syntax highlighting - how?

Cameron Sanders-3

Sorry to ask such a basic question, but how do I enable syntax
highlighting in Pharo? I updated to the 4.0-closure vm (on a Mac) two
weeks ago. Shout is not in the package list in Monticello, so do I
need to add some repository? I have searched the preferences on words
like color, syntax, highlight, and variations, and I struck out.

And when I have a question like this, what is the best place to look
for the answer? Many squeak specific notes (historical postings) do
not seem to always apply to Pharo.

4.0 seems to be working great!

thanks in advance,
Cam S

Re: syntax highlighting - how?

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 1:43 PM, Cameron Sanders <[hidden email]> wrote:

Sorry to ask such a basic question, but how do I enable syntax
highlighting in Pharo? I updated to the 4.0-closure vm (on a Mac) two
weeks ago. Shout is not in the package list in Monticello, so do I
need to add some repository? I have searched the preferences on words
like color, syntax, highlight, and variations, and I struck out.

What image are you using ? If you use core, you won't have all this. You must use dev image for those things.

And when I have a question like this, what is the best place to look
for the answer? Many squeak specific notes (historical postings) do
not seem to always apply to Pharo.

I think this is a good place. But perhaps another tell us a better place :)

Cheers,

Mariano

4.0 seems to be working great!

thanks in advance,
Cam S

Re: syntax highlighting - how?

Cameron Sanders-3

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 1:43 PM, Cameron Sanders <[hidden email]> wrote:

Sorry to ask such a basic question, but how do I enable syntax
highlighting in Pharo? I updated to the 4.0-closure vm (on a Mac) two
weeks ago. Shout is not in...

What image are you using ? If you use core, you won't have all this. You must use dev image for those things.

Oh, I thought I grabbed the dev... but it looks like I started with Core -- thank you.

I think this is a good place. But perhaps another tell us a better place :)

This is a great place! Thanks Mariano.

-Cam

Re: syntax highlighting - how?

hernanmd
Try

ScriptLoader loadShout

On Apr 21, 2009, at 4:43 PM, Cameron Sanders wrote:

> Sorry to ask such a basic question, but how do I enable syntax
> highlighting in Pharo? I updated to the 4.0-closure vm (on a Mac) two
> weeks ago. Shout is not in the package list in Monticello, so do I
> need to add some repository? I have searched the preferences on words
> like color, syntax, highlight, and variations, and I struck out.
>
> And when I have a question like this, what is the best place to look
> for the answer? Many squeak specific notes (historical postings) do
> not seem to always apply to Pharo.

Ask here and edit the wiki if necessary to create accurate snippet and
information

> 4.0 seems to be working great!
>
> thanks in advance,
> Cam S

Re: syntax highlighting - how?

Lukas Renggli
What about a collection of scripts that build images?

- Damien could put his script for the popular dev images.
- I could put mine there with the fancy tweaks to get a strange UI.
- ... and I am sure that there are more around.

etc.

Lukas

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Apr 21, 2009, at 4:43 PM, Cameron Sanders wrote:
>

>> Sorry to ask such a basic question, but how do I enable syntax
>> highlighting in Pharo? I updated to the 4.0-closure vm (on a Mac) two
>> weeks ago. Shout is not in the package list in Monticello, so do I
>> need to add some repository? I have searched the preferences on words
>> like color, syntax, highlight, and variations, and I struck out.
>>
>> And when I have a question like this, what is the best place to look
>> for the answer? Many squeak specific notes (historical postings) do
>> not seem to always apply to Pharo.
>
> Ask here and edit the wiki if necessary to create accurate snippet and
> information
>>

>> 4.0 seems to be working great!
>>
>> thanks in advance,
>> Cam S

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: syntax highlighting - how?

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
What about a collection of scripts that build images?

- Damien could put his script for the popular dev images.
- I could put mine there with the fancy tweaks to get a strange UI.

mmmmmm. What are you talking about ? Now I am curious haha.

- ... and I am sure that there are more around.

+1

It would be nice to have this.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Apr 21, 2009, at 4:43 PM, Cameron Sanders wrote:
>

>> Sorry to ask such a basic question, but how do I enable syntax
>> highlighting in Pharo? I updated to the 4.0-closure vm (on a Mac) two
>> weeks ago. Shout is not in the package list in Monticello, so do I
>> need to add some repository? I have searched the preferences on words
>> like color, syntax, highlight, and variations, and I struck out.
>>
>> And when I have a question like this, what is the best place to look
>> for the answer? Many squeak specific notes (historical postings) do
>> not seem to always apply to Pharo.
>
> Ask here and edit the wiki if necessary to create accurate snippet and
> information
>>

>> 4.0 seems to be working great!
>>
>> thanks in advance,
>> Cam S

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: syntax highlighting - how?

Yes would be cool!

Stef
On Apr 21, 2009, at 5:21 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> What about a collection of scripts that build images?
>
> - Damien could put his script for the popular dev images.
> - I could put mine there with the fancy tweaks to get a strange UI.
> - ... and I am sure that there are more around.
>
> etc.
>
> Lukas
>
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 21, 2009, at 4:43 PM, Cameron Sanders wrote:
>>

>>> Sorry to ask such a basic question, but how do I enable syntax
>>> highlighting in Pharo? I updated to the 4.0-closure vm (on a Mac)
>>> two
>>> weeks ago. Shout is not in the package list in Monticello, so do I
>>> need to add some repository? I have searched the preferences on
>>> words
>>> like color, syntax, highlight, and variations, and I struck out.
>>>
>>> And when I have a question like this, what is the best place to look
>>> for the answer? Many squeak specific notes (historical postings) do
>>> not seem to always apply to Pharo.
>>
>> Ask here and edit the wiki if necessary to create accurate snippet
>> and
>> information
>>>

>>> 4.0 seems to be working great!
>>>
>>> thanks in advance,
>>> Cam S

> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: syntax highlighting - how?

Lukas Renggli
Sorry, I wasn't clear.

I started a Wiki page with my script
<http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/ImageBuildScripts>. Maybe other
people can add their scripts to the same page, so that we can exchange
some ideas ;-)

Lukas

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 5:31 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes would be cool!
>
> Stef
> On Apr 21, 2009, at 5:21 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
>> What about a collection of scripts that build images?
>>
>> - Damien could put his script for the popular dev images.
>> - I could put mine there with the fancy tweaks to get a strange UI.
>> - ... and I am sure that there are more around.
>>
>> etc.
>>
>> Lukas
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Ask here and edit the wiki if necessary to create accurate snippet
>>> and
>>> information

>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: syntax highlighting - how?

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 2:45 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry, I wasn't clear.

I started a Wiki page with my script
<http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/ImageBuildScripts>. Maybe other
people can add their scripts to the same page, so that we can exchange
some ideas ;-)

That script you put there, where you apply it ? To a pharo core image ?

It could be useful, perhaps, to "merge" damien dev script and yours. But this is something that each programmer can play with.

Cheers,

Mariano

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes would be cool!
>
> Stef
> On Apr 21, 2009, at 5:21 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
>> What about a collection of scripts that build images?
>>
>> - Damien could put his script for the popular dev images.
>> - I could put mine there with the fancy tweaks to get a strange UI.
>> - ... and I am sure that there are more around.
>>
>> etc.
>>
>> Lukas
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Ask here and edit the wiki if necessary to create accurate snippet
>>> and
>>> information

>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: syntax highlighting - how?

Lukas Renggli
> That script you put there, where you apply it ? To a pharo core image ?

Yeah, that works with recent Pharo core images.

> It could be useful, perhaps, to "merge" damien dev script and yours. But
> this is something that each programmer can play with.

Yeah, actually I had a glance at the scripts of Damien to get some
ideas for mine. However I use some custom packages, for example for
the syntax highlighting I use different colors. That something
everybody has to decide individually what exactly (s)he wants to use.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: syntax highlighting - how?

Cameron Sanders-3
So I got a dev image and the syntax highlighting, and nice code
authoring tools seem to be present, however, cut and paste do not seem
to work on the Mac now.

Any guidance?
Thanks in advance,
Cam S

Re: syntax highlighting - how?

Henrik Sperre Johansen
Earlier you could rightclick a method in Class Browser, and select
colorPrint from the "What to show", even in Core.
Seems to have broken sometime in the last month though, now it just does
the same as prettyPrint.

Cheers,
Henry

Cameron Sanders wrote:

>> On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 1:43 PM, Cameron Sanders
>>

>>     Sorry to ask such a basic question, but how do I enable syntax
>>     highlighting in Pharo? I updated to the 4.0-closure vm (on a Mac) two
>>     weeks ago. Shout is not in...
>>

>> What image are you using ? If you use core, you won't have all this.
>> You must use dev image for those things.
>
> Oh, I thought I grabbed the dev... but it looks like I started with
> Core -- thank you.
>
>> I think this is a good place. But perhaps another tell us a better
>> place :)
>
> This is a great place! Thanks Mariano.
>
> -Cam

Re: syntax highlighting - how?

Mariano Martinez Peck
What I really wanted to know, and I still don't know is:

- which are the available extensions and useful tools for development. Is there a up to date list ?
- what do each of those things do? For example, what is  RoelTyper ? RFB?

Perhaps we can put a list of "IDE" or "dev" tools that we know that works on Pharo and a little description of what they are for.

Cheers,

Mariano

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes would be cool!
>
> Stef
> On Apr 21, 2009, at 5:21 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
>> What about a collection of scripts that build images?
>>
>> - Damien could put his script for the popular dev images.
>> - I could put mine there with the fancy tweaks to get a strange UI.
>> - ... and I am sure that there are more around.
>>
>> etc.
>>
>> Lukas
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Ask here and edit the wiki if necessary to create accurate snippet
>>> and
>>> information

>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: syntax highlighting - how?

Stéphane Ducasse

On Apr 21, 2009, at 9:20 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> What I really wanted to know, and I still don't know is:
>
> - which are the available extensions and useful tools for
> development. Is there a up to date list ?
> - what do each of those things do? For example, what is  RoelTyper ?

infer the types of your variables iv and methods arg

Refactoring Browser.