the elevator pitch for seaside

Randal L. Schwartz

>From http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/library/post/the-elevator-pitch-for-seaside.html

   But I think I've come up with a good elevator pitch for "why Seaside and
   not [insert other framework here]", that centers on three key items:
   abstracted control flows, live debugging, and persistence without ORMs.

If you have any input, leave it on the blog, or followup here.  I'm presenting
my talk in seven hours, and am trying to do some last minute refinement.

Re: the elevator pitch for seaside

Lukas Renggli
I try to avoid mentioning continuations at all (with the exception of
a scientific talk).

Continuations don't add any value to a presentation, make you look
geeky and at best scare people off. Even developers don't need to know
about that internal implementation detail. Only show how easy it is to
define flow.

The same for persistency. This is something commercial vendors worry about.

Lukas

On 5/3/08, Randal L. Schwartz <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  >From http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/library/post/the-elevator-pitch-for-seaside.html
>
>    But I think I've come up with a good elevator pitch for "why Seaside and
>    not [insert other framework here]", that centers on three key items:
>    abstracted control flows, live debugging, and persistence without ORMs.
>
>  If you have any input, leave it on the blog, or followup here.  I'm presenting
>  my talk in seven hours, and am trying to do some last minute refinement.
>
>  --

>  <[hidden email]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
>  Perl/Unix/security consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
>  See PerlTraining.Stonehenge.com for onsite and open-enrollment Perl training!

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: the elevator pitch for seaside

Sophie424
"Lukas Renggli" <[hidden email]> wrote in message

> Only show how easy it is to define flow.

+1

Discuss what you want a flow to do, write the code as you do so, then run
it. Continuations are the magic under the covers.

Sophie

Re: the elevator pitch for seaside

Avi Bryant-2
Agreed.  In fact, these days I rarely even mention flow.  Instead, I would say a key elevator pitch is "callbacks, not field names".

Avi

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 8:53 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
I try to avoid mentioning continuations at all (with the exception of
a scientific talk).

Continuations don't add any value to a presentation, make you look
geeky and at best scare people off. Even developers don't need to know
about that internal implementation detail. Only show how easy it is to
define flow.

The same for persistency. This is something commercial vendors worry about.

Lukas

On 5/3/08, Randal L. Schwartz <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  >From http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/library/post/the-elevator-pitch-for-seaside.html
>
>    But I think I've come up with a good elevator pitch for "why Seaside and
>    not [insert other framework here]", that centers on three key items:
>    abstracted control flows, live debugging, and persistence without ORMs.
>
>  If you have any input, leave it on the blog, or followup here.  I'm presenting
>  my talk in seven hours, and am trying to do some last minute refinement.
>
>  --

>  <[hidden email]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
>  Perl/Unix/security consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
>  See PerlTraining.Stonehenge.com for onsite and open-enrollment Perl training!

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: the elevator pitch for seaside

Victor-67
Suppose I am the vice-president and ask you: "So?"

Then, what's next?

Victor

=====================================
Agreed.  In fact, these days I rarely even mention flow.  Instead, I would say a key elevator pitch is "callbacks, not field names".

Avi

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 8:53 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
I try to avoid mentioning continuations at all (with the exception of
a scientific talk).

Continuations don't add any value to a presentation, make you look
geeky and at best scare people off. Even developers don't need to know
about that internal implementation detail. Only show how easy it is to
define flow.

The same for persistency. This is something commercial vendors worry about.

Lukas

On 5/3/08, Randal L. Schwartz <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  >From http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/library/post/the-elevator-pitch-for-seaside.html
>
>    But I think I've come up with a good elevator pitch for "why Seaside and
>    not [insert other framework here]", that centers on three key items:
>    abstracted control flows, live debugging, and persistence without ORMs.
>
>  If you have any input, leave it on the blog, or followup here.  I'm presenting
>  my talk in seven hours, and am trying to do some last minute refinement.
>
>  --

>  <[hidden email]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
>  Perl/Unix/security consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
>  See PerlTraining.Stonehenge.com for onsite and open-enrollment Perl training!

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: the elevator pitch for seaside

stephane ducasse
Avi

what are the other frameworks doing for representing the flow of
application?
In the past it was quite ugly even on the research side.
I always thought that having plain smalltalk to glue together my
components was cool.

Stef

On May 4, 2008, at 4:22 AM, Avi Bryant wrote:

> Agreed.  In fact, these days I rarely even mention flow.  Instead, I
> would say a key elevator pitch is "callbacks, not field names".
>
> Avi
>
> On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 8:53 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> I try to avoid mentioning continuations at all (with the exception of
> a scientific talk).
>
> Continuations don't add any value to a presentation, make you look
> geeky and at best scare people off. Even developers don't need to know
> about that internal implementation detail. Only show how easy it is to
> define flow.
>
> The same for persistency. This is something commercial vendors worry
> about.
>
> Lukas
>
> On 5/3/08, Randal L. Schwartz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >  >From http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/library/post/the-elevator-pitch-for-seaside.html
> >
> >    But I think I've come up with a good elevator pitch for "why
> Seaside and
> >    not [insert other framework here]", that centers on three key
> items:
> >    abstracted control flows, live debugging, and persistence
> without ORMs.
> >
> >  If you have any input, leave it on the blog, or followup here.
> I'm presenting
> >  my talk in seven hours, and am trying to do some last minute
> refinement.
> >
> >  --
> >
> > Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503
> 777 0095
> >  <[hidden email]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
> >  Perl/Unix/security consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
> >  See PerlTraining.Stonehenge.com for onsite and open-enrollment
> Perl training!

> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

To James foster

Victor-67
The messages I am sending to your private addresses are being rejected.

Victor

> "Lukas Renggli" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
>
>> Only show how easy it is to define flow.
>
> +1
>
> Discuss what you want a flow to do, write the code as you do so, then run
> it. Continuations are the magic under the covers.
>
> Sophie

Re: the elevator pitch for seaside

tblanchard
For me - the killer feature is "live hot debugging".  That whole - try it again in the debugger button is far and away the coolest thing.

I'm missing that quite a lot as I'm stuck in Rails Hell for the next couple months.