[tode_st] Problems loading package

Mariano Martinez Peck
Dale,

I load/update my app using Metacello. But sometimes this takes several minutes and I just updated on package. So it is much faster for me to simply go to that package and grab the latest version (I do this very frequently in GemTools). In tODE I found 2 problems:

1) I browsed my app by doing " Project List", there I selected "IAM" (I have ConfigurationOfIAM), then right click "Browse Packages". From there, I took one package, right click "History" -> Monticello. That opened me a History of versions for that package.

Problem is I pushed a new version from a Pharo image and I found NO way to refresh that history in tODE. It never showed up the new version  I committed. I even tried the "Refresh" that you have at project level. Nothing working.

Is there a way to clean the history or force a refresh?
Of course, if I reload the app using Metacello (bleedingEdge kind of load) then I do see the new version...

2) I found no way to load a particular version of the package. From the "History for PackageXXX" window, where I can see version, if I right click I have "diff vs workingCopy",
"select", etc... but do not have "load" ...

How I am supposed to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Re: [tode_st] Problems loading package

Dale Henrichs-3

> Dale,
>
> I load/update my app using Metacello. But sometimes this takes several
> minutes and I just updated on package. So it is much faster for me to
> simply go to that package and grab the latest version (I do this very
> frequently in GemTools). In tODE I found 2 problems:
>
> 1) I browsed my app by doing " Project List", there I selected "IAM"
> (I have ConfigurationOfIAM), then right click "Browse Packages". From
> there, I took one package, right click "History" -> Monticello. That
> opened me a History of versions for that package.
The History menu item is showing you the history meta data for the
package, not the lists of packages in the repository ... When you click
on a package in the package list, a repository list should pop up ...
select the repository you are interested in and use the "packages" menu
item to get a list of packages in the repository, clicking on an entry
in that list will pop up a list of package versions and there should be
a load menu item to load the package ...

Alternatively from the `project list` you can "Browse >> repositories"
to go directly to the list of repositories associated with the project.

Alternatively from the tODE console you can do:

   mc load <package-name> <repository-spec>

and that should load the latest version of the package from the given
repository (see `man mc` for the full list of package-based commands and
`man mr` for the full list of repository-based commands).

Alternatively, if you are going to refresh directly from packages
frequently, you write write a little script (use an `sh` script so you
can use command line options) that uses the package loading API from the
`mc` tool like the `./bug
--load=GemStoneClassMigration-MarianoMartinezPeck.1` command[1] in the
example I put up as a gist[2]. Take a look at the code here[3] and here [4]
for inspiration.

This is the area where I have "provided a way" ... the mc and mr
commands are some of the oldes commands in tODE and have not been
re-written to use the latest subcommand model or even options ... the
"monticello browser" tools were some of the first tools written when I
added in menus .... so I will be rewriting them, but not before
November:) ... BUUUUUT I do intend to circle back and write better
versions of the tools.

Dale

[1]
https://gist.github.com/dalehenrich/626a3d731fc52f037657#file-bug-st-L168
[2] https://gist.github.com/dalehenrich/626a3d731fc52f037657
[3]
https://gist.github.com/dalehenrich/626a3d731fc52f037657#file-bug-st-L27-L30
[4]
https://gist.github.com/dalehenrich/626a3d731fc52f037657#file-bug-st-L80-L82

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 5:38 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

OK.... got it!!!  I was sure I was missing it somewhere...   Thanks!  Works perfect.

Alternatively from the tODE console you can do:

  mc load <package-name> <repository-spec>

and that should load the latest version of the package from the given repository (see `man mc` for the full list of package-based commands and `man mr` for the full list of repository-based commands).

Yes, I saw that, but typing the repo spec is too long hahhahahaa.

Alternatively, if you are going to refresh directly from packages frequently, you write write a little script (use an `sh` script so you can use command line options) that uses the package loading API from the `mc` tool like the `./bug --load=GemStoneClassMigration-MarianoMartinezPeck.1` command[1] in the example I put up as a gist[2]. Take a look at the code here[3] and here [4]
for inspiration.

Yes, indeed. Since many times there are 2 or 3 packages that are the most common I re load...

This is the area where I have "provided a way" ... the mc and mr commands are some of the oldes commands in tODE and have not been re-written to use the latest subcommand model or even options ... the "monticello browser" tools were some of the first tools written when I added in menus .... so I will be rewriting them, but not before November:) ... BUUUUUT I do intend to circle back and write better versions of the tools.

OK. Got it. So far it seems I have everything I need.

On 09/17/2015 02:12 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

[...]

You are right and you _can_ use an @reference that is an object reference from the node tree ...

so for tODE I might do:

  mc load Tode-GemStone-Server-Tests @/sys/stone/repos/Tode

and note that a package name or package version can be used... I'm still fiddling with object references ... I think they have potential but their use is still in infancy as far as I'm concerned

[...]

Yes and the mcload:from: method takes package name or package version name ...

Dale