[tode_st] Seaside + Gemstone

Tomas Freilij
Hi everyone, we are having some troubles to start a Seaside server that is suposed to retrieve objects from a Stone to work with them.

We have already installed seaside following this guide
https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/blob/master/docs/gettingStartedWithSeaside.md

But we are now clueless on how to deploy our site. Ill show a few steps that we have tried:

1) From the Seaside presentation web we createed a new site, which we can access the site through the correct uri.

2) After that, we query and see that the new class associated to the site is created in the stone (using the tode1 shell).

3) Finally, we pull the site in our Stone using Gofer (the web is commited in smalltalkhub).

However, after these, we still see the old site.

I guess that we still need one more thing to do between 2) and 3) but have no idea what would be.

The site was first created and tested using pharo+seaside and we guess that deploying it in our Stone should have worked without problems.

Thanks!

Re: [tode_st] Seaside + Gemstone

Dale Henrichs-3
Tomas,

I am sorry, but I am not quite following your questions, you might want
to adk this question on the GLASS list[1] as the folks on that list are
very familiar with the develop in Pharo and deploy in GemStone model, so
getting their insight will be very valuable ...

I will ask a few questions to clarify things for myself in-lined below

[1] http://forum.world.st/GLASS-f1460844.html

On 12/17/16 9:01 AM, Tomas Freilij wrote:

> Hi everyone, we are having some troubles to start a Seaside server
> that is suposed to retrieve objects from a Stone to work with them.
>
> We have already installed seaside following this guide
> https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/blob/master/docs/gettingStartedWithSeaside.md
>

> But we are now clueless on how to deploy our site. Ill show a few
> steps that we have tried:
>

> 1) From the Seaside presentation web we createed a new site, which we
> can access the site through the correct uri.
Do you mean that you created a Seaside component using step 2 on the
welcome page?

> 2) After that, we query and see that the new class associated to the
> site is created in the stone (using the tode1 shell).
So you've verified that the Seaside component in step 1 is visible in
the stone.

> 3) Finally, we pull the site in our Stone using Gofer (the web is
> commited in smalltalkhub).
I assume that he name of the Seaside component class you created in step
1 is the same as the name of the class you had already created and
stored on SmalltalkHUb?  Did the component have the same shape (i.e.,
class and instance variables, superclass, etc.)?

Which version of GemStone are you using (the version you used in the
$GS_HOME/createStone command) and which version of Seaside are you using
-- this should show up on the Welcome pabe in the web browser ...

> However, after these, we still see the old site.
I am asking, because in Seaside 3.1 and older, classes are stored as
direct references from class variables. GemStone has class versions
which means that a direct references to a class will reference the old
version of the class.

In Seaside3.2 classes are referenced indirectly by Seaside and this is
no longer an issue ... so at this point, I need to have version
information to move forward...

> I guess that we still need one more thing to do between 2) and 3) but
> have no idea what would be.
>
> The site was first created and tested using pharo+seaside and we guess
> that deploying it in our Stone should have worked without problems.

I do recommend that we continue this conversation on the GLASS list to
tap the experience of the other users.

Dale