task

otto
Hi,

We would like to embed a (subclass of) WATask into a site
(online.orbisfunds.com.au, running on GLASS) and we are battling to
get this task to work.

The functionality (task) we're working on will go under "invest now".
As you can see, there are quite a number of menu items. The online
investing functionality should appear under the main menu bar and
above the footer. We used announcements quite a bit to be able to call
different menu items from different links on the site (if you like,
click around and you'll get the idea). The main component is a
WANavigation that catches a "ChangeContent" event and then renders the
component received on the content section (keeping the banner, menu
and footer in tact).

We can't render a task directly, so the question is really how do we do this?

Thanks
Otto

Re: task

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
try a component?

I don't see a task is justified there

o/

On Apr 19, 2011, at 10:15 AM, Otto Behrens wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We would like to embed a (subclass of) WATask into a site
> (online.orbisfunds.com.au, running on GLASS) and we are battling to
> get this task to work.
>
> The functionality (task) we're working on will go under "invest now".
> As you can see, there are quite a number of menu items. The online
> investing functionality should appear under the main menu bar and
> above the footer. We used announcements quite a bit to be able to call
> different menu items from different links on the site (if you like,
> click around and you'll get the idea). The main component is a
> WANavigation that catches a "ChangeContent" event and then renders the
> component received on the content section (keeping the banner, menu
> and footer in tact).
>
> We can't render a task directly, so the question is really how do we do this?
>
> Thanks
> Otto

Re: task

Julian Fitzell-2
On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Otto Behrens <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We can't render a task directly, so...

What do you mean by this?

Julian

Re: task

otto
>> We can't render a task directly, so...
>
> What do you mean by this?

If we call render: theTask, then the renderContentOn: method complains
that the task has no delegation. I understood that the idea is not to
render tasks directly. But I could not find a way to embed the task
(as a component) in the contents of the site without rendering it.
Should I give more details?

Thanks
Otto

Re: task

Dale Henrichs
Hey Otto,

Do you think there is a chance that this a GemStone-specific problem or
does it show up in Squeak/Pharo as well?

Dale

On 04/19/2011 06:15 AM, Otto Behrens wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We would like to embed a (subclass of) WATask into a site
> (online.orbisfunds.com.au, running on GLASS) and we are battling to
> get this task to work.
>
> The functionality (task) we're working on will go under "invest now".
> As you can see, there are quite a number of menu items. The online
> investing functionality should appear under the main menu bar and
> above the footer. We used announcements quite a bit to be able to call
> different menu items from different links on the site (if you like,
> click around and you'll get the idea). The main component is a
> WANavigation that catches a "ChangeContent" event and then renders the
> component received on the content section (keeping the banner, menu
> and footer in tact).
>
> We can't render a task directly, so the question is really how do we do this?
>
> Thanks
> Otto

Re: task

Julian Fitzell-2
On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 4:26 PM, Otto Behrens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> We can't render a task directly, so...
>>
>> What do you mean by this?
>
> If we call render: theTask, then the renderContentOn: method complains
> that the task has no delegation. I understood that the idea is not to
> render tasks directly. But I could not find a way to embed the task
> (as a component) in the contents of the site without rendering it.
> Should I give more details?

Are you returning the task in the parent component's #children method?

Julian

Re: task

otto
> Are you returning the task in the parent component's #children method?

Yes, I did that

Re: task

zekUs

Maybe you need to send WATask»do message explicitly at somewhere.

On Apr 19, 2011 6:41 PM, "Otto Behrens" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Are you returning the task in the parent component's #children method?
>
> Yes, I did that

Re: task

Nick
Hi Otto,

If we call render: theTask, then the renderContentOn: method complains
that the task has no delegation. I understood that the idea is not to
render tasks directly. But I could not find a way to embed the task
(as a component) in the contents of the site without rendering it.
Should I give more details?

Does the component creation on the welcome application work for you?
see WAWelcomeComponentCreator

Nick

Re: task

Julian Fitzell-2
On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Otto Behrens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Are you returning the task in the parent component's #children method?
>
> Yes, I did that

Hm... are you lazily initializing it during the rendering method, perhaps?

If not, what *should* be happening is that at the end of the callbacks
your task should be returned from #children and will then get started.
That should result in the task getting started, which should cause
some component to be called. The "no delegation" error is indicating
that the task has *not* called a component. This could happen if your
task doesn't actually call anything, or if the task doesn't exist when
the callbacks are finished, or if there's a bug somewhere in Seaside.

Note that the behaviour of embedded tasks can be a little surprising
to some people: if you embed several tasks on a page, they will *all*
execute to the point of their first #call: before the page is
rendered. They need to do so in order to know what to display during
the render phase, since the task itself does not specify any way of
displaying itself.

Julian