classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[tode_st] Tode (Pharo) broken on Ubuntu18.04

Johan Brichau-3
Hi,

I am running the Tode client UI in a Ubuntu 18.04 (in Parallels desktop).

Today, the OS decided to trigger some upgrades and now Pharo (and hence the Tode client) is broken.
When starting, I am getting the following in the log:

could not find display driver vm-display-X11

I tried to reinstall the OS prereqs and the entire GsDevKit but the package manager says all prereqs are all already installed.

Anybody else using Tode in Ubuntu18 that has experience solving this issue?

(For now, reverting to a snapshot of the virtual environment… :-/)

Thx
Johan

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "tODE" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tode_st/886F1386-21AA-41AF-94E5-44E91A5EDEBF%40yesplan.be.
Reply | Threaded
|

[tode_st] Re: Tode (Pharo) broken on Ubuntu18.04

Johan Brichau-3
Additional info: I installed a new Ubuntu 18.04 and ran the software update first, after which I installed GsDevKit_home again.
In that order, the Tode client can run again.

So, there is probably some steps that get overwritten during updates….

Looking further…. ;)

Johan

> On 29 Jun 2020, at 09:53, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am running the Tode client UI in a Ubuntu 18.04 (in Parallels desktop).
>
> Today, the OS decided to trigger some upgrades and now Pharo (and hence the Tode client) is broken.
> When starting, I am getting the following in the log:
>
> could not find display driver vm-display-X11
>
> I tried to reinstall the OS prereqs and the entire GsDevKit but the package manager says all prereqs are all already installed.
>
> Anybody else using Tode in Ubuntu18 that has experience solving this issue?
>
> (For now, reverting to a snapshot of the virtual environment… :-/)
>
> Thx
> Johan

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "tODE" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tode_st/FEDAD819-8944-42F7-9DF5-2A9729302F32%40yesplan.be.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: [tode_st] Re: Tode (Pharo) broken on Ubuntu18.04

Dale Henrichs-3
I've been living with 18.04 for a while now and I pretty regularly
update the software ... from the error I'd guess that for some reason
the 32 bit xll client software got uninstalled?

Dale

On 6/29/20 2:41 AM, Johan Brichau wrote:

> Additional info: I installed a new Ubuntu 18.04 and ran the software update first, after which I installed GsDevKit_home again.
> In that order, the Tode client can run again.
>
> So, there is probably some steps that get overwritten during updates….
>
> Looking further…. ;)
>
> Johan
>
>> On 29 Jun 2020, at 09:53, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am running the Tode client UI in a Ubuntu 18.04 (in Parallels desktop).
>>
>> Today, the OS decided to trigger some upgrades and now Pharo (and hence the Tode client) is broken.
>> When starting, I am getting the following in the log:
>>
>> could not find display driver vm-display-X11
>>
>> I tried to reinstall the OS prereqs and the entire GsDevKit but the package manager says all prereqs are all already installed.
>>
>> Anybody else using Tode in Ubuntu18 that has experience solving this issue?
>>
>> (For now, reverting to a snapshot of the virtual environment… :-/)
>>
>> Thx
>> Johan

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tode_st/93ffe357-51a9-68df-5525-370f6d1069dd%40gemtalksystems.com.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: [tode_st] Tode (Pharo) broken on Ubuntu18.04

Johan Brichau-3
It has happened again following another update that got triggered in my parallels vm.
I have spent some time searching for what happened but running over all the steps to install the os prereqs is just not doing anything (the system says every package is installed…)

Perhaps some Parallels-specific package that is being installed is breaking things…

I have decided to use a Mojave vm instead, just to get away from trying to fix this right now.
But if anyone ever finds a way to fix it, I am all ears.

Johan

> On 30 Jun 2020, at 22:14, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've been living with 18.04 for a while now and I pretty regularly update the software ... from the error I'd guess that for some reason the 32 bit xll client software got uninstalled?
>
> Dale
>
> On 6/29/20 2:41 AM, Johan Brichau wrote:
>> Additional info: I installed a new Ubuntu 18.04 and ran the software update first, after which I installed GsDevKit_home again.
>> In that order, the Tode client can run again.
>>
>> So, there is probably some steps that get overwritten during updates….
>>
>> Looking further…. ;)
>>
>> Johan
>>
>>> On 29 Jun 2020, at 09:53, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am running the Tode client UI in a Ubuntu 18.04 (in Parallels desktop).
>>>
>>> Today, the OS decided to trigger some upgrades and now Pharo (and hence the Tode client) is broken.
>>> When starting, I am getting the following in the log:
>>>
>>> could not find display driver vm-display-X11
>>>
>>> I tried to reinstall the OS prereqs and the entire GsDevKit but the package manager says all prereqs are all already installed.
>>>
>>> Anybody else using Tode in Ubuntu18 that has experience solving this issue?
>>>
>>> (For now, reverting to a snapshot of the virtual environment… :-/)
>>>
>>> Thx
>>> Johan
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "tODE" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tode_st/93ffe357-51a9-68df-5525-370f6d1069dd%40gemtalksystems.com.

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tode_st/280F9DE1-E1B7-471E-B849-CF1DFE1069C0%40yesplan.be.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dale Henrichs-3

On 7/9/20 1:09 PM, Johan Brichau wrote:
It has happened again following another update that got triggered in my parallels vm.
I have spent some time searching for what happened but running over all the steps to install the os prereqs is just not doing anything (the system says every package is installed…)

If you are trying to rerun the installServer/Client scripts in an existing GsDevKit_home installation or $GS_HOME/bin/utils/installOsPrereqs, where it has already been run, it is worth knowing that there are several files that get created when you run install scripts, to prevent spurious reinstallation:

1. .gsdevkitSysSetup
  2. .sharedMemorySysSetup
  3. .osPrereqsSysSetup

to rerun just the prereqs installation, remove $GS_HOME/bin/.osPrereqsSysSetup and $GS_HOME/bin/.gsdevkitSysSetup ... it's probably not necessary to return the shared memory set up...

Dale

Perhaps some Parallels-specific package that is being installed is breaking things… 

I have decided to use a Mojave vm instead, just to get away from trying to fix this right now.

Johan

On 30 Jun 2020, at 22:14, Dale Henrichs [hidden email] wrote:

I've been living with 18.04 for a while now and I pretty regularly update the software ... from the error I'd guess that for some reason the 32 bit xll client software got uninstalled?

Dale

Additional info: I installed a new Ubuntu 18.04 and ran the software update first, after which I installed GsDevKit_home again.

Looking further…. ;)

Johan

On 29 Jun 2020, at 09:53, Johan Brichau [hidden email] wrote:

Hi,

Today, the OS decided to trigger some upgrades and now Pharo (and hence the Tode client) is broken.

I tried to reinstall the OS prereqs and the entire GsDevKit but the package manager says all prereqs are all already installed.

Thx
Johan
-- 
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tode_st/93ffe357-51a9-68df-5525-370f6d1069dd%40gemtalksystems.com.

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tode_st/55ed3e61-1fcb-abe1-a40d-b3b8cc0be1af%40gemtalksystems.com.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johan Brichau-3
Hey Dale,

Thanks for the reply. 
I did remove those files to trigger the entire script. I tried the steps manually as well and I also searched the packages that got installed in the update for any obvious clues.
Nothing…

I gave up. Mojave is a good alternative for now ;) I’m used to running client-server with Tode ;)

Johan

On 9 Jul 2020, at 22:22, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 7/9/20 1:09 PM, Johan Brichau wrote:

If you are trying to rerun the installServer/Client scripts in an existing GsDevKit_home installation or $GS_HOME/bin/utils/installOsPrereqs, where it has already been run, it is worth knowing that there are several files that get created when you run install scripts, to prevent spurious reinstallation:

1. .gsdevkitSysSetup
  2. .sharedMemorySysSetup
  3. .osPrereqsSysSetup

to rerun just the prereqs installation, remove $GS_HOME/bin/.osPrereqsSysSetup and $GS_HOME/bin/.gsdevkitSysSetup ... it's probably not necessary to return the shared memory set up...

Dale

Johan

On 30 Jun 2020, at 22:14, Dale Henrichs [hidden email] wrote:

I've been living with 18.04 for a while now and I pretty regularly update the software ... from the error I'd guess that for some reason the 32 bit xll client software got uninstalled?

Dale

Looking further…. ;)

Johan

On 29 Jun 2020, at 09:53, Johan Brichau [hidden email] wrote:

Hi,

Thx
Johan
-- 

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tode_st/55ed3e61-1fcb-abe1-a40d-b3b8cc0be1af%40gemtalksystems.com.

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tode_st/C3117F04-64A5-4E90-A805-B62C7FB1101E%40yesplan.be.