[tode_st] How can I use an ssh tunnel to access a stone over the WAN ?

[tode_st] How can I use an ssh tunnel to access a stone over the WAN ?

Paul DeBruicker
I'm trying to use the following to access a remote stone.

Connect to the server with ssh and forward connections from port 5037 on the laptop to 50377 on the server:

ssh -L 5037:127.0.0.1:50377 [hidden email]

In tode on the laptop, specfiy that the NetLDI server is at port 5037 e.g.:

sessionDescription := OGCustomSessionDescription new
    name: '3104';
    gemstoneVersion: '3.1.0.4';
    gciLibraryName: 'libgcirpc-3.1.0.4-32.dylib';
    adornmentColor: Color lightGreen;
    stoneHost: 'localhost';
    stoneName: 'seaside';
    gemHost: 'localhost';
    netLDI: '5037';
    gemTask: 'gemnetobject';
    userId: 'DataCurator';
    password: 'swordfish';
    osUserId: '';
    osPassword: '';
    backupDirectory: '';
    dataDirectory: '';
    yourself.

TDTopezClient sessionMap
    at: sessionDescription name
    put: sessionDescription.

TDShell open: '3104'.
```

But when I try to run a command on the remote stone from the laptop. e.g.

browse class Integer

I get a variation of this error:

Topez ERROR: Error: Network error - text follows:
, rpcLogin2 NetConnect failed, rejectCode 9, connect(34,::ffff:127.0.0.1,port=44410) failed with errno=22,EINVAL, Invalid argument (programmer error)No network error. For further information about login failures, check the gem log file

Each time the port is different in the above which makes me think the tode session is using a random port to connect to the stone.

Is there a better way to do what I'm attempting?

Thanks

Paul

Re: [tode_st] How can I use an ssh tunnel to access a stone over the WAN ?

Dale Henrichs-3
Paul,

The problem that you are seeing is that 50377 is used to connect from the client to the server (which you've arranged), but then the stone will use a different port to connect from the server to the client, so I think you need to specify multiple ssh tunnels[1].

I haven't tried this but you'd start your netldi using the following command:

  $GEMSTONE/bin/startnetldi -P 50377 -p50378:50379 -g -a $USER

and then set up your tunnel:

  ssh \
    -L 50377:127.0.0.1:50377 \
    -L 50378:127.0.0.1:50378 \
    -L 50379:127.0.0.1:50379 \
    [hidden email]

And then you should be off to the races ... let me know if this works.

Dale

[1] http://www.phase2technology.com/blog/multiple-ssh-tunnels/

| I'm trying to use the following to access a remote stone.
|
| Connect to the server with ssh and forward connections from port 5037
| on the laptop to 50377 on the server:
|
| ssh -L 5037:127.0.0.1:50377 [hidden email]
|

| In tode on the laptop, specfiy that the NetLDI server is at port 5037
| e.g.:
|

| sessionDescription := OGCustomSessionDescription new
|     name: '3104';
|     gemstoneVersion: '3.1.0.4';
|     gciLibraryName: 'libgcirpc-3.1.0.4-32.dylib';
|     adornmentColor: Color lightGreen;
|     stoneHost: 'localhost';
|     stoneName: 'seaside';
|     gemHost: 'localhost';
|     netLDI: '5037';
|     gemTask: 'gemnetobject';
|     userId: 'DataCurator';
|     password: 'swordfish';
|     osUserId: '';
|     osPassword: '';
|     backupDirectory: '';
|     dataDirectory: '';
|     yourself.
|
| TDTopezClient sessionMap
|     at: sessionDescription name
|     put: sessionDescription.
|
| TDShell open: '3104'.
| ```
|
| But when I try to run a command on the remote stone from the laptop.
| e.g.
|
| browse class Integer
|
| I get a variation of this error:
|

| Topez ERROR: Error: Network error - text follows:
| , rpcLogin2 NetConnect failed, rejectCode 9,
| connect(34,::ffff:127.0.0.1,port=44410) failed with errno=22,EINVAL,
| Invalid argument (programmer error)No network error. For further
| information about login failures, check the gem log file
|

| Each time the port is different in the above which makes me think the
| tode session is using a random port to connect to the stone.
|

| Is there a better way to do what I'm attempting?
|

| Thanks
|
| Paul

Re: [tode_st] How can I use an ssh tunnel to access a stone over the WAN ?

Paul DeBruicker
Hi Dale,

That worked great. I did have to change the ports that netldi runs on the server to not conflict with my local copy of GemStone.  So instead of 5037x I used 6037x.

Thanks for the help

Paul

On Nov 5, 2013, at 2:14 PM, Dale K. Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Paul,
>
> The problem that you are seeing is that 50377 is used to connect from the client to the server (which you've arranged), but then the stone will use a different port to connect from the server to the client, so I think you need to specify multiple ssh tunnels[1].
>
> I haven't tried this but you'd start your netldi using the following command:
>
>  $GEMSTONE/bin/startnetldi -P 50377 -p50378:50379 -g -a $USER
>
> and then set up your tunnel:
>
>  ssh \
>    -L 50377:127.0.0.1:50377 \
>    -L 50378:127.0.0.1:50378 \
>    -L 50379:127.0.0.1:50379 \
>    [hidden email]
>
> And then you should be off to the races ... let me know if this works.
>
> Dale
>
> [1] http://www.phase2technology.com/blog/multiple-ssh-tunnels/

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi guys,

Just for the record, I have the same problem as Paul and the solution provided by Dale did work too. I changed my netldi staring code to this:

  su -m  $RUNASUSER -c 'cd $APPLICATION_DIR; $GEMSTONE_INSTALLATION/bin/startnetldi -g -a $GEMSTONE_USER -n -P $NETLDI_PORT -p`expr $NETLDI_PORT + 1`:`expr $NETLDI_PORT + 2` -l $APPLICATION_LOG_DIR/netldi$APPLICATION_NAME.log netldi$APPLICATION_NAME > $GEMSTONE_LOGDIR/netldiStartup.log 2>&1'

Dale, it would be supercool if we could start documenting the alternatives to connect to a remote stone. This should be one of the possibilities, and the definition of the ports with -p in startnetldi is not obvious for none advanced users.

Best,

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 12:53 AM, Paul DeBruicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Dale,

That worked great. I did have to change the ports that netldi runs on the server to not conflict with my local copy of GemStone.  So instead of 5037x I used 6037x.

Thanks for the help

Paul

On Nov 5, 2013, at 2:14 PM, Dale K. Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Paul,
>
> The problem that you are seeing is that 50377 is used to connect from the client to the server (which you've arranged), but then the stone will use a different port to connect from the server to the client, so I think you need to specify multiple ssh tunnels[1].
>
> I haven't tried this but you'd start your netldi using the following command:
>
>  $GEMSTONE/bin/startnetldi -P 50377 -p50378:50379 -g -a $USER
>
> and then set up your tunnel:
>
>  ssh \
>    -L 50377:127.0.0.1:50377 \
>    -L 50378:127.0.0.1:50378 \
>    -L 50379:127.0.0.1:50379 \
>    [hidden email]
>
> And then you should be off to the races ... let me know if this works.
>
> Dale
>
> [1] http://www.phase2technology.com/blog/multiple-ssh-tunnels/

Here are the docs for port forwarding with netldi[1] and x11 port forwarding[2].

Dale

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/gsDevKitHome/blob/dev/docs/portForwardingForRemoteLogins.md
[2] https://github.com/GsDevKit/gsDevKitHome/blob/dev/docs/x11ForwardingForRemoteDisplays.md

On 09/14/2015 02:50 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
Hi guys,

Just for the record, I have the same problem as Paul and the solution provided by Dale did work too. I changed my netldi staring code to this:

  su -m  $RUNASUSER -c 'cd $APPLICATION_DIR; $GEMSTONE_INSTALLATION/bin/startnetldi -g -a $GEMSTONE_USER -n -P $NETLDI_PORT -p`expr $NETLDI_PORT + 1`:`expr $NETLDI_PORT + 2` -l $APPLICATION_LOG_DIR/netldi$APPLICATION_NAME.log netldi$APPLICATION_NAME > $GEMSTONE_LOGDIR/netldiStartup.log 2>&1'

Dale, it would be supercool if we could start documenting the alternatives to connect to a remote stone. This should be one of the possibilities, and the definition of the ports with -p in startnetldi is not obvious for none advanced users.

Best,

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 12:53 AM, Paul DeBruicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Dale,

That worked great. I did have to change the ports that netldi runs on the server to not conflict with my local copy of GemStone.  So instead of 5037x I used 6037x.

Thanks for the help

Paul

On Nov 5, 2013, at 2:14 PM, Dale K. Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Paul,
>
> The problem that you are seeing is that 50377 is used to connect from the client to the server (which you've arranged), but then the stone will use a different port to connect from the server to the client, so I think you need to specify multiple ssh tunnels[1].
>
> I haven't tried this but you'd start your netldi using the following command:
>
>  $GEMSTONE/bin/startnetldi -P 50377 -p50378:50379 -g -a $USER
>
> and then set up your tunnel:
>
>  ssh \
>    -L 50377:127.0.0.1:50377 \
>    -L 50378:127.0.0.1:50378 \
>    -L 50379:127.0.0.1:50379 \
>    [hidden email]
>
> And then you should be off to the races ... let me know if this works.
>
> Dale
>
> [1] http://www.phase2technology.com/blog/multiple-ssh-tunnels/

Cooool! Thanks Dale. I wasn't aware of the "docs" folder. I thought all info was in the main readme,
Thank you again for another should have been RTFM :)

Seems tODE and gsDevKit is very well documented. Thanks and Congrats!