have ported to 7.4 have you since your last posts on the
issue found anything else that would make you recommend folks to wait for
7.4.1?

thanks

Charles A. Monteiro

RE: suppressing herald in a Reshacked image

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Not really, we've been running our production system with 7.4 for good 2
months now without any issues that could be attributes to 7.4 specifically.
Even though we don't exercise all frameworks available, we cover quite a bit
from MSSQL backend running through ODBC to some simple servlets to process
requests, so I'd say its been a good experience so far, unlike a typical
Windows upgrade where indeed one should wait for SP1 every time :)

My C$0.02,

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

wrote:

> Charles asked:
>> So I have to ask, is 7.4 stable? Anything working in 7.3 that
>> got broken in 7.4?
>
> I guess Boris's problem below fits in that category: Bob's answer is
> below and patch is attached.
>
> The IE plugin is also broken:
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/CincomSmalltalkWiki/VW+7.4+Patches
>
> Steve
>
> On Thu, 2 Feb 2006, Boris Popov wrote:
>
>> We've just upgraded our development and production environments to 7.4
>
>> and I'm glad to report that our issue with VM process disappearing is
>> still alive and kicking ;) Its fairly easy to reproduce in the vanilla
>
>> image, all you need to do is
>>
>> - Start the image
>> - File > Open File...
>> - Desktop
>> - Move the mouse over any .txt file until the tooltip shows up
>> - Cancel
>> - File > Open File...
>> - Desktop
>> - Move the mouse over any .txt file until the VM promptly shuts down
>
> Robert Westergaard [[hidden email]] replied:
> Attached is something to try out (AR 49997).  We saw this late in the
> 7.4 cycle, but to late to address in our builds.  We'll try to get an
> offical patch up on the web site in the next week or to.  Another bit of
> data, is that it seems to be connected to the installation of Acrobat 7.

--
Charles A. Monteiro

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

AW: suppressing herald in a Reshacked image

Christian Haider
I second Boris. No problems with the 7.4 so far.

Cheers,
        Christian