classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

the fastest way to load external code

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

I am looking for ways to make loading of code from an st file faster. To this end, I would like to find in-image mechanisms that are not mandatory for obtaining a functional image.

For example, one place I look at is SystemAnnouncer uniqueInstance, and I know that I should have no Nautilus open and that I can disable Renraku and GTExample:

ReRuleManager uniqueInstance unsubscribe.
GTExampleOrganizer instance stopSystemAnnouncements.

What else do you see around?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Don't give to get. Just give."

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: the fastest way to load external code

Peter Uhnak
For example, one place I look at is SystemAnnouncer uniqueInstance, and I know that I should have no Nautilus open and that I can disable Renraku and GTExample:

You can just do this and not worry about subscribers

SystemAnnouncer uniqueInstance suspendAllWhile:

(I was trying to speed up code generation so I did some benchmarks last year http://forum.world.st/fast-subclassing-class-creation-in-tests-tp4857779p4858005.html )

Also couple weeks back I found out that adding instance variable to a class is extremely slow and it's best to add them during the initial setup, but maybe that isn't a problem here.

Peter

On Sat, May 21, 2016 at 9:50 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I am looking for ways to make loading of code from an st file faster. To this end, I would like to find in-image mechanisms that are not mandatory for obtaining a functional image.

ReRuleManager uniqueInstance unsubscribe.
GTExampleOrganizer instance stopSystemAnnouncements.

What else do you see around?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Don't give to get. Just give."

Reply | Threaded
|

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

> On May 21, 2016, at 10:47 PM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > For example, one place I look at is SystemAnnouncer uniqueInstance, and I know that I should have no Nautilus open and that I can disable Renraku and GTExample:
>
> You can just do this and not worry about subscribers
>
> SystemAnnouncer uniqueInstance suspendAllWhile:

Indeed. The problem with this is that RPackage will get out of sync.

> (I was trying to speed up code generation so I did some benchmarks last year http://forum.world.st/fast-subclassing-class-creation-in-tests-tp4857779p4858005.html )

Thanks for the pointer.

> Also couple weeks back I found out that adding instance variable to a class is extremely slow and it's best to add them during the initial setup, but maybe that isn't a problem here.

Indeed, I noticed that, too.

Cheers,
Doru

> Peter
>
>
> On Sat, May 21, 2016 at 9:50 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for ways to make loading of code from an st file faster. To this end, I would like to find in-image mechanisms that are not mandatory for obtaining a functional image.
>
> For example, one place I look at is SystemAnnouncer uniqueInstance, and I know that I should have no Nautilus open and that I can disable Renraku and GTExample:
>
> ReRuleManager uniqueInstance unsubscribe.
> GTExampleOrganizer instance stopSystemAnnouncements.
>
> What else do you see around?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "Don't give to get. Just give."
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"It's not what we do that matters most, it's how we do it."

Reply | Threaded
|

Eliot Miranda-2
In reply to this post by Tudor Girba-2
Hi Doru,

> On May 21, 2016, at 12:50 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for ways to make loading of code from an st file faster. To this end, I would like to find in-image mechanisms that are not mandatory for obtaining a functional image.
>
> For example, one place I look at is SystemAnnouncer uniqueInstance, and I know that I should have no Nautilus open and that I can disable Renraku and GTExample:
>
> ReRuleManager uniqueInstance unsubscribe.
> GTExampleOrganizer instance stopSystemAnnouncements.
>
> What else do you see around?

Strikes me that parsing, not compiling and either holding onto the source String or simply keeping a pointer into the source file makes sense.  Compilation to methods can wait until installation.  With that approach you need no notifications at all.  HTH

_,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)

>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "Don't give to get. Just give."
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Max Leske
Another thing you can do (but be careful) is to close the changes file. Sources (and change operations) will then not be written to disk which saves a lot of I/O operations. I use this for some special imports. I’m not sure however, how well that will work in Pharo 5 (I’ve been doing this in Pharo 1.3).

Cheers,
Max

> On 21 May 2016, at 23:51, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Doru,
>
>> On May 21, 2016, at 12:50 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am looking for ways to make loading of code from an st file faster. To this end, I would like to find in-image mechanisms that are not mandatory for obtaining a functional image.
>>
>> For example, one place I look at is SystemAnnouncer uniqueInstance, and I know that I should have no Nautilus open and that I can disable Renraku and GTExample:
>>
>> ReRuleManager uniqueInstance unsubscribe.
>> GTExampleOrganizer instance stopSystemAnnouncements.
>>
>> What else do you see around?
>
> Strikes me that parsing, not compiling and either holding onto the source String or simply keeping a pointer into the source file makes sense.  Compilation to methods can wait until installation.  With that approach you need no notifications at all.  HTH
>
>
> _,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)
>
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>> www.feenk.com
>>
>> "Don't give to get. Just give."
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Interesting. How do I do that?

Doru

> On May 22, 2016, at 9:49 AM, Max Leske <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Another thing you can do (but be careful) is to close the changes file. Sources (and change operations) will then not be written to disk which saves a lot of I/O operations. I use this for some special imports. I’m not sure however, how well that will work in Pharo 5 (I’ve been doing this in Pharo 1.3).
>
> Cheers,
> Max
>
>> On 21 May 2016, at 23:51, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Doru,
>>
>>> On May 21, 2016, at 12:50 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am looking for ways to make loading of code from an st file faster. To this end, I would like to find in-image mechanisms that are not mandatory for obtaining a functional image.
>>>
>>> For example, one place I look at is SystemAnnouncer uniqueInstance, and I know that I should have no Nautilus open and that I can disable Renraku and GTExample:
>>>
>>> ReRuleManager uniqueInstance unsubscribe.
>>> GTExampleOrganizer instance stopSystemAnnouncements.
>>>
>>> What else do you see around?
>>
>> Strikes me that parsing, not compiling and either holding onto the source String or simply keeping a pointer into the source file makes sense.  Compilation to methods can wait until installation.  With that approach you need no notifications at all.  HTH
>>
>>
>> _,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)
>>
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>> www.feenk.com
>>>
>>> "Don't give to get. Just give."
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>
>

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

Reply | Threaded
|

Max Leske

> On 22 May 2016, at 10:43, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Interesting. How do I do that?

[
                Smalltalk closeSourceFiles.
                "do your thing"
        ] ensure: [ Smalltalk openSourceFiles ]

Seems to work in Pharo 5 too, as far as I can tell.

>
> Doru
>
>> On May 22, 2016, at 9:49 AM, Max Leske <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Another thing you can do (but be careful) is to close the changes file. Sources (and change operations) will then not be written to disk which saves a lot of I/O operations. I use this for some special imports. I’m not sure however, how well that will work in Pharo 5 (I’ve been doing this in Pharo 1.3).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Max
>>
>>> On 21 May 2016, at 23:51, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Doru,
>>>
>>>> On May 21, 2016, at 12:50 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> I am looking for ways to make loading of code from an st file faster. To this end, I would like to find in-image mechanisms that are not mandatory for obtaining a functional image.
>>>>
>>>> For example, one place I look at is SystemAnnouncer uniqueInstance, and I know that I should have no Nautilus open and that I can disable Renraku and GTExample:
>>>>
>>>> ReRuleManager uniqueInstance unsubscribe.
>>>> GTExampleOrganizer instance stopSystemAnnouncements.
>>>>
>>>> What else do you see around?
>>>
>>> Strikes me that parsing, not compiling and either holding onto the source String or simply keeping a pointer into the source file makes sense.  Compilation to methods can wait until installation.  With that approach you need no notifications at all.  HTH
>>>
>>>
>>> _,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)
>>>
>>>>
>>>> Cheers,
>>>> Doru
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>> www.feenk.com