Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

tips for how to delete package in store repo

Ken G. Brown
I'm trying to delete a package in a store repository set up on PostgreSQL.

I believe i have the proper user permissions etc. and can get as far as marking the package for deletion via Launcher/Store/Administration/Garbage Collection.
However I don't seem to be able to actually delete the package.

It seems like deleting a package on the repo must be straight forward so i suspect I am missing some key steps.

VW 7.9.1 Mac

Thx in advance for any tips.
Ken G. Brown
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: tips for how to delete package in store repo

Niall Ross
Dear Ken,
    make sure you have the 'Store-Garbage Collection' parcel loaded.  It
is an undesirable feature of the UI that it does nothing silently if
that package is absent, instead of informing the user.  (Older releases
had this behaviour in the image by default but in the interests of
safety, it was made into an explicit load a release or two back.)

(If I'm pointing out the obvious here, my apologies.)
             Niall Ross

>I'm trying to delete a package in a store repository set up on PostgreSQL.
>
>I believe i have the proper user permissions etc. and can get as far as marking the package for deletion via Launcher/Store/Administration/Garbage Collection.
>However I don't seem to be able to actually delete the package.
>
>It seems like deleting a package on the repo must be straight forward so i suspect I am missing some key steps.
>
>VW 7.9.1 Mac
>
>Thx in advance for any tips.
>Ken G. Brown
>_______________________________________________
>vwnc mailing list
>[hidden email]
>http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/vwnc
>
>
>  
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: tips for how to delete package in store repo

Ken G. Brown
Not obvious at all.
And the other thing that isn't obvious so far at least is where to find the Store-Garbage Collection parcel.
I looked thru the Parcel Manager and could not find.

I my image I see StoreBase/Store-Database Support/Store-Respoitory Access > Garbage Collector class but no
Store-Garbage Collection parcel.

Where do I find the needed parcel?

Thx,
Ken

On 2013-10-21, at 12:08 PM, Niall Ross <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Ken,
>   make sure you have the 'Store-Garbage Collection' parcel loaded.  It is an undesirable feature of the UI that it does nothing silently if that package is absent, instead of informing the user.  (Older releases had this behaviour in the image by default but in the interests of safety, it was made into an explicit load a release or two back.)
>
>       (If I'm pointing out the obvious here, my apologies.)
>            Niall Ross
>
>> I'm trying to delete a package in a store repository set up on PostgreSQL.
>>
>> I believe i have the proper user permissions etc. and can get as far as marking the package for deletion via Launcher/Store/Administration/Garbage Collection.
>> However I don't seem to be able to actually delete the package.
>>
>> It seems like deleting a package on the repo must be straight forward so i suspect I am missing some key steps.
>>
>> VW 7.9.1 Mac
>>
>> Thx in advance for any tips.
>> Ken G. Brown
>> _______________________________________________
>> vwnc mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/vwnc
>>
>>
>>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

My first advice was wrong: 2nd attempt - Re: tips for how to delete package in store repo

Niall Ross
Dear Ken,
    my apologies - I was misremembering.

> it was made into an explicit load

_not_

> a release or two back

but in 7.10, so in 7.9.1 the class Store.GarbageCollector should be in
your image and you will not have any 'Store-Garbage Collection' parcel.

OK, second attempt to help.

If you have fully specified the GCing of a package version and that GC
does not happen, you should see an error of some kind raised - either a
warning that the user does not have image permissions or a database
permissions error or whatever.

IIUC your email, you are seeing a silent failure.  If that is right then
(again, apologies if I am pointing out the obvious), have you done
'Select for Removal' and seen the version put in the lower pane, but not
done 'Apply changes'.  After you 'Apply Changes', the version gets the
blessing level 'Marked for Deletion' (easy to check in standard Store
browser).  Until you do that, nothing will happen.

HTH
                Niall Ross

>Not obvious at all.
>And the other thing that isn't obvious so far at least is where to find the Store-Garbage Collection parcel.
>I looked thru the Parcel Manager and could not find.
>
>I my image I see StoreBase/Store-Database Support/Store-Respoitory Access > Garbage Collector class but no
>Store-Garbage Collection parcel.
>
>Where do I find the needed parcel?
>
>Thx,
>Ken
>
>
>On 2013-10-21, at 12:08 PM, Niall Ross <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  
>
>>Dear Ken,
>>  make sure you have the 'Store-Garbage Collection' parcel loaded.  It is an undesirable feature of the UI that it does nothing silently if that package is absent, instead of informing the user.  (Older releases had this behaviour in the image by default but in the interests of safety, it was made into an explicit load a release or two back.)
>>
>>      (If I'm pointing out the obvious here, my apologies.)
>>           Niall Ross
>>
>>    
>>
>>>I'm trying to delete a package in a store repository set up on PostgreSQL.
>>>
>>>I believe i have the proper user permissions etc. and can get as far as marking the package for deletion via Launcher/Store/Administration/Garbage Collection.
>>>However I don't seem to be able to actually delete the package.
>>>
>>>It seems like deleting a package on the repo must be straight forward so i suspect I am missing some key steps.
>>>
>>>VW 7.9.1 Mac
>>>
>>>Thx in advance for any tips.
>>>Ken G. Brown
>>>_______________________________________________
>>>vwnc mailing list
>>>[hidden email]
>>>http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/vwnc
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>      
>>>
>>    
>>
>
>
>
>  
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: My first advice was wrong: 2nd attempt - Re: tips for how to delete package in store repo

Ken G. Brown
I've managed to get the parcel to be blessed 'marked for deletion' in the bottom pane of the 'Mark Repository Packages and Bundles for Removal' window by doing Apply.

When I click the 'Start Garbage Collection' button, after some time I see the following in the Transcript:
Garbage collection started:   21 October, 2013 3:24:09 PM
Examining...
        Bundles: 0
        Packages 1
        NameSpaces: 22
        Classes: 998
        Methods: 33772
        Shared Variables: 378

Then apparently nothing else happens.

Do I have to set filters to match the parcel somehow so that only the desired parcel shows in the top pane? If I do that, with name like and version like, I still see the parcel marked for deletion in the bottom pane and nothing in the top pane.

When I look back into the repo after a good amount of time and refresh, the parcel is still there.

Ken

On 2013-10-21, at 1:00 PM, Niall Ross <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Ken,
>   my apologies - I was misremembering.
>
> > it was made into an explicit load
>
> _not_
>
> > a release or two back
>
> but in 7.10, so in 7.9.1 the class Store.GarbageCollector should be in your image and you will not have any 'Store-Garbage Collection' parcel.
>
> OK, second attempt to help.
>
> If you have fully specified the GCing of a package version and that GC does not happen, you should see an error of some kind raised - either a warning that the user does not have image permissions or a database permissions error or whatever.
>
> IIUC your email, you are seeing a silent failure.  If that is right then (again, apologies if I am pointing out the obvious), have you done 'Select for Removal' and seen the version put in the lower pane, but not done 'Apply changes'.  After you 'Apply Changes', the version gets the blessing level 'Marked for Deletion' (easy to check in standard Store browser).  Until you do that, nothing will happen.
>
>            HTH
>               Niall Ross
>
>> Not obvious at all.
>> And the other thing that isn't obvious so far at least is where to find the Store-Garbage Collection parcel.
>> I looked thru the Parcel Manager and could not find.
>>
>> I my image I see StoreBase/Store-Database Support/Store-Respoitory Access > Garbage Collector class but no Store-Garbage Collection parcel.
>>
>> Where do I find the needed parcel?
>>
>> Thx,
>> Ken
>>
>>
>> On 2013-10-21, at 12:08 PM, Niall Ross <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>
>>> Dear Ken,
>>> make sure you have the 'Store-Garbage Collection' parcel loaded.  It is an undesirable feature of the UI that it does nothing silently if that package is absent, instead of informing the user.  (Older releases had this behaviour in the image by default but in the interests of safety, it was made into an explicit load a release or two back.)
>>>
>>>     (If I'm pointing out the obvious here, my apologies.)
>>>          Niall Ross
>>>
>>>  
>>>> I'm trying to delete a package in a store repository set up on PostgreSQL.
>>>>
>>>> I believe i have the proper user permissions etc. and can get as far as marking the package for deletion via Launcher/Store/Administration/Garbage Collection.
>>>> However I don't seem to be able to actually delete the package.
>>>>
>>>> It seems like deleting a package on the repo must be straight forward so i suspect I am missing some key steps.
>>>>
>>>> VW 7.9.1 Mac
>>>>
>>>> Thx in advance for any tips.
>>>> Ken G. Brown
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> vwnc mailing list
>>>> [hidden email]
>>>> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/vwnc
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>    
>>>  
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: My first advice was wrong: 2nd attempt - Re: tips for how to delete package in store repo

Niall Ross
Dear Ken,

>I've managed to get the parcel to be blessed 'marked for deletion' in the bottom pane of the 'Mark Repository Packages and Bundles for Removal' window by doing Apply.
>
>When I click the 'Start Garbage Collection' button, after some time I see the following in the Transcript:
>Garbage collection started:   21 October, 2013 3:24:09 PM
>Examining...
> Bundles: 0
> Packages 1
> NameSpaces: 22
> Classes: 998
> Methods: 33772
> Shared Variables: 378
>
>Then apparently nothing else happens.
>
>Do I have to set filters to match the parcel somehow so that only the desired parcel shows in the top pane? If I do that, with name like and version like, I still see the parcel marked for deletion in the bottom pane and nothing in the top pane.
>
>When I look back into the repo after a good amount of time and refresh, the parcel is still there.
>  
>
What you see indicates that GC of the package has started.  Garbage
collection in Store can take time - there can be a good deal of
verifying of fan-out from the package's contents, reparenting/childing -
or just checking that none is needed.  Just let the GCing image run.

I routinely schedule any Store GC activities I have to do - albeit of
more than one package, usually - for weekends/overnight/other periods
where just letting the image run is not an issue.

One may argue that the tool could use more feedback showing its progress.

HTH
                   Niall Ross

>Ken
>
>On 2013-10-21, at 1:00 PM, Niall Ross <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  
>
>>Dear Ken,
>>  my apologies - I was misremembering.
>>
>>    
>>
>>>it was made into an explicit load
>>>      
>>>
>>_not_
>>
>>    
>>
>>>a release or two back
>>>      
>>>
>>but in 7.10, so in 7.9.1 the class Store.GarbageCollector should be in your image and you will not have any 'Store-Garbage Collection' parcel.
>>
>>OK, second attempt to help.
>>
>>If you have fully specified the GCing of a package version and that GC does not happen, you should see an error of some kind raised - either a warning that the user does not have image permissions or a database permissions error or whatever.
>>
>>IIUC your email, you are seeing a silent failure.  If that is right then (again, apologies if I am pointing out the obvious), have you done 'Select for Removal' and seen the version put in the lower pane, but not done 'Apply changes'.  After you 'Apply Changes', the version gets the blessing level 'Marked for Deletion' (easy to check in standard Store browser).  Until you do that, nothing will happen.
>>
>>           HTH
>>              Niall Ross
>>
>>    
>>
>>>Not obvious at all.
>>>And the other thing that isn't obvious so far at least is where to find the Store-Garbage Collection parcel.
>>>I looked thru the Parcel Manager and could not find.
>>>
>>>I my image I see StoreBase/Store-Database Support/Store-Respoitory Access > Garbage Collector class but no Store-Garbage Collection parcel.
>>>
>>>Where do I find the needed parcel?
>>>
>>>Thx,
>>>Ken
>>>
>>>
>>>On 2013-10-21, at 12:08 PM, Niall Ross <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>      
>>>
>>>>Dear Ken,
>>>>make sure you have the 'Store-Garbage Collection' parcel loaded.  It is an undesirable feature of the UI that it does nothing silently if that package is absent, instead of informing the user.  (Older releases had this behaviour in the image by default but in the interests of safety, it was made into an explicit load a release or two back.)
>>>>
>>>>    (If I'm pointing out the obvious here, my apologies.)
>>>>         Niall Ross
>>>>
>>>>  
>>>>        
>>>>
>>>>>I'm trying to delete a package in a store repository set up on PostgreSQL.
>>>>>
>>>>>I believe i have the proper user permissions etc. and can get as far as marking the package for deletion via Launcher/Store/Administration/Garbage Collection.
>>>>>However I don't seem to be able to actually delete the package.
>>>>>
>>>>>It seems like deleting a package on the repo must be straight forward so i suspect I am missing some key steps.
>>>>>
>>>>>VW 7.9.1 Mac
>>>>>
>>>>>Thx in advance for any tips.
>>>>>Ken G. Brown
>>>>>_______________________________________________
>>>>>vwnc mailing list
>>>>>[hidden email]
>>>>>http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/vwnc
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>    
>>>>>          
>>>>>
>>>>  
>>>>        
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>      
>>>
>>    
>>
>
>
>
>  
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Ken G. Brown
I may have started the garbage  collector more than once, is that possible?

Should I start the process over by exiting the image and coming back in fresh? What would happen if it were aborted in the middle of the operation?

Can I look to see that something is still happening somehow, like in Process Monitor?
I see: Store.MarkPundlesForDeletionTool>>startgarbageCollector but it is mostly blocked but I guess it runs sometimes. How will I know when it has completed?

Yes, please, much more/better feedback.

Thx,
Ken

On 2013-10-21, at 2:06 PM, Niall Ross <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Ken,
>
>> I've managed to get the parcel to be blessed 'marked for deletion' in the bottom pane of the 'Mark Repository Packages and Bundles for Removal' window by doing Apply.
>>
>> When I click the 'Start Garbage Collection' button, after some time I see the following in the Transcript:
>> Garbage collection started:   21 October, 2013 3:24:09 PM
>> Examining...
>> Bundles: 0
>> Packages 1
>> NameSpaces: 22
>> Classes: 998
>> Methods: 33772
>> Shared Variables: 378
>>
>> Then apparently nothing else happens.
>>
>> Do I have to set filters to match the parcel somehow so that only the desired parcel shows in the top pane? If I do that, with name like and version like, I still see the parcel marked for deletion in the bottom pane and nothing in the top pane.
>>
>> When I look back into the repo after a good amount of time and refresh, the parcel is still there.
>>
> What you see indicates that GC of the package has started.  Garbage collection in Store can take time - there can be a good deal of verifying of fan-out from the package's contents, reparenting/childing - or just checking that none is needed.  Just let the GCing image run.
>
> I routinely schedule any Store GC activities I have to do - albeit of more than one package, usually - for weekends/overnight/other periods where just letting the image run is not an issue.
>
> One may argue that the tool could use more feedback showing its progress.
>
>            HTH
>                  Niall Ross
>
>> Ken
>>
>> On 2013-10-21, at 1:00 PM, Niall Ross <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>
>>> Dear Ken,
>>> my apologies - I was misremembering.
>>>
>>>  
>>>> it was made into an explicit load
>>>>    
>>> _not_
>>>
>>>  
>>>> a release or two back
>>>>    
>>> but in 7.10, so in 7.9.1 the class Store.GarbageCollector should be in your image and you will not have any 'Store-Garbage Collection' parcel.
>>>
>>> OK, second attempt to help.
>>>
>>> If you have fully specified the GCing of a package version and that GC does not happen, you should see an error of some kind raised - either a warning that the user does not have image permissions or a database permissions error or whatever.
>>>
>>> IIUC your email, you are seeing a silent failure.  If that is right then (again, apologies if I am pointing out the obvious), have you done 'Select for Removal' and seen the version put in the lower pane, but not done 'Apply changes'.  After you 'Apply Changes', the version gets the blessing level 'Marked for Deletion' (easy to check in standard Store browser).  Until you do that, nothing will happen.
>>>
>>>          HTH
>>>             Niall Ross
>>>
>>>  
>>>> Not obvious at all.
>>>> And the other thing that isn't obvious so far at least is where to find the Store-Garbage Collection parcel.
>>>> I looked thru the Parcel Manager and could not find.
>>>>
>>>> I my image I see StoreBase/Store-Database Support/Store-Respoitory Access > Garbage Collector class but no Store-Garbage Collection parcel.
>>>>
>>>> Where do I find the needed parcel?
>>>>
>>>> Thx,
>>>> Ken
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On 2013-10-21, at 12:08 PM, Niall Ross <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>    
>>>>> Dear Ken,
>>>>> make sure you have the 'Store-Garbage Collection' parcel loaded.  It is an undesirable feature of the UI that it does nothing silently if that package is absent, instead of informing the user.  (Older releases had this behaviour in the image by default but in the interests of safety, it was made into an explicit load a release or two back.)
>>>>>
>>>>>   (If I'm pointing out the obvious here, my apologies.)
>>>>>        Niall Ross
>>>>>
>>>>>        
>>>>>> I'm trying to delete a package in a store repository set up on PostgreSQL.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I believe i have the proper user permissions etc. and can get as far as marking the package for deletion via Launcher/Store/Administration/Garbage Collection.
>>>>>> However I don't seem to be able to actually delete the package.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> It seems like deleting a package on the repo must be straight forward so i suspect I am missing some key steps.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> VW 7.9.1 Mac
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Thx in advance for any tips.
>>>>>> Ken G. Brown
>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>> vwnc mailing list
>>>>>> [hidden email]
>>>>>> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/vwnc
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>            
>>>>>        
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>    
>>>  
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Niall Ross
Dear Ken,

>I may have started the garbage  collector more than once, is that possible?
>
>Should I start the process over by exiting the image and coming back in fresh? What would happen if it were aborted in the middle of the operation?
>  
>
If you abort, the database _should_ roll the transaction back cleanly.

For the moment, my advice remains as before - just let it run;  I've had
to let GCs run for hours before now.

Yours faithfully
                   Niall Ross

>Can I look to see that something is still happening somehow, like in Process Monitor?
>I see: Store.MarkPundlesForDeletionTool>>startgarbageCollector but it is mostly blocked but I guess it runs sometimes. How will I know when it has completed?
>
>Yes, please, much more/better feedback.
>
>Thx,
>Ken
>
>On 2013-10-21, at 2:06 PM, Niall Ross <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  
>
>>Dear Ken,
>>
>>    
>>
>>>I've managed to get the parcel to be blessed 'marked for deletion' in the bottom pane of the 'Mark Repository Packages and Bundles for Removal' window by doing Apply.
>>>
>>>When I click the 'Start Garbage Collection' button, after some time I see the following in the Transcript:
>>>Garbage collection started:   21 October, 2013 3:24:09 PM
>>>Examining...
>>> Bundles: 0
>>> Packages 1
>>> NameSpaces: 22
>>> Classes: 998
>>> Methods: 33772
>>> Shared Variables: 378
>>>
>>>Then apparently nothing else happens.
>>>
>>>Do I have to set filters to match the parcel somehow so that only the desired parcel shows in the top pane? If I do that, with name like and version like, I still see the parcel marked for deletion in the bottom pane and nothing in the top pane.
>>>
>>>When I look back into the repo after a good amount of time and refresh, the parcel is still there.
>>>
>>>      
>>>
>>What you see indicates that GC of the package has started.  Garbage collection in Store can take time - there can be a good deal of verifying of fan-out from the package's contents, reparenting/childing - or just checking that none is needed.  Just let the GCing image run.
>>
>>I routinely schedule any Store GC activities I have to do - albeit of more than one package, usually - for weekends/overnight/other periods where just letting the image run is not an issue.
>>
>>One may argue that the tool could use more feedback showing its progress.
>>
>>           HTH
>>                 Niall Ross
>>
>>    
>>
>>>Ken
>>>
>>>On 2013-10-21, at 1:00 PM, Niall Ross <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>      
>>>
>>>>Dear Ken,
>>>>my apologies - I was misremembering.
>>>>
>>>>  
>>>>        
>>>>
>>>>>it was made into an explicit load
>>>>>    
>>>>>          
>>>>>
>>>>_not_
>>>>
>>>>  
>>>>        
>>>>
>>>>>a release or two back
>>>>>    
>>>>>          
>>>>>
>>>>but in 7.10, so in 7.9.1 the class Store.GarbageCollector should be in your image and you will not have any 'Store-Garbage Collection' parcel.
>>>>
>>>>OK, second attempt to help.
>>>>
>>>>If you have fully specified the GCing of a package version and that GC does not happen, you should see an error of some kind raised - either a warning that the user does not have image permissions or a database permissions error or whatever.
>>>>
>>>>IIUC your email, you are seeing a silent failure.  If that is right then (again, apologies if I am pointing out the obvious), have you done 'Select for Removal' and seen the version put in the lower pane, but not done 'Apply changes'.  After you 'Apply Changes', the version gets the blessing level 'Marked for Deletion' (easy to check in standard Store browser).  Until you do that, nothing will happen.
>>>>
>>>>         HTH
>>>>            Niall Ross
>>>>
>>>>  
>>>>        
>>>>
>>>>>Not obvious at all.
>>>>>And the other thing that isn't obvious so far at least is where to find the Store-Garbage Collection parcel.
>>>>>I looked thru the Parcel Manager and could not find.
>>>>>
>>>>>I my image I see StoreBase/Store-Database Support/Store-Respoitory Access > Garbage Collector class but no Store-Garbage Collection parcel.
>>>>>
>>>>>Where do I find the needed parcel?
>>>>>
>>>>>Thx,
>>>>>Ken
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>On 2013-10-21, at 12:08 PM, Niall Ross <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>    
>>>>>          
>>>>>
>>>>>>Dear Ken,
>>>>>>make sure you have the 'Store-Garbage Collection' parcel loaded.  It is an undesirable feature of the UI that it does nothing silently if that package is absent, instead of informing the user.  (Older releases had this behaviour in the image by default but in the interests of safety, it was made into an explicit load a release or two back.)
>>>>>>
>>>>>>  (If I'm pointing out the obvious here, my apologies.)
>>>>>>       Niall Ross
>>>>>>
>>>>>>      
>>>>>>            
>>>>>>
>>>>>>>I'm trying to delete a package in a store repository set up on PostgreSQL.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>I believe i have the proper user permissions etc. and can get as far as marking the package for deletion via Launcher/Store/Administration/Garbage Collection.
>>>>>>>However I don't seem to be able to actually delete the package.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>It seems like deleting a package on the repo must be straight forward so i suspect I am missing some key steps.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>VW 7.9.1 Mac
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>Thx in advance for any tips.
>>>>>>>Ken G. Brown
>>>>>>>_______________________________________________
>>>>>>>vwnc mailing list
>>>>>>>[hidden email]
>>>>>>>http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/vwnc
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>