[tode_st] How to run setUpSys for a remote stone?

[tode_st] How to run setUpSys for a remote stone?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi Dale,

I am trying to run the "script --script=setUpSys" for a stone which is actually in the server (remote). I am getting the error as the other time:

tode 1 > script --script=setUpSys
Topez ERROR: a TodeCommandError occurred (error 121000), File or directory not found: '$GS_HOME/tode/sys/default'
tode 1 > eval `{System clientEnvironmentVariable: 'GS_HOME'. System gemEnvironmentVariable: 'GS_HOME'}`; edit
[149551617 sz:1 Array] anArray( anArray( '/Users/mariano/gsDevKitHome', nil))

But now I am confused...because you said gems get the env from the netlid. But these guys are in the SERVER not my local machine. So yeah, I COULD set the GS_HOME in the server as /Users/mariano/gsDevKitHome but then it means it would only work for my machine hahahhahaa.

So how it's the expected way to work with remote stones and multiple programmers?

Thanks in advance,

Re: [tode_st] How to run setUpSys for a remote stone?

Dale Henrichs-3

On 09/16/2015 03:06 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi Dale,
>
> I am trying to run the "script --script=setUpSys" for a stone which is
> actually in the server (remote). I am getting the error as the other time:
>
> tode 1 > script --script=setUpSys
> Topez ERROR: a TodeCommandError occurred (error 121000), File or
> directory not found: '$GS_HOME/tode/sys/default'
> tode 1 > eval `{System clientEnvironmentVariable: 'GS_HOME'. System
> gemEnvironmentVariable: 'GS_HOME'}`; edit
> [149551617 sz:1 Array] anArray( anArray(
> '/Users/mariano/gsDevKitHome', nil))
>
> But now I am confused...because you said gems get the env from the
> netlid. But these guys are in the SERVER not my local machine. So
> yeah, I COULD set the GS_HOME in the server as
> /Users/mariano/gsDevKitHome but then it means it would only work for
> my machine hahahhahaa.
>
> So how it's the expected way to work with remote stones and multiple
> programmers?

The $GS_HOME directory structure is expected to be located on the stones
host with GS_HOME pointing to that directory on the gem/stone host file
system.

You were running with a client and stone on the same host so things
worked correctly ... Now you need to have a GS_HOME on your server
machine ...

You could start with a fresh checkout and for the server since you are
not running a client there and you are not using the scripts, you only
really need the $GS_HOME/tode directory structure ... personally I keep
my server and client machines in sync sharing everything via github

In your case, you could just get away with using `scp` to get your
initial stone directory and then cp that initial stone directory for
each stone that you've installed tODE into ...

You also need to restart your netldi that is running on the server.

In the next few weeks I plan to restructure things so that the client
and server gsDevKitHome directories are independent of each other (while
still sharing the directories that need to be shared) ... I'm doing this
to be able to support Windows better, but I think it will also make the
distinction between client and server clearer: server structure on
server machine, client structure on client machine ...

Dale

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 7:23 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Here I should simply clone my own fork and branch in the server?

and for the server since you are not running a client there and you are not using the scripts, you only really need the $GS_HOME/tode directory structure ... personally I keep my server and client machines in sync sharing everything via github

In your case, you could just get away with using `scp` to get your initial stone directory and then cp that initial stone directory for each stone that you've installed tODE into ...

Yes, I can do that. My question is mostly about the files stored in /sys/local/ etc (really, after seen how nice I can manage scripts I have lots to add hahahhhah). I mean, if I store the scripts in the server directory, I won't have them automatically in my client machine. If I have them in my client machine, I won't have them in the server. So...this is the part you sync via github?  I guess I COULD push/pull in my own branch/fork since both would be using the same. Correct? However, I cannot make a fork private, and all my app-based scripts cannot be public....

mmmmmmmm I think for  now maybe manual sync would do it.... thoughts?

You also need to restart your netldi that is running on the server.

In the next few weeks I plan to restructure things so that the client and server gsDevKitHome directories are independent of each other (while still sharing the directories that need to be shared) ... I'm doing this to be able to support Windows better, but I think it will also make the distinction between client and server clearer: server structure on server machine, client structure on client machine ...

okok

Dale

On 09/16/2015 03:33 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

[...]

yeah that is the way I keep the same sets of scripts and stuff up-to-date between client and server ..

[...]

bitbucket has free private repos and you could use bitbucket for these scripts ... or you could set up a git server (ahhh) ... or use rsync from a git repo that is your master repo ....

mmmmmmmm I think for  now maybe manual sync would do it.... thoughts?
Yeah if you use git on one end you'll have the advantage of history and then you can rsync to the other end (there are lots of options for rsync so you cn skip sharing the .git directory, gemstone/products, gemstone/stones etc.

You also need to restart your netldi that is running on the server.

In the next few weeks I plan to restructure things so that the client and server gsDevKitHome directories are independent of each other (while still sharing the directories that need to be shared) ... I'm doing this to be able to support Windows better, but I think it will also make the distinction between client and server clearer: server structure on server machine, client structure on client machine ...

okok

BTW, I do want to mention that I really appreciate your effort here ... this little exchange will help me refine the restructuring that I need to do also you are helping me understand where we're short on docs, etc. So thanks a lot ...

I'm glad you are seeing the potential of sharing the scripts ... it's definitely one of the things that I think is really productive about tODE:)

Dale

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 8:12 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

OK, got it.

[...]

Yes...I think right now I will manage it with scp/rsync and maybe in the future think in another alternative.

You also need to restart your netldi that is running on the server.

In the next few weeks I plan to restructure things so that the client and server gsDevKitHome directories are independent of each other (while still sharing the directories that need to be shared) ... I'm doing this to be able to support Windows better, but I think it will also make the distinction between client and server clearer: server structure on server machine, client structure on client machine ...

okok

BTW, I do want to mention that I really appreciate your effort here ... this little exchange will help me refine the restructuring that I need to do also you are helping me understand where we're short on docs, etc. So thanks a lot ...

Sure, no problem. It is taking me some time (I am not charging this to my client!) but I am sure it will be worth. On the other side, you always help us that much that it is not fare I keep using old tools, reporting already existing issues, etc. The least I can do is to help you test/improve your current developments. So tODE is the first step. If business success, hopefully I will be able to migrate to 3.3.

I'm glad you are seeing the potential of sharing the scripts ... it's definitely one of the things that I think is really productive about tODE:)

Indeed.

I will continue asking :)

Dale

Re: [tode_st] How to run setUpSys for a remote stone?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi Dale, I am making progress, but not still there. I was able to have a installServer tode 3.1.0.6 working with a todeClient working too (all this in the server). When I was able to open a shell and a client test with "tode" stone. Then I created a description for one of my stones (debrisTesting), and I was able too to open a shelll and to client test. I then did:

cp -r $GS_HOME/tode/sys/stones/tode  $GS_HOME/tode/sys/stones/debrisTesting

But I am failing to run the "script --script=setUpSys" ($GS_HOME is correct as a gem var)

Looks like if " dir := stoneRootDir directoryNamed: 'home'. " is answering nil.
Of course, the directory does exist:

[quuve@quuveserver1 home]$ ls -la /opt/gsDevKitHome/gsDevKitHome/tode/sys/stones/debrisTesting/home total 8 drwxrwx--- 2 quuve quuve 4096 Sep 17 10:11 . drwxrwx--- 4 quuve quuve 4096 Sep 17 10:11 ..

I attach some screenshots and also , I got some stacks...

Any idea?

aTDDebugger -------------------- 1. ImproperOperation(AbstractException)>>_signalFromPrimitive: @5 line 15 2. [] in Executed Code 3. [] in Executed Code 4. Dictionary(AbstractDictionary)>>at:ifPresent:ifAbsent: @3 line 5 5. Dictionary>>at:ifAbsent:ifPresent: @2 line 5 6. [] in Executed Code 7. TDTopezServer>>evaluateCommand:objIn: @16 line 14 8. TDTopezServer>>evaluateSTONCommand: @9 line 6 9. Executed Code 10. UndefinedObject(GsNMethod class)>>_gsReturnToC @1 line 1 Inspect [] in Executed Code[] in Executed Codehome//home/[] in Executed Code[] in Executed Codehome//home/// -------------------- . -> [] in Executed Code[] in Executed Codehome//home/[] in Executed Code[] in Executed Codehome//home// (class)@ -> TDFileSystemDirectoryNode (oop)@ -> 43291393 builderAspect@ -> nil contents@ -> aServerFileDirectory name@ -> [] in Executed Code[] in Executed Codehome//home/( $[, $], $ , $i, $n, $ , $E, $x, $e, $c, $u, $t, $e, $d, $ , $C, $o, $d, $e, $[, $], $ , $... parent@ -> [] in Executed Code[] in Executed Codehome//home/ readMe@ -> nil topez@ -> aTDTopezServer

Screen Shot 2015-09-17 at 11.10.05 AM.png (226K) Download Attachment
Screen Shot 2015-09-17 at 11.00.47 AM.png (164K) Download Attachment

Re: [tode_st] How to run setUpSys for a remote stone?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Of course, it's a permission issue. In my real productions, I run each stone with a particular OS user. And then I have ANOTHER user which I use to manage all stones. But all processes of a gemstone run with a particular user. So if you need write access to a file from within that stone you must either chown or give write/read access to "other".

So I am thinking the best solution now, but let me ask something:

Who would be actually reading and writing in /opt/gsDevKitHome/gsDevKitHome/tode/sys/stones/stoneXXX ????   the process running the todeClient image (I guess not) or the gemstone stoneXXX itself?  I guess the later, otherwise todeClient would not work from a local machine...

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 11:33 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
Of course, it's a permission issue. In my real productions, I run each stone with a particular OS user. And then I have ANOTHER user which I use to manage all stones. But all processes of a gemstone run with a particular user. So if you need write access to a file from within that stone you must either chown or give write/read access to "other".

So I am thinking the best solution now, but let me ask something:

Who would be actually reading and writing in /opt/gsDevKitHome/gsDevKitHome/tode/sys/stones/stoneXXX ????   the process running the todeClient image (I guess not) or the gemstone stoneXXX itself?  I guess the later, otherwise todeClient would not work from a local machine...

grrrr mmm it seems somehow the OS user running todeClient  is involved... I tried chown all my stone substructure to the user of that stone. script --script=setUpSys did work correct, but then I failed for example to do a "touch" of a file in my home and it would fail in the #forceNewFileNamed: etc

So...yeah...I am confused about which process will be reading and writing stuff inside '/opt/gsDevKitHome/gsDevKitHome/tode/sys/stones/stoneXXX'.

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 11:47 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

More information..doing a touch with the OS user that runs that stone in the SAME directory does work:

[debristesting@quuveserver1 ]$ touch /opt/gsDevKitHome/gsDevKitHome/tode/sys/stones/debrisTesting/home/hola.st

mmmm

> [...]

Indeed.

I will continue asking :)

Dale

Re: [tode_st] How to run setUpSys for a remote stone?

Dale Henrichs-3

> Of course, it's a permission issue. In my real productions, I run each
> stone with a particular OS user. And then I have ANOTHER user which I
> use to manage all stones. But all processes of a gemstone run with a
> particular user. So if you need write access to a file from within
> that stone you must either chown or give write/read access to "other".
>
> So I am thinking the best solution now, but let me ask something:
>
> Who would be actually reading and writing in
> /opt/gsDevKitHome/gsDevKitHome/tode/sys/stones/stoneXXX ???? the
> process running the todeClient image (I guess not) or the gemstone
> stoneXXX itself?  I guess the later, otherwise todeClient would not

The gem is running as the user associated with the netldi ... and only
the gem on the stones machine will be reading those directories -
depending upon what you share with your client machine .... your client
machine only needs $GS_HOME/tode/sys/local/descriptions (i think:), but
if you want to share scripts with stones on your client machine then you
should be sharing $GS_HOME/tode/sys/local ... so you can therefore avoid
sharing $GS_HOME/tode/sys/stones if you want to keep some things private ...

Dale

[...]

How do you start your netldi process and which user do you use to start the process ... the user that the todeClient is running under on the remote machine is not involved ... it is a user issue on your server machine

Dale

[...]

Do you have a ps output (that includes the users) for the various process on your server? The stoned user is not involved either ... the user associated with the gem process is the one to look at here ...

Dale

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 12:08 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 11:33 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

su $RUNASUSER -c 'cd $APPLICATION_DIR; $GEMSTONE_INSTALLATION/bin/startnetldi -g -a $GEMSTONE_USER -n -P $NETLDI_PORT -p`expr $NETLDI_PORT + 1`:`expr $NETLDI_PORT + 2` -l $APPLICATION_LOG_DIR/netldi$APPLICATION_NAME.log netldi$APPLICATION_NAME > $GEMSTONE_LOGDIR/netldiStartup.log 2>&1'

$RUNASUSER is 'debristesting' and it's the OS users used to all gemstone processes of that stone debrisTesting.

See this:

$ ps -fea | grep netldi | grep debrisTest
debrist+  5058     1  0 09:46 ?        00:00:00 /opt/gemstone/GemStone64Bit3.1.0.6-x86_64.Linux/sys/netldid netldidebrisTesting -g -n -adebristesting -p40101:40102 -P40100 -l /quuve/sites/debrisTesting/gemstone/log/netldidebrisTesting.log

So I did:

cp -r $GS_HOME/tode/sys/stones/tode  $GS_HOME/tode/sys/stones/debrisTesting
chown -R debristesting:debristesting  $GS_HOME/tode/sys/stones/debrisTesting

And so as said, "script --script=setUpSys" did work, but I am failing at touching files in home.

... the user that the todeClient is running under on the remote machine is not involved ... it is a user issue on your server machine

Good to know that the user running todeClient has nothing to do!

Dale

[...]

After you login with tODE, do a `ps -efw | grep gem | grep TCP` and find out what user that gem is running as and we'll go from there ...

Dale

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 12:21 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

[marianopeck@quuveserver1 ~]$ ps -efw | grep gem | grep TCP
debrist+  5035  5023  0 09:46 ?        00:00:00 /opt/gemstone/product/sys/pgsvrmain TCP 53473 90
quuve     5256  5244  0 09:58 ?        00:00:03 /opt/gsDevKitHome/gsDevKitHome/gemstone/stones/tode/product/sys/pgsvrmain TCP 60043 90
debrist+  5450  5058  0 10:40 ?        00:00:00 /opt/gemstone/product/sys/gem TCP 56187 30 -p40101:40102
debrist+  5515  5058  0 10:51 ?        00:00:00 /opt/gemstone/product/sys/gem TCP 41728 30 -p40101:40102

'quuve' is the OS user I use to run todeClient and 'debristesting' (debrist+) is the one running netldi and the stone and everything of that stone.

Dale

[...]

Okay. Now what are the file and directory permissions for $GS_HOME/tode/sys/stones/debrisTesting and it's subdirectories?

Refresh my memory on exactly the error you are getting along with fresh stacks so I can have the information based on everything that you've changed to date.... I've got to shower and head into the office now :)

Dale

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 12:08 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

WTF...I exit tODe shell, enter it again and now it works.....

:)

[...]

Well I guess that's good news:) ... if you restarted your netldi since you started that session, then that would explain things ... otherwise, I'm not so sure:)

... obviously I don't have a lot of experience with multi-user systems:)

Dale

Re: [tode_st] How to run setUpSys for a remote stone?

Mariano Martinez Peck
OK Dale, these are more or less the steps I need to do:

1) Create a throw-away stone in order to have todeClient and directories strucutres created:

installServer tode 3.1.0.6

2)

vim /opt/gsDevKitHome/gsDevKitHome/tode/sys/local/client/descriptions/debrisTesting
cp -r $GS_HOME/tode/sys/stones/tode  $GS_HOME/tode/sys/stones/debrisTesting
sudo chown -R debristesting:debristesting  $GS_HOME/tode/sys/stones/debrisTesting

3) Stop and start again netldi to be sure GS_HOME is get. Confirm that via the following in tODE shell:

eval `{System clientEnvironmentVariable: 'GS_HOME'. System gemEnvironmentVariable: 'GS_HOME'}`; edit

If both elements (fist and second) are correct, then we are fine

4) Enter tODE shell and run

script --script=setUpSys

5) Done, confirm we can do things inside tODE like:

cd /home
ls
touch testing
edit testing

[...]

Thanks --- recorded as tODE issue #204[1]

Dale

[1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/tode/issues/204