[tode_st] getting started...

Johan Brichau-3
Hi guys,

So, I am getting started with tODE and probably will be firing questions here ;-)

First off, I cannot seem to get any predefined tODE window layout to work. Selecting any of the menu options does not rearrange any of the windows I have got opened. Is this something I am the only one to experience? Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug?
In a (virgin) Pharo tode client (opened following GsDevKit install README), what I did was
> browse packages
-> click on a package, class list opens somewhere
-> click on a class, hierarchy opens somewhere
-> click on class there, more windows open (protocols, ...)
-> try to select any window layout but nothing happens

My impression is that having windows open all over the place makes it quite hard to get the hang of tODE when you first dive into it.
If the layout application works, I would feel more comfortable as a newcomer.

Next, I notice that class extensions are not shown when you browse a package. For example Grease-Gemstone300-Core contains only class extensions.
How can I browse them?

Johan

Re: [tode_st] getting started...

Johan Brichau-3
In the meantime I think I got to understand that the windows open in those places defined by the selected layout.
I guess I also got a bit confused about Categories and Packages windows. They open in overlapping windows and a selection in either of them influences the contents of the Classes window.

As the windows open on a 'by need' basis, I am left wondering what they are and if there are more than what I see ;)
Continuing the discovery...

Johan

On 24 Aug 2014, at 12:00, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> So, I am getting started with tODE and probably will be firing questions here ;-)
>
> First off, I cannot seem to get any predefined tODE window layout to work. Selecting any of the menu options does not rearrange any of the windows I have got opened. Is this something I am the only one to experience? Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug?
> In a (virgin) Pharo tode client (opened following GsDevKit install README), what I did was
>> browse packages
> -> click on a package, class list opens somewhere
> -> click on a class, hierarchy opens somewhere
> -> click on class there, more windows open (protocols, ...)
> -> try to select any window layout but nothing happens
>
> My impression is that having windows open all over the place makes it quite hard to get the hang of tODE when you first dive into it.
> If the layout application works, I would feel more comfortable as a newcomer.
>
> Next, I notice that class extensions are not shown when you browse a package. For example Grease-Gemstone300-Core contains only class extensions.
> How can I browse them?
>
> Johan

Re: [tode_st] getting started...

Dale Henrichs-3

On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 3:00 AM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys,

So, I am getting started with tODE and probably will be firing questions here ;-)

First off, I cannot seem to get any predefined tODE window layout to work. Selecting any of the menu options does not rearrange any of the windows I have got opened. Is this something I am the only one to experience? Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug?

You need to set the window layout before opening the console ... I suppose this classifies as a bug:)

In a (virgin) Pharo tode client (opened following GsDevKit install README), what I did was
> browse packages
-> click on a package, class list opens somewhere
-> click on a class, hierarchy opens somewhere
-> click on class there, more windows open (protocols, ...)
-> try to select any window layout but nothing happens

My impression is that having windows open all over the place makes it quite hard to get the hang of tODE when you first dive into it.
If the layout application works, I would feel more comfortable as a newcomer.

You have a good point that changing the layout should resize and redraw all of the windows ... the default layout with the default Pharo window size and the default Pharo font isn't the ideal size and setting ... a mono-space font should be used ... I'm glad that you ran into this because I could make things scale and redraw after resizing or after choosing a new layout ...

Next, I notice that class extensions are not shown when you browse a package. For example Grease-Gemstone300-Core contains only class extensions.
How can I browse them?

If you use the browse menu on a package directly you can see the extension methods along with the the classes ... but this option is a lot like the browse package option from the Monticello Browser in that you are not browsing the classes/methods in the image, but the ones from the particular version you have chosen ...

I assume that you want edit them live in the image? I have an idea how to do this and I'll push out a new version ASAP ... BTW, I'm taking today off as I have finally gottne hit by some jet lag and I'm walking around like a zombie:)

Keep the feedback coming:)

Dale

Re: [tode_st] getting started...

Dale Henrichs-3

On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 6:14 AM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
In the meantime I think I got to understand that the windows open in those places defined by the selected layout.
I guess I also got a bit confused about Categories and Packages windows. They open in overlapping windows and a selection in either of them influences the contents of the Classes window.

With the larger versions of the layouts, there is less need to have windows overlap...

As the windows open on a 'by need' basis, I am left wondering what they are and if there are more than what I see ;)
Continuing the discovery...

Haha, yes I do recall that there was a bit of time while I got used to the way the windows behave and It did take a bit of getting used to ... hopefully this won't be a gigantic barrier :)

Dale

Johan

On 24 Aug 2014, at 12:00, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> So, I am getting started with tODE and probably will be firing questions here ;-)
>
> First off, I cannot seem to get any predefined tODE window layout to work. Selecting any of the menu options does not rearrange any of the windows I have got opened. Is this something I am the only one to experience? Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug?
> In a (virgin) Pharo tode client (opened following GsDevKit install README), what I did was
>> browse packages
> -> click on a package, class list opens somewhere
> -> click on a class, hierarchy opens somewhere
> -> click on class there, more windows open (protocols, ...)
> -> try to select any window layout but nothing happens
>
> My impression is that having windows open all over the place makes it quite hard to get the hang of tODE when you first dive into it.
> If the layout application works, I would feel more comfortable as a newcomer.
>
> Next, I notice that class extensions are not shown when you browse a package. For example Grease-Gemstone300-Core contains only class extensions.
> How can I browse them?
>
> Johan

Re: [tode_st] getting started...

Dale Henrichs-3
BTW, I think it is real important to get this "first impression feedback" ... the good the bad and the ugly ...

... some of the bad and ugly softens with age and some does not...

I've been spoiled because the initial experience today is vastly different than my first experiences and of course I've grown used to what is today ... so getting first raw impressions is very good because I can certainly make changes ....

Dale

On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 6:14 AM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
In the meantime I think I got to understand that the windows open in those places defined by the selected layout.
I guess I also got a bit confused about Categories and Packages windows. They open in overlapping windows and a selection in either of them influences the contents of the Classes window.

As the windows open on a 'by need' basis, I am left wondering what they are and if there are more than what I see ;)
Continuing the discovery...

Johan

On 24 Aug 2014, at 12:00, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> So, I am getting started with tODE and probably will be firing questions here ;-)
>
> First off, I cannot seem to get any predefined tODE window layout to work. Selecting any of the menu options does not rearrange any of the windows I have got opened. Is this something I am the only one to experience? Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug?
> In a (virgin) Pharo tode client (opened following GsDevKit install README), what I did was
>> browse packages
> -> click on a package, class list opens somewhere
> -> click on a class, hierarchy opens somewhere
> -> click on class there, more windows open (protocols, ...)
> -> try to select any window layout but nothing happens
>
> My impression is that having windows open all over the place makes it quite hard to get the hang of tODE when you first dive into it.
> If the layout application works, I would feel more comfortable as a newcomer.
>
> Next, I notice that class extensions are not shown when you browse a package. For example Grease-Gemstone300-Core contains only class extensions.
> How can I browse them?
>
> Johan

Re: [tode_st] getting started...

Johan Brichau-3
Is it still possible to use GemTools to connect to a GsDevKit (tODE) stone?
I downloaded the GemTools for 3.2 and tried connecting to it but the netldi port seems to have changed and I’m a bit lost with all the scripts changing places.

Having gemtools around when we go from 2.4 to 3.2 seems like a good idea to me, at least until we learned the ropes with tODE.

Johan

On 25 Aug 2014, at 19:01, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

BTW, I think it is real important to get this "first impression feedback" ... the good the bad and the ugly ...

... some of the bad and ugly softens with age and some does not...

I've been spoiled because the initial experience today is vastly different than my first experiences and of course I've grown used to what is today ... so getting first raw impressions is very good because I can certainly make changes ....

Dale

On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 6:14 AM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
In the meantime I think I got to understand that the windows open in those places defined by the selected layout.
I guess I also got a bit confused about Categories and Packages windows. They open in overlapping windows and a selection in either of them influences the contents of the Classes window.

As the windows open on a 'by need' basis, I am left wondering what they are and if there are more than what I see ;)
Continuing the discovery...

Johan

On 24 Aug 2014, at 12:00, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> So, I am getting started with tODE and probably will be firing questions here ;-)
>
> First off, I cannot seem to get any predefined tODE window layout to work. Selecting any of the menu options does not rearrange any of the windows I have got opened. Is this something I am the only one to experience? Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug?
> In a (virgin) Pharo tode client (opened following GsDevKit install README), what I did was
>> browse packages
> -> click on a package, class list opens somewhere
> -> click on a class, hierarchy opens somewhere
> -> click on class there, more windows open (protocols, ...)
> -> try to select any window layout but nothing happens
>
> My impression is that having windows open all over the place makes it quite hard to get the hang of tODE when you first dive into it.
> If the layout application works, I would feel more comfortable as a newcomer.
>
> Next, I notice that class extensions are not shown when you browse a package. For example Grease-Gemstone300-Core contains only class extensions.
> How can I browse them?
>
> Johan

Re: [tode_st] getting started...

Dale Henrichs-3
Yes GemTools should work fine ... the $GS_HOME/bin/stones command should list the netld ports... you can also look at the $GS_HOME/tode/client/desctiptions/<stone_name> file to see the netldi port used by tode ... you should be using the same netldi port ...

Dale

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 2:13 AM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> If the layout application works, I would feel more comfortable as a newcomer.
>
> Next, I notice that class extensions are not shown when you browse a package. For example Grease-Gemstone300-Core contains only class extensions.
> How can I browse them?
>
> Johan

Re: [tode_st] getting started...

Dale Henrichs-3

On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 3:00 AM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys,

So, I am getting started with tODE and probably will be firing questions here ;-)

First off, I cannot seem to get any predefined tODE window layout to work. Selecting any of the menu options does not rearrange any of the windows I have got opened. Is this something I am the only one to experience? Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug?
Reported as a bug[1] against tODE  and I just fixed it ... I've made some other changes on the dev branch that I have to beat on a bit, so keep an eye out for the next master merge message

In a (virgin) Pharo tode client (opened following GsDevKit install README), what I did was
> browse packages
-> click on a package, class list opens somewhere
-> click on a class, hierarchy opens somewhere
-> click on class there, more windows open (protocols, ...)
-> try to select any window layout but nothing happens

My impression is that having windows open all over the place makes it quite hard to get the hang of tODE when you first dive into it.
If the layout application works, I would feel more comfortable as a newcomer.

Next, I notice that class extensions are not shown when you browse a package. For example Grease-Gemstone300-Core contains only class extensions.
How can I browse them?

Johan

Re: [tode_st] getting started...

Dale Henrichs-3

On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 3:00 AM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

Next, I notice that class extensions are not shown when you browse a package. For example Grease-Gemstone300-Core contains only class extensions.
How can I browse them?

Which command did you use to browse the package?

Dale

Re: [tode_st] getting started...

Johan Brichau-3

On 26 Aug 2014, at 15:35, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 3:00 AM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

Next, I notice that class extensions are not shown when you browse a package. For example Grease-Gemstone300-Core contains only class extensions.
How can I browse them?

Which command did you use to browse the package?

I used “browse packages” and then select the Grease-GemStone300-Core package from the list.

But I now just realize that one could not browse packages before (in gemtools) and it was browsing categories all along.
So, I could not see the Grease-GemStone300-Core package that way and only via monticello (as you describe).

However, it would be nice if the list of classes would include the classes on which a class extension is defined (not in bold perhaps).

Johan