[tode_st] New couple of questions and feedback about tODE

[tode_st] New couple of questions and feedback about tODE

Mariano Martinez Peck
I am already enjoying tODE quite a bit and I have stopped using GemTools. From now onward all my GemStone developments will be in tODE. That means I will be having quetions, problems, feedback, etc. Be prepared! :)

1) Is there a way to NOT automatically format a method each time I save it? I can accept that for a script, but for my source code, I usually want my own formatting, not the automatic one. Is there a setting somewhere?

2) I personally think that the Object Log listed should be sorted the other way around (#reversed ?). THat is.... newer on top rather than in the bottom.

3) Is there a global shortcut to go to the shell and with cursor in the console? I mean...to give you focus to directly start typing in the console.

4) I have found a strange issue with the method pane (the window that displays method source). I had tODE running with my app loaded. Then, from GemTools (both using same stone) I uploaded one of my app packages using MC Browser, to the latet version, then comitted. On tODE, I then did a abort, to get latest changes. In that new package version I loaded, I had a new class. This new class can be perfectly browsed and finded in tODE. But any code written in workspace shows this class as RED, like if it wouldn't exist. I tried closing workspace, open new, typing again, but still red. The only way I could fix this is to exit shell and log in again....

Re: [tode_st] New couple of questions and feedback about tODE

Dale Henrichs-3

> I am already enjoying tODE quite a bit and I have stopped using
> GemTools. From now onward all my GemStone developments will be in
> tODE. That means I will be having quetions, problems, feedback, etc.
> Be prepared! :)

Oh good, I'm glad!  Bring on the feedback!

> 1) Is there a way to NOT automatically format a method each time I
> save it? I can accept that for a script, but for my source code, I
> usually want my own formatting, not the automatic one. Is there a
> setting somewhere?
I need to create a .toderc or something equivalent so that a script can
be run at login to set some of the options. The following turns off
formatting:

   limit format false #turn off autoformatting

> 2) I personally think that the Object Log listed should be sorted the
> other way around (#reversed ?). THat is.... newer on top rather than
> in the bottom.
You can do `ol view -r` to get a reversed list ... do you mean by default?

> 3) Is there a global shortcut to go to the shell and with cursor in
> the console? I mean...to give you focus to directly start typing in
> the console.
No that sounds like a good feature request...

> 4) I have found a strange issue with the method pane (the window that
> displays method source). I had tODE running with my app loaded. Then,
> from GemTools (both using same stone) I uploaded one of my app
> packages using MC Browser, to the latet version, then comitted. On
> tODE, I then did a abort, to get latest changes. In that new package
> version I loaded, I had a new class. This new class can be perfectly
> browsed and finded in tODE. But any code written in workspace shows
> this class as RED, like if it wouldn't exist. I tried closing
> workspace, open new, typing again, but still red. The only way I could
> fix this is to exit shell and log in again....

This is probably worth a feature request as well ... not sure what
command to put this under ... for the time being here's a tODE shell
script[1] that does the job (here's the .ston version of the script[2]
that can be directly downloaded to you home dir on disk)

Dale

[1] https://gist.github.com/dalehenrich/82e971aab87c06ecb73f
[2] https://gist.github.com/dalehenrich/64986ba006546489b1be

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 2:31 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

I am already enjoying tODE quite a bit and I have stopped using GemTools. From now onward all my GemStone developments will be in tODE. That means I will be having quetions, problems, feedback, etc. Be prepared! :)

Oh good, I'm glad!  Bring on the feedback!

1) Is there a way to NOT automatically format a method each time I save it? I can accept that for a script, but for my source code, I usually want my own formatting, not the automatic one. Is there a setting somewhere?
I need to create a .toderc or something equivalent so that a script can be run at login to set some of the options.

Having a .toderc would be supercool.

In fact... I would like to go a bit forward and I would like to be able to hook upon shell login and exit. Why? To do a

System performOnServer: 'sh startSshNetldiPortForwarding'

:)

The following turns off formatting:

  limit format false #turn off autoformatting

Thanks, I didn't know about this. Problem is that it's scope is inside the current shell. As soon as I exit shell, I loose it.
Maybe this is why you said about having a .toderc ?

2) I personally think that the Object Log listed should be sorted the other way around (#reversed ?). THat is.... newer on top rather than in the bottom.
You can do `ol view -r` to get a reversed list ... do you mean by default?

Yes, I wanted to say for from my point of view, the reversed view should be the default. But you may not agree and no problem.

3) Is there a global shortcut to go to the shell and with cursor in the console? I mean...to give you focus to directly start typing in the console.
No that sounds like a good feature request...

OK, I opened an issue.

[...]

Thanks. Ok, at least I can manually force it without having to exit shell. However, I think it would be nice to do this automatically at least for the couple of known places where we load code... Right?

[...]

Unfortunately I think that you have to start the netldi port forwarding before you connect to the stone:) ...

The following turns off formatting:

  limit format false #turn off autoformatting

Thanks, I didn't know about this. Problem is that it's scope is inside the current shell. As soon as I exit shell, I loose it.
Maybe this is why you said about having a .toderc ?
yes ... I don't want to persist these options, because there could be multiple users and you quickly get into commit conflict hell ... a .toderc (from within tODE) is aimed at allowing you to set transient values on session login ...

2) I personally think that the Object Log listed should be sorted the other way around (#reversed ?). THat is.... newer on top rather than in the bottom.
You can do `ol view -r` to get a reversed list ... do you mean by default?

Yes, I wanted to say for from my point of view, the reversed view should be the default. But you may not agree and no problem.

It's not that I disagree, I'm just not sure of the "common use case" ... I tend to agree with you that much of the time I like to see the most recent entries  first ... but I don't know what the expected order is:)

3) Is there a global shortcut to go to the shell and with cursor in the console? I mean...to give you focus to directly start typing in the console.
No that sounds like a good feature request...

OK, I opened an issue.
Thank you.

[...]

resetAllGlobals is done automatically when making changes from within tODE (if you find places where this isn't true, then we have a bug)...

I thought you had described a case where you loaded code in GemTools and all you did was do an abort in tODE ... this is the case where the resetAllGlobals needs to be called ... I think this is worth a bug report, because we might be able to do something on the abort boundaries ....

Dale

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 4:35 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

OK, no problem.

The following turns off formatting:

  limit format false #turn off autoformatting

Thanks, I didn't know about this. Problem is that it's scope is inside the current shell. As soon as I exit shell, I loose it.
Maybe this is why you said about having a .toderc ?
yes ... I don't want to persist these options, because there could be multiple users and you quickly get into commit conflict hell ... a .toderc (from within tODE) is aimed at allowing you to set transient values on session login ...

Indeed, good point. I just opened an issue.

2) I personally think that the Object Log listed should be sorted the other way around (#reversed ?). THat is.... newer on top rather than in the bottom.
You can do `ol view -r` to get a reversed list ... do you mean by default?

Yes, I wanted to say for from my point of view, the reversed view should be the default. But you may not agree and no problem.

It's not that I disagree, I'm just not sure of the "common use case" ... I tend to agree with you that much of the time I like to see the most recent entries  first ... but I don't know what the expected order is:)

Ok, let's forget then and see if someone else complains in the future ;)

[...]

Well, it depends what do you mean by "within tODE". Do you mean by tODE commands or whatever executed in tODE gem?  Because yes, in that example I mentioned I run load the code in GemTools. But then, in another stone, I run a tODE script that would run my own smalltalk script that does Metacello new ... to update the configuration of my app. And I hit the same problem. I repeat...I did NOT use the tODE comments to load Metacello but I run a Smalltalk script that did Metacello new .. etc..

Should that have worked?

Dale

On 09/22/2015 01:11 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

2) I personally think that the Object Log listed should be sorted the other way around (#reversed ?). THat is.... newer on top rather than in the bottom.
You can do `ol view -r` to get a reversed list ... do you mean by default?

Yes, I wanted to say for from my point of view, the reversed view should be the default. But you may not agree and no problem.

It's not that I disagree, I'm just not sure of the "common use case" ... I tend to agree with you that much of the time I like to see the most recent entries  first ... but I don't know what the expected order is:)

Ok, let's forget then and see if someone else complains in the future ;)
... and you can write a wrapper script for `ol` that always reverses the output ... yeah?

[...]

I missed the part where you did the load directly into tODE:) ... and yeah I would want that to work ... the thing is that solving the "new globals on abort" is a different problem from "loading code into tODE without using commands that create new globals" ... I think that both are solvable but they take different routes to solution....

The main issue I'm facing here is that I want to avoid being too chatty over the wire ... I want to avoid sending messages over the write every time a new global is added ... I have some ideas for collecting events and but the ideas are still in their infancy ... in the case of a doit, I might be able to piggyback the response with an unconditional refresh of the globals ...

At the end of the day, it is worth submitting an issue so that this doesn't fall in between the cracks ...

Dale

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 5:39 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the explanation. I now understand the problematic. Considering this is something easy to fix and not very common, I would ignore it.
If you still want to fix it, then I would simply hook at metacello load (not sure if it provide hooks)  to do a ping back. Of course, it will still not work for manually created classes, for a file-in, from loading explicitly from MC, etc. That loading from MC will cover quite a large part and it's only one ping back when the load is finished.