thinking about a community model of funding

thinking about a community model of funding

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

I would like to see a model like that around the pharo virtual machine emerging
        http://phk.freebsd.dk/VML/

stef

Re: thinking about a community model of funding

garduino
2011/2/4 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
> Hi guys
>
> I would like to see a model like that around the pharo virtual machine emerging
>        http://phk.freebsd.dk/VML/
>
> stef

I was hung reading this page and look interesting (not only to Pharo)
else a lot of other open projects we do with Pharo.

Personally I never tried this type of collection of money, but my
suspicion is that to work you need a critical mass of users, including
businesses

Germán.

Re: thinking about a community model of funding

Igor Stasenko
On 4 February 2011 12:48, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2011/2/4 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi guys
>>
>> I would like to see a model like that around the pharo virtual machine emerging
>>        http://phk.freebsd.dk/VML/
>>
>> stef
>>

> I was hung reading this page and look interesting (not only to Pharo)
> else a lot of other open projects we do with Pharo.
>
> Personally I never tried this type of collection of money, but my
> suspicion is that to work you need a critical mass of users, including
> businesses

This is two-way road. And this is what Stephane trying to do from his
side: enabling people to support Pharo in other ways than just
coding/bugfixing :).

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: thinking about a community model of funding

>> Hi guys
>>
>> I would like to see a model like that around the pharo virtual machine emerging
>>        http://phk.freebsd.dk/VML/
>>
>> stef
>>

> I was hung reading this page and look interesting (not only to Pharo)
> else a lot of other open projects we do with Pharo.
>
> Personally I never tried this type of collection of money, but my
> suspicion is that to work you need a critical mass of users, including
> businesses

Yes let us create it.
I imagine that people would love to have a vm that is actively developed and not only by two guys
that can have truck factor effect. No?

I think that I would like to be able to say to people:
        invest on us because we are building a system that will survive us.

Surviving us:
        - clean robust documented.....
        - easy to build....

and to my ears this looks like properties I like

Re: thinking about a community model of funding

Geert Claes
Administrator
Maybe we should follow the banner approach like wikipedia and wikileaks :)

On 4 February 2011 13:43, Geert Claes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Maybe we should follow the banner approach like wikipedia and wikileaks :)
>
> http://forum.world.st/file/n3260101/PharoBoardAppeal.png

haha.. who is that gray alien between two humans? :)

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: thinking about a community model of funding

Adrian Lienhard
*g*

I was always annoyed by this Wikipedia banner as it just used up almost half of my browser window.

And I don't think I need to be on such a banner either.

Cheers,
Adrian

On Feb 4, 2011, at 13:46 , Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 4 February 2011 13:43, Geert Claes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Maybe we should follow the banner approach like wikipedia and wikileaks :)
>>
>> http://forum.world.st/file/n3260101/PharoBoardAppeal.png
>
> haha.. who is that gray alien between two humans? :)
>

>> --

> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: thinking about a community model of funding

EstebanLM
+1

El 04/02/2011, a las 4:13a.m., Stéphane Ducasse escribió:

> Hi guys
>
> I would like to see a model like that around the pharo virtual machine emerging
> http://phk.freebsd.dk/VML/
>
> stef

Re: thinking about a community model of funding

Geert Claes
Administrator
A bit of a laugh, it's Friday after all :)

On 4 February 2011 14:13, Geert Claes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A bit of a laugh, it's Friday after all :)

There's better photos
http://www.google.com/images?q=stephane+ducasse&biw=2560&bih=1248

like this one:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0Yjzjbrwnaq8Y0fyu1rY8VCqEEhhRZEl9hyn9L1UlN5hqzqgxVg

> http://forum.world.st/file/n3260143/PharoBoardAppeal2.png

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: thinking about a community model of funding

garduino
hahaha, We need a little laughter too, is not necessary to work with a frown :)

2011/2/4 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>:

> On 4 February 2011 14:13, Geert Claes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> A bit of a laugh, it's Friday after all :)
>>

> There's better photos
> http://www.google.com/images?q=stephane+ducasse&biw=2560&bih=1248
>
> like this one:
>
> http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0Yjzjbrwnaq8Y0fyu1rY8VCqEEhhRZEl9hyn9L1UlN5hqzqgxVg
>
>> http://forum.world.st/file/n3260143/PharoBoardAppeal2.png
>>
>> --

> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: thinking about a community model of funding

Ok now I understand your remark about my strange picture :)

> Maybe we should follow the banner approach like wikipedia and wikileaks :)
>>
>> http://forum.world.st/file/n3260101/PharoBoardAppeal.png
>
> haha.. who is that gray alien between two humans? :)

Re: thinking about a community model of funding

excellent!
Ye friday is a good day.... carried 4 m3 of wood at 6 in the morning so I'm dead :)

On Feb 4, 2011, at 2:13 PM, Geert Claes wrote:

> A bit of a laugh, it's Friday after all :)
>
> http://forum.world.st/file/n3260143/PharoBoardAppeal2.png

Re: thinking about a community model of funding

Idiot...

you are just jalous :)
of course I should do some sport :)

On 4 February 2011 21:10, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Idiot...
>> http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0Yjzjbrwnaq8Y0fyu1rY8VCqEEhhRZEl9hyn9L1UlN5hqzqgxVg
>
> you are just jalous :)
> of course I should do some sport :)

no, i just tried to find a pic which fits better for appeal :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.