[tode_st] How can I map tODE command line arguments installTode to the real script/code?

[tode_st] How can I map tODE command line arguments installTode to the real script/code?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi Dale,

Imagine I have this line:

$GS_HOME/bin/private/gsDevKitTodeCommandLine installTode $stoneName

How can I get the real code or script that gets executed when the commandline tool receives the argument 'installTode' ?

Thanks in advance,

Re: [tode_st] How can I map tODE command line arguments installTode to the real script/code?

Dale Henrichs-3

On 10/19/2015 01:05 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
> Hi Dale,
>
> Imagine I have this line:
>
> $GS_HOME/bin/private/gsDevKitTodeCommandLine installTode $stoneName
>
> How can I get the real code or script that gets executed when the
> commandline tool receives the argument 'installTode' ?

$GS_HOME/sys/default/client/tode-scripts is the disk location for the 2
scripts called by the installTode command line.

The first script called is installServerTode. `installServerTode` calls
the  `installServer` builtin that bootstraps tODE into a stone. The
bootstrap scripts are in
$GS_HOME/sys/default/client/server-bootstrap-scripts and you should
recognize them.

The second script called is installServerTode2. This script sets up tode
and does the initial backups ...

You can customize the scripts and .ws files in the tode-scripts and
server-bootstrap-scripts by copying the file or files that you want to
customize into the corresponding $GS_HOME/sys/local/client/ directory
... the files under the local tree are in your GsDevKit_sys_local git
repository and are owned by you and isolated form the the other projects ...

Is this what you were looking for?

Dale

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 5:28 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 10/19/2015 01:05 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
Hi Dale,

Imagine I have this line:

$GS_HOME/bin/private/gsDevKitTodeCommandLine installTode $stoneName

How can I get the real code or script that gets executed when the commandline tool receives the argument 'installTode' ?

$GS_HOME/sys/default/client/tode-scripts is the disk location for the 2 scripts called by the installTode command line.

Hi Dale. Ok, but as for a learning/exploring purpose, how can I know that installTode calls those 2 scritps? I mean, imagine I start following bash files to understand exactly what a script does. Then, sometimes I arrive into a place where you pass things via argument, like in this case, and then I am lost, I don't know how it continues. Do I need to check the command line handler code?

The first script called is installServerTode. `installServerTode` calls the  `installServer` builtin that bootstraps tODE into a stone. The bootstrap scripts are in $GS_HOME/sys/default/client/server-bootstrap-scripts and you should recognize them.

The second script called is installServerTode2. This script sets up tode and does the initial backups ...

You can customize the scripts and .ws files in the tode-scripts and server-bootstrap-scripts by copying the file or files that you want to customize into the corresponding $GS_HOME/sys/local/client/ directory ... the files under the local tree are in your GsDevKit_sys_local git repository and are owned by you and isolated form the the other projects ...

OK, this is interesting to know.  Thanks, will keep it in mind.

On 10/19/2015 02:19 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

[...]

This is bootstrapping code and this information should be included in the help for the installTode command line command:

  $GS_HOME/bin/private/gsDevKitTodeCommandLine installTode --help

... or read code ... at the moment the help doesn't tell you what I wrote in this mail message, but it should ... that goes for all of the command line commands:

  $GS_HOME/bin/private/gsDevKitTodeCommandLine --list

Ian issue on this would be useful ...as I am neck deep in something right now ...

Dale

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 8:25 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

That would be useful, yes.

I had a similar opinion when dealing with normal commands. Say mc, mr, project, etc etc etc. When you show the help of them, it would be VERY nice to show which is the command subclass that implements such command. Then if I am in doubt in a parameter or whatever, I can easily go to the code.

On 10/19/15 4:36 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

[...]

I actually try to insert the implementing class of the command in the help, but it doesn't always show up and I haven't dug into the reasons ... one reason might be that the command is so old that the version of the man page creator doesn't insert the reference the way it's supposed to or ????

But I do agree that including the class in the help; is a good thing ...

Dale