the glamorous toolkit project

Tudor Girba
Hi,

I would like to promote the idea of projects in Pharo. The concept is simple: we should build new infrastructures that go beyond small fixes and that require the concerted work of multiple people over a longer period of time.

A project has a clear goal, and is led by someone. That someone is not necessarily the one that writes all the code (like we might tend to do it), but simply one that ensures that the project advances, that the different contributions are integrated, and that things are not left at 90%.

I would like to announce the Glamorous Tool project. The goal of this project is to provide a new set of tools for developing with Pharo. It is to be developed on top of Glamour, and it should address at least the followings:
- Coder (ex-System Browser)
- Debugger
- Inspector
- Playground (ex-Workspace - it's not called Workspace anymore because I would like to encourage people not to "work" there)
- Chaser (senders, implementors and references)

The project spans several topics. For example:
- Glamour support
- Morphic enhancements:
--- Proper TextMorph with keybindings and context sensitiveness
--- Collapsable Panes
--- Scalable tabs
--- Parallel rendering
- Suitable models
--- RPackage
--- Code introspection
--- Debugger model
- Testing
--- Because these tools are so critical, they should be robust
--- OB is a good example for the testing part
- Usability
--- Principle: Spawning a window might be easy, but it is not effective
--- Principle: Uniformity
--- Principle: Less concepts are better than many
- Graphic design of skins and icons
- Weak announcements
- Performance

I will lead it, and you are welcome to participate. The today sprint is a good occasion to take a look. The current code can be found at:

Gofer new
        squeaksource: 'glamoroust';
        package: 'ConfigurationOfGlamoroust';
        load.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfGlamoroust) perform: #loadDefault.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Sometimes the best solution is not the best solution."

Re: the glamorous toolkit project

Mariano Martinez Peck
Tudor, thanks a lot for such a big beast :)
I saw some of the tools the other day with you and they were really cool.
What do you think about cut a bit some functionalities and propose it as GSoC ?

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 8:25 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

simondenier

On 12 mars 2011, at 08:25, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to promote the idea of projects in Pharo. The concept is simple: we should build new infrastructures that go beyond small fixes and that require the concerted work of multiple people over a longer period of time.
>
> A project has a clear goal, and is led by someone. That someone is not necessarily the one that writes all the code (like we might tend to do it), but simply one that ensures that the project advances, that the different contributions are integrated, and that things are not left at 90%.
>
> I would like to announce the Glamorous Tool project. The goal of this project is to provide a new set of tools for developing with Pharo. It is to be developed on top of Glamour, and it should address at least the followings:
> - Coder (ex-System Browser)
> - Debugger
> - Inspector
> - Playground (ex-Workspace - it's not called Workspace anymore because I would like to encourage people not to "work" there)
> - Chaser (senders, implementors and references)

That's cool: I always wanted to design a new API for browsing code (discussed at IWST 2009 in Brest). I even have a name for it: Sinbad, the fearless navigator :)

> The project spans several topics. For example:
> - Glamour support
> - Morphic enhancements:
> --- Proper TextMorph with keybindings and context sensitiveness
> --- Collapsable Panes
> --- Scalable tabs
> --- Parallel rendering
> - Suitable models
> --- RPackage
> --- Code introspection
> --- Debugger model
> - Testing
> --- Because these tools are so critical, they should be robust
> --- OB is a good example for the testing part
> - Usability
> --- Principle: Spawning a window might be easy, but it is not effective
> --- Principle: Uniformity
> --- Principle: Less concepts are better than many
> - Graphic design of skins and icons
> - Weak announcements
> - Performance
>

> I will lead it, and you are welcome to participate. The today sprint is a good occasion to take a look. The current code can be found at:
>
> Gofer new
> squeaksource: 'glamoroust';
> package: 'ConfigurationOfGlamoroust';
> load.
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfGlamoroust) perform: #loadDefault.
>

> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Sometimes the best solution is not the best solution."

Simon Denier

Re: the glamorous toolkit project

jfabry

Sounds like an excellent idea. I hope I'll be able to contribute at some point.

On 12 Mar 2011, at 04:25, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to promote the idea of projects in Pharo. The concept is simple: we should build new infrastructures that go beyond small fixes and that require the concerted work of multiple people over a longer period of time.
>
> A project has a clear goal, and is led by someone. That someone is not necessarily the one that writes all the code (like we might tend to do it), but simply one that ensures that the project advances, that the different contributions are integrated, and that things are not left at 90%.
>
> I would like to announce the Glamorous Tool project. The goal of this project is to provide a new set of tools for developing with Pharo. It is to be developed on top of Glamour, and it should address at least the followings:
> - Coder (ex-System Browser)
> - Debugger
> - Inspector
> - Playground (ex-Workspace - it's not called Workspace anymore because I would like to encourage people not to "work" there)
> - Chaser (senders, implementors and references)
>
> The project spans several topics. For example:
> - Glamour support
> - Morphic enhancements:
> --- Proper TextMorph with keybindings and context sensitiveness
> --- Collapsable Panes
> --- Scalable tabs
> --- Parallel rendering
> - Suitable models
> --- RPackage
> --- Code introspection
> --- Debugger model
> - Testing
> --- Because these tools are so critical, they should be robust
> --- OB is a good example for the testing part
> - Usability
> --- Principle: Spawning a window might be easy, but it is not effective
> --- Principle: Uniformity
> --- Principle: Less concepts are better than many
> - Graphic design of skins and icons
> - Weak announcements
> - Performance
>

> I will lead it, and you are welcome to participate. The today sprint is a good occasion to take a look. The current code can be found at:
>
> Gofer new
> squeaksource: 'glamoroust';
> package: 'ConfigurationOfGlamoroust';
> load.
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfGlamoroust) perform: #loadDefault.
>

> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Sometimes the best solution is not the best solution."

Johan Fabry
[hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile