[tode_st] Cannot delete methods nor to move to another protocol

[tode_st] Cannot delete methods nor to move to another protocol

Mariano Martinez Peck
Dale,

I feel dumb, but I cannot see any menu entry for deleting a method. Look at the attached screenshot.

Also...I tried the "Move to protocol" but it did nothing (the method continues to be in the old protocol). Can you reproduce it too?

Thanks,

Screen Shot 2015-10-08 at 2.19.42 PM.png (384K) Download Attachment

Re: [tode_st] Cannot delete methods nor to move to another protocol

Dale Henrichs-3
The cut/copy/paste menu items are under the Edit menu ...

When you cut/copy a method, it can be pasted into a different class or a different protocol ... if you past into a text window you will see the class>>selector pattern ....

tODE has the notion of a selection _object_ buffer and over time I will be leveraging this more and more ...

Dale

Dale,

I feel dumb, but I cannot see any menu entry for deleting a method. Look at the attached screenshot.

Also...I tried the "Move to protocol" but it did nothing (the method continues to be in the old protocol). Can you reproduce it too?

Thanks,

Re: [tode_st] Cannot delete methods nor to move to another protocol

Mariano Martinez Peck
Ok, so then I have a couple of questions/observations:

1) I can confirm that "Move to protocol" DOES WORK now. But it seems to be eating exceptions. Try to CUT a method that requires more privileges. For example, try a CUT of the method Date >> dayOfMonth. You get:

 SecurityError(AbstractException)>>_signalFromPrimitive: @5 line 15

Now...try to select #dateOfMonth and do a "Move to Protocol". It does nothing yet shows no error/debugger. So it seems eating exception.

2) Still, how I remove a method? Cutting and to not pasting it seems weird to me. And for classes you do have a "Remove". So why not adding "Remove" menu entry? Seems a bit more logic to me.

On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 2:43 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok, so then I have a couple of questions/observations:

1) I can confirm that "Move to protocol" DOES WORK now. But it seems to be eating exceptions. Try to CUT a method that requires more privileges. For example, try a CUT of the method Date >> dayOfMonth. You get:

 SecurityError(AbstractException)>>_signalFromPrimitive: @5 line 15

Now...try to select #dateOfMonth and do a "Move to Protocol". It does nothing yet shows no error/debugger. So it seems eating exception.

2) Still, how I remove a method? Cutting and to not pasting it seems weird to me. And for classes you do have a "Remove". So why not adding "Remove" menu entry? Seems a bit more logic to me.

Dale, if you agree, my procedure would be first check with you and if you agree, then open an issue. Rather than open an issue for discussing.

On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 2:31 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
The cut/copy/paste menu items are under the Edit menu ...

When you cut/copy a method, it can be pasted into a different class or a different protocol ... if you past into a text window you will see the class>>selector pattern ....

tODE has the notion of a selection _object_ buffer and over time I will be leveraging this more and more ...

Dale

Dale,

I feel dumb, but I cannot see any menu entry for deleting a method. Look at the attached screenshot.

Also...I tried the "Move to protocol" but it did nothing (the method continues to be in the old protocol). Can you reproduce it too?

Thanks,

Re: [tode_st] Cannot delete methods nor to move to another protocol

Dale Henrichs-3

> Ok, so then I have a couple of questions/observations:
>
> 1) I can confirm that "Move to protocol" DOES WORK now. But it seems
> to be eating exceptions. Try to CUT a method that requires more
> privileges. For example, try a CUT of the method Date >> dayOfMonth.
> You get:
>
>  SecurityError(AbstractException)>>_signalFromPrimitive: @5 line 15
Date>>dayOfMonth is a method that is the base system and as DataCurator,
SystemUser to do that ... and tODE does not work as SystemUser) ...

> Now...try to select #dateOfMonth and do a "Move to Protocol". It does
> nothing yet shows no error/debugger. So it seems eating exception.
Because of the way that GLASS/GsDevKit uses session methods, you _ARE_
allowed to override and/or change the protocol of a method ... the
method should show up in the new protocol (and may be present in the old
protocol ... but that is a bug) ...

> 2) Still, how I remove a method? Cutting and to not pasting it seems
> weird to me. And for classes you do have a "Remove". So why not adding
> "Remove" menu entry? Seems a bit more logic to me.
Well, cut/copy(?)/paste works for classes too:) ... With that said, I
don't have any problem with renaming menu items ... it's worth
submitting a bug on this .... even with a different name, you'd get a
SecurityError if you try to delete a method that is in the base system ...

Eventually I can be friendlier with the security error message and even
have a different hightlight/icon asociated with the system methods ...
this limitation has been present forever in GLASS/GsDevKit and is not
unique to tODE:)

Dale

[...]

This sounds good ...

Dale

On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 3:23 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ok, so then I have a couple of questions/observations:

1) I can confirm that "Move to protocol" DOES WORK now. But it seems to be eating exceptions. Try to CUT a method that requires more privileges. For example, try a CUT of the method Date >> dayOfMonth. You get:

 SecurityError(AbstractException)>>_signalFromPrimitive: @5 line 15
Date>>dayOfMonth is a method that is the base system and as DataCurator, you do not have permissions to delete that method (you have to log in as SystemUser to do that ... and tODE does not work as SystemUser) ...

Yes, I know that, but thanks anyway. I was to point out the next point.

Now...try to select #dateOfMonth and do a "Move to Protocol". It does nothing yet shows no error/debugger. So it seems eating exception.
Because of the way that GLASS/GsDevKit uses session methods, you _ARE_ allowed to override and/or change the protocol of a method ... the method should show up in the new protocol (and may be present in the old protocol ... but that is a bug) ...

OK. I understand that different. But still it did not work for me. I tried either "Move to Protocol" and even COPYING (not cutting) and PASTING. And still, it only remains in the old protocol nothing in new one, and no error.

2) Still, how I remove a method? Cutting and to not pasting it seems weird to me. And for classes you do have a "Remove". So why not adding "Remove" menu entry? Seems a bit more logic to me.
Well, cut/copy(?)/paste works for classes too:) ... With that said, I don't have any problem with renaming menu items ... it's worth submitting a bug on this .... even with a different name, you'd get a SecurityError if you try to delete a method that is in the base system ...

I will add an entry. I really think a "delete" menu entry is much cleaner than cutting and do nothing. "cut" gives the notion the method is still somewhere. Even that you may be able to revert or paste. For how long? no clue. "Delete" is exactly a delete and it's immediate.

Eventually I can be friendlier with the security error message and even have a different hightlight/icon asociated with the system methods ... this limitation has been present forever in GLASS/GsDevKit and is not unique to tODE:)

uffff the highlighted or somehow mark the system methods would be super cool to have. Really.

Dale

[...]

Which method are you talking about Date>>dayOfMonth? or a new method that you've created in Date ... I'm personally not in the habit of moving SystemUser methods around in different protocols so I'm not surprised that it is misbehaving for you ... if you submit an issue I will look into it ... I assume that this is not a critical issue for you?

2) Still, how I remove a method? Cutting and to not pasting it seems weird to me. And for classes you do have a "Remove". So why not adding "Remove" menu entry? Seems a bit more logic to me.
Well, cut/copy(?)/paste works for classes too:) ... With that said, I don't have any problem with renaming menu items ... it's worth submitting a bug on this .... even with a different name, you'd get a SecurityError if you try to delete a method that is in the base system ...

I will add an entry. I really think a "delete" menu entry is much cleaner than cutting and do nothing. "cut" gives the notion the method is still somewhere. Even that you may be able to revert or paste. For how long? no clue. "Delete" is exactly a delete and it's immediate.
Yeah, in the very beginning I had no menus and only shortcut keys ... so that approach has carried over to the menus themselves ... but I am sensitive to the confusion that this can cause and appreciate you calling me out on this:)

Eventually I can be friendlier with the security error message and even have a different hightlight/icon asociated with the system methods ... this limitation has been present forever in GLASS/GsDevKit and is not unique to tODE:)

uffff the highlighted or somehow mark the system methods would be super cool to have. Really.

Please submit issue so it doesn't get lost:)

Dale

On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 3:51 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

It's not a critical issue at all. I just think that "Move to protocol" should either work (using session methods) or clearly show the security error. Right now it does none. And in fact, it wasn't easy for me to realize it was a "system method". I only get that exception when cutting it..
I opened an issue.

[...]

Opened issue.