Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

thoughts of a tired but happy man...

Stéphane Ducasse
Since I work too much I'm tired and when I'm tired I have strange thoughts :)
Let us see what they are (if of any interest)

I do not really know if people realize that in fact we could be payed for building our own private little toy
and we could publish cool papers, looks smart and look at ourselves quite proudly in the mirror the morning.
The look of the guy that accomplished his duty and is quite cool too.
This would be a perfect life: a full life of a brillant researcher having fun with his little toys. Students
of course would have fun with us and we would be a happy family. Imagine we could even write
books, little books and everybody would be happy. flower, butterflies and the rest...

Now we decided to do pharo. Why: because we want other people to be able to make a living out of it.

I'm not sure that people deeply understand that. We do pharo (of course so that we can experiment crazy ideas
but we could have probably do that better in Scheme from my experience) because we want others to be empowered
and in the position of making money with it and changing/controlling their life because they are not forced to use
something that they do not like.

So this means that each time we spend time on it (we = the community) we make sure that others or the community
can feed their kids based on our labor. For me this is a cool task and I enjoyed doing it even if sometimes my moral
is low because I would like to go much much faster.

You could think that we should have better done to have fun
with our little toys and sometimes I think that yes this could be true. But we decided that it was more rewarding
to build real systems with customers that are not always happy, have bugs. So when you have strong expectations,
bold statements about Pharo think also that this is the simple work of people most of the time not payed to do it and that nicely
share it.

We know where we want to go, sometimes the system does not get the shape we want. but each little peebles after the other
one we shape it. Now you can also help to make it better.

Stef

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: thoughts of a tired but happy man...

Stéphane Ducasse
BTW something important I forgot to say is that doing pharo is fun too and it is fun because of the community.
And the energy we all produce and get.

On Sep 21, 2011, at 9:45 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Since I work too much I'm tired and when I'm tired I have strange thoughts :)
> Let us see what they are (if of any interest)
>
> I do not really know if people realize that in fact we could be payed for building our own private little toy
> and we could publish cool papers, looks smart and look at ourselves quite proudly in the mirror the morning.
> The look of the guy that accomplished his duty and is quite cool too.
> This would be a perfect life: a full life of a brillant researcher having fun with his little toys. Students
> of course would have fun with us and we would be a happy family. Imagine we could even write
> books, little books and everybody would be happy. flower, butterflies and the rest...
>
> Now we decided to do pharo. Why: because we want other people to be able to make a living out of it.
>
> I'm not sure that people deeply understand that. We do pharo (of course so that we can experiment crazy ideas
> but we could have probably do that better in Scheme from my experience) because we want others to be empowered
> and in the position of making money with it and changing/controlling their life because they are not forced to use
> something that they do not like.
>
> So this means that each time we spend time on it (we = the community) we make sure that others or the community
> can feed their kids based on our labor. For me this is a cool task and I enjoyed doing it even if sometimes my moral
> is low because I would like to go much much faster.
>
> You could think that we should have better done to have fun
> with our little toys and sometimes I think that yes this could be true. But we decided that it was more rewarding
> to build real systems with customers that are not always happy, have bugs. So when you have strong expectations,
> bold statements about Pharo think also that this is the simple work of people most of the time not payed to do it and that nicely
> share it.
>
> We know where we want to go, sometimes the system does not get the shape we want. but each little peebles after the other
> one we shape it. Now you can also help to make it better.
>
> Stef
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

laurent laffont

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 10:06 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
BTW something important I forgot to say is that doing pharo is fun too and it is fun because of the community.

Some students came see me yesterday and ask: "Why don't we do more Pharo ? We've discovered it at PharoConf and it looked cool and simple. Java is not fun ....".

I think Pharo change the image of Smalltalk.

Laurent.

>
> I do not really know if people realize that in fact we could be payed for building our own private little toy
> and we could publish cool papers, looks smart and look at ourselves quite proudly in the mirror the morning.
> This would be a perfect life: a full life of a brillant researcher having fun with his little toys. Students
> of course would have fun with us and we would be a happy family. Imagine we could even write
> books, little books and everybody would be happy. flower, butterflies and the rest...
>
> Now we decided to do pharo. Why: because we want other people to be able to make a living out of it.
>
> I'm not sure that people deeply understand that. We do pharo (of course so that we can experiment crazy ideas
> but we could have probably do that better in Scheme from my experience) because we want others to be empowered
> and in the position of making money with it and changing/controlling their life because they are not forced to use
>
> So this means that each time we spend time on it (we = the community) we make sure that others or the community
> can feed their kids based on our labor. For me this is a cool task and I enjoyed doing it even if sometimes my moral
>
> with our little toys and sometimes I think that yes this could be true. But we decided that it was more rewarding
> to build real systems with customers that are not always happy, have bugs. So when you have strong expectations,
> bold statements about Pharo think also that this is the simple work of people most of the time not payed to do it and that nicely
> share it.
>
> We know where we want to go, sometimes the system does not get the shape we want. but each little peebles after the other
>
> Stef
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks laurent. They are right :)
I hope that the new canvas, the mini kernel, and all the rest will do it even more :)

Stef (now to bed)

On Sep 21, 2011, at 10:21 PM, laurent laffont wrote:

>
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 10:06 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> BTW something important I forgot to say is that doing pharo is fun too and it is fun because of the community.
> And the energy we all produce and get.
>
>
>
> Some students came see me yesterday and ask: "Why don't we do more Pharo ? We've discovered it at PharoConf and it looked cool and simple. Java is not fun ....".
>
> I think Pharo change the image of Smalltalk.
>
> Laurent.
>
>
>  
>
>
> On Sep 21, 2011, at 9:45 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
> > Since I work too much I'm tired and when I'm tired I have strange thoughts :)
> > Let us see what they are (if of any interest)
> >
> > I do not really know if people realize that in fact we could be payed for building our own private little toy
> > and we could publish cool papers, looks smart and look at ourselves quite proudly in the mirror the morning.
> > The look of the guy that accomplished his duty and is quite cool too.
> > This would be a perfect life: a full life of a brillant researcher having fun with his little toys. Students
> > of course would have fun with us and we would be a happy family. Imagine we could even write
> > books, little books and everybody would be happy. flower, butterflies and the rest...
> >
> > Now we decided to do pharo. Why: because we want other people to be able to make a living out of it.
> >
> > I'm not sure that people deeply understand that. We do pharo (of course so that we can experiment crazy ideas
> > but we could have probably do that better in Scheme from my experience) because we want others to be empowered
> > and in the position of making money with it and changing/controlling their life because they are not forced to use
> > something that they do not like.
> >
> > So this means that each time we spend time on it (we = the community) we make sure that others or the community
> > can feed their kids based on our labor. For me this is a cool task and I enjoyed doing it even if sometimes my moral
> > is low because I would like to go much much faster.
> >
> > You could think that we should have better done to have fun
> > with our little toys and sometimes I think that yes this could be true. But we decided that it was more rewarding
> > to build real systems with customers that are not always happy, have bugs. So when you have strong expectations,
> > bold statements about Pharo think also that this is the simple work of people most of the time not payed to do it and that nicely
> > share it.
> >
> > We know where we want to go, sometimes the system does not get the shape we want. but each little peebles after the other
> > one we shape it. Now you can also help to make it better.
> >
> > Stef
> >
> >
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Laszlo Zsolt Kiss
In reply to this post by Stéphane Ducasse
Dear Stef.
The Hungarians have a saying: 
"We cry together and laugh together."
If you tired, think about my son Patrik (4 and half years old) , who every week "working" with Pharo.
Energy is important, therefore we are sending a big portion of the good energy on the occult roads.:)

Best regards:

László Zsolt

----- Original Message -----

To:
<[hidden email]>
Cc:

Sent:
Wed, 21 Sep 2011 22:06:33 +0200
Subject:
Re: [Pharo-project] thoughts of a tired but happy man...

>
>
>
>
>
> share it.
>
>
> Stef
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Michael J. Forster
Hi Stef,

From one of those who manages to eke out a living using Pharo, a very big "Thank You" to you all.

Best regards,

Mike

Sent from my BlackBerry device on the Rogers Wireless Network

-----Original Message-----
Sender: [hidden email]
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 21:45:50
To: An open mailing list to discuss any topics related to an open-sourceSmalltalk<[hidden email]>
Reply-To: [hidden email]
Subject: [Pharo-project] thoughts of a tired but happy man...

Since I work too much I'm tired and when I'm tired I have strange thoughts :)
Let us see what they are (if of any interest)

I do not really know if people realize that in fact we could be payed for building our own private little toy
and we could publish cool papers, looks smart and look at ourselves quite proudly in the mirror the morning.
The look of the guy that accomplished his duty and is quite cool too.
This would be a perfect life: a full life of a brillant researcher having fun with his little toys. Students
of course would have fun with us and we would be a happy family. Imagine we could even write
books, little books and everybody would be happy. flower, butterflies and the rest...

Now we decided to do pharo. Why: because we want other people to be able to make a living out of it.

I'm not sure that people deeply understand that. We do pharo (of course so that we can experiment crazy ideas
but we could have probably do that better in Scheme from my experience) because we want others to be empowered
and in the position of making money with it and changing/controlling their life because they are not forced to use
something that they do not like.

So this means that each time we spend time on it (we = the community) we make sure that others or the community
can feed their kids based on our labor. For me this is a cool task and I enjoyed doing it even if sometimes my moral
is low because I would like to go much much faster.

You could think that we should have better done to have fun
with our little toys and sometimes I think that yes this could be true. But we decided that it was more rewarding
to build real systems with customers that are not always happy, have bugs. So when you have strong expectations,
bold statements about Pharo think also that this is the simple work of people most of the time not payed to do it and that nicely
share it.

We know where we want to go, sometimes the system does not get the shape we want. but each little peebles after the other

Stef

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse

On Sep 21, 2011, at 11:34 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi Stef,
>
> From one of those who manages to eke out a living using Pharo, a very big "Thank You" to you all.

I'm happy :)

>
> Best regards,
>
> Mike
>
>
> Sent from my BlackBerry device on the Rogers Wireless Network
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
> Sender: [hidden email]
> Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 21:45:50
> To: An open mailing list to discuss any topics related to an open-sourceSmalltalk<[hidden email]>
> Reply-To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Pharo-project] thoughts of a tired but happy man...
>
>
>
>
>
>
> share it.
>
>
> Stef
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse
In reply to this post by Laszlo Zsolt Kiss

On Sep 21, 2011, at 10:44 PM, Laszlo Zsolt Kiss wrote:

> Dear Stef.
> The Hungarians have a saying:
> "We cry together and laugh together."

:)

> If you tired, think about my son Patrik (4 and half years old) , who every week "working" with Pharo.

I have one of nearly 5 and he is so energetic :)

> Energy is important, therefore we are sending a big portion of the good energy on the occult roads.:)
>
> Best regards:
>
> László Zsolt

Reply | Threaded
|

Helene Bilbo
Stéphane Ducasse wrote
I thought of Pharo (because of the Smalltalk-Balloon) when looking at one of my favourite paintings „Balloon Site“ by Dame Laura Knight. It emphasizes the community effort - in a slightly emotive way :)

Have a look: http://www.google.de/search?q=dame+laura+knight+balloon&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch

Dame Laura Knight Balloon Site
Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse
tx

I like http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_E_o_0Bdm4GA/TDtSghEvljI/AAAAAAAA5xQ/t9FCMt5DezQ/s1600/Dame%2BLaura%2BKnight%2BLamorna%2BCove.bmp&imgrefurl=http://polarbearstale.blogspot.com/2010/07/dame-laura-knight-1877-1970.html&usg=__ecsFSnn4_-ZAuV2Pbde8dQ1HKVQ=&h=448&w=640&sz=76&hl=de&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=2aORDi6_o1rESM:&tbnh=134&tbnw=185&ei=X0d8TrXGNOic0AW8usDfDw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Ddame%2Blaura%2Bknight%2Bballoon%26um%3D1%26hl%3Dde%26biw%3D1357%26bih%3D941%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=722&vpy=458&dur=4629&hovh=188&hovw=268&tx=165&ty=92&page=1&ndsp=31&ved=1t:429,r:16,s:0

On Sep 23, 2011, at 10:00 AM, Helene Bilbo wrote:

>
> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>> We know where we want to go, sometimes the system does not get the shape
>> we want. but each little peebles after the other
>> one we shape it. Now you can also help to make it better.
>>
>
> I thought of Pharo (because of the Smalltalk-Balloon) when looking at one of
> my favourite paintings „Balloon Site“ by Dame Laura Knight. It emphasizes
> the community effort - in a slightly emotive way :)
>
> Have a look:
> http://www.google.de/search?q=dame+laura+knight+balloon&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch
>
> http://forum.world.st/file/n3836100/laura_knight_balloon_site.jpg 
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://forum.world.st/thoughts-of-a-tired-but-happy-man-tp3831201p3836100.html
> Sent from the Pharo Smalltalk mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>