the importance of your story

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

I gave last week a talk at NDC Oslo on "Don't demo facts. Demo stories!". While the talk is less technical, I did exemplified the message by demoing Spotter in comparison with the search support from Eclipse.

There are several things I would like to emphasize.

I compared our solution with an "industry standard" one. We often think our system as being niche and perhaps not mature enough. We need to change that perception about our work. We build state of the art.

One thing that I did not mention explicitly in the talk is the size of the implementation. The Spotter implementation is 3500 lines of code -- and that it is so large because it currently comes with its own widgets. Furthermore, the extensions average 8 lines per custom processor (including the method header and the pragma). This is orders of magnitude smaller than what is typically out there, and it is precisely the reason why we can compete even if we are fewer.

But, to get out there and compete we have to set that high goal for ourselves. For example, with GT we do not want to compete. We want to outcompete. So can you.

While details are important, high goals require us to get away from those details. Only polishing details will tend to limit you to incremental improvements. We need to jump from time to time. But, these jumps are hard. On the one hand, it is hard to find the right jump and convince people to jump with you. On the other hand, they are hard to predict. For example, Spotter would have not been predictable one year ago.

Yet, dry goals are not enough to keep us going. We need stories that make us dream. And the beauty is that Pharo breaths such a story. We should not limit ourselves to that story only. For example, with GT we want to reinvent the developer experience by making the developer be able to mold visual tools to her context because that is the only effective way to build sustainable systems. This little point of view will turn the IDE upside down, and this is only possible in a system like Pharo.

Choose your high goal and tell its story through the system that you build. And remember that Pharo already offers a beautiful story to start from.

Cheers,
Doru

--

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: [Pharo-users] the importance of your story

abergel
Thanks Doru for your inspiring words.

Recently I had a “coup de blues” because Pharo is completely absent from the StackOverflow and Github scene. I feel it is like a researcher without a webpage. Without a webpage, he does not exist.

But I have faith things will soon change...

Cheers,
Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

On Jun 25, 2015, at 8:39 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

SergeStinckwich
On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 3:56 PM, Alexandre Bergel
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks Doru for your inspiring words.
>
> Recently I had a “coup de blues” because Pharo is completely absent from the
> StackOverflow and Github scene. I feel it is like a researcher without a
> webpage. Without a webpage, he does not exist.

I also have this "coup de blues" from time to time for similar reason
and because I have to fight sometimes to defend this choice.

Thank you Doru for giving us inspiration for the future.

I will come to ESUG this year. This is usually a good place to have a
boost for several months after.

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)

Re: [Pharo-users] the importance of your story

stepharo
And we will have many cool announcements....
Stay tuned :)

You know getting flooded in mainstream techno is not really a way to
avoid to have blues :)

Stef

Le 25/6/15 16:34, Serge Stinckwich a écrit :

> On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 3:56 PM, Alexandre Bergel
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks Doru for your inspiring words.
>>
>> Recently I had a “coup de blues” because Pharo is completely absent from the
>> StackOverflow and Github scene. I feel it is like a researcher without a
>> webpage. Without a webpage, he does not exist.
> I also have this "coup de blues" from time to time for similar reason
> and because I have to fight sometimes to defend this choice.
>
> Thank you Doru for giving us inspiration for the future.
>
> I will come to ESUG this year. This is usually a good place to have a
> boost for several months after.

Re: [Pharo-users] the importance of your story

philippeback

Current problem is that data is locked away in data stores that are not supported and require significant effort for integration.

e.g.

ElasticSearch
MongoDb replicasets
Hdfs
Hbase
Accumulo

Python and Py4J are having an edge despite the sucky debugger.
+Numpy, Pandas, ...

We need more ways to integrate with Java 32 and *64* bits to use the packages.

We just can't reinvent all libraries.

Phil

Le 25 juin 2015 21:45, "stepharo" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> And we will have many cool announcements....
> Stay tuned :)
>
> You know getting flooded in mainstream techno is not really a way to avoid to have blues :)
>
> Stef
>
> Le 25/6/15 16:34, Serge Stinckwich a écrit :
>
>> On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 3:56 PM, Alexandre Bergel
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks Doru for your inspiring words.
>>>
>>> Recently I had a “coup de blues” because Pharo is completely absent from the
>>> StackOverflow and Github scene. I feel it is like a researcher without a
>>> webpage. Without a webpage, he does not exist.
>>
>> I also have this "coup de blues" from time to time for similar reason
>> and because I have to fight sometimes to defend this choice.
>>
>> Thank you Doru for giving us inspiration for the future.
>>
>> I will come to ESUG this year. This is usually a good place to have a
>> boost for several months after.

Re: [Pharo-users] the importance of your story

Offray
Or maybe the alternative is talking better with python, like Kilion is trying. I'm pretty amazed with pandas, but my experience with IPython notebook has show that Pharo is more maleable. So the thing is more about how to talk better with the external world, specially with the data out there.

Cheers,

Offray