[tode_st] GemStone & Seaside

1 message Options

[tode_st] GemStone & Seaside

Dale Henrichs-3
Ian,

I just saw this comment on the pharo mailing list and I'm curious why
you didn't post your comments on this list? From your mail that I
answered today you seem to have switched your gears to using an Amber
client, so I don't quite understand why you are posting on a pharo
mailing list ...

I don't normally read messages on the pharo list entitled: "Pharo-users
Digest, Vol 57, Issue 39​" ...

I know what this means for me as an evaluator of Smalltalk as a viable
system.  I only include my response to that group to simply to show my pain.

The responses I got were on the order of 'you could do this,' or write
that...  Neither answer, from my perspective is valid.

I reiterate that Pharo with built in persistence as in a fully
integrated Gemstone is, IMHO, the best approach to take.  The fact that
gemstone as the only non-flattened oo extensible database is sad.
Worse is that Gemtalk sees Gemstone as a separate entity. Object
persistence requires application level integration ie. gemstone requires
you to develop your app and have it run in the stone in order to
persist.  The Gemtalk philosophy is thus flawed on the face of it.

I don't means to disparage anyone just stating facts as I see them.

Could you please expand on your statements and provide a little more
background on each of them so that I can understand the basis for each
statement and make an informed response to your borderline inflammatory
remarks:

   - The fact that gemstone as the only non-flattened oo extensible
database is sad.
   - Worse is that Gemtalk sees Gemstone as a separate entity.
   - Object persistence requires application level integration ie.
gemstone requires you to
      develop your app and have it run in the stone in order to persist.
    - The Gemtalk philosophy is thus flawed on the face of it.

If you want out-of-box client-side persistence with a GemStone backend,
this does exist, for VW and VA. A number of our customers use VW and VA
for large, robust client/server applications that have been running for
decades, but your initial post indicated that you wanted to use Pharo
images and we do not have the kind of tight coupling for Pharo.

If you want to use Pharo and GemStone today I stand by my initial
statement that your best bet is to use REST.

Dale