[tode_st] out of memory error while running tests, possible to pause for a scavenge?

[tode_st] out of memory error while running tests, possible to pause for a scavenge?

Paul DeBruicker
Hi Dale,

IIs there a way to pause the test runnner in Tode to allow  a scavenge while testing a package?

When I run my test classes individually everything works fine.

When I test the whole package I get logged out. The error in tode is

GciSessinNotLoggedInError: Sesson no longer logged in.

and in the gemnetobject log it shows:

VM temporary object memory is full
, almost out of memory, too many markSweeps since last successful scavenge

I've bumped the GEM_TEMPOBJ_CACHE_SIZE up to 756MB, and I could keep going I guess but it still runs out of memory.  That makes me think there is a better way.

Thanks

Paul

Re: [tode_st] out of memory error while running tests, possible to pause for a scavenge?

Paul DeBruicker
Paul DeBruicker wrote

I've bumped the GEM_TEMPOBJ_CACHE_SIZE up to 756MB, and I could keep going I guess but it still runs out of memory.  That makes me think there is a better way.

Oh no I didn't.  The gem startup script still reports

GEM_TEMPOBJ_CACHE_SIZE = 50000KB;

oh.  I was editing the system.conf file by the extent.   Gotta edit the gem.conf file......

Re: [tode_st] out of memory error while running tests, possible to pause for a scavenge?

Dale Henrichs-3
It depends upon why you are running out of memory ...

The error that you are getting implies that you are running out of temp
obj space while running your tests ...

To figure out what might be going on, you can run the following command
before starting your tests:

   gs halt --almostOutOfMemory=75

and the system will halt when you've consumed 75% of temp obj space ..

You can dump a report to the gem log using System
class>>_vmPrintInstanceCounts: ...

And if it isn't obvious to you what's going on we can try to figure out
what might be going on ...

Dale

On 03/09/2016 12:56 PM, PAUL DEBRUICKER wrote:

> Hi Dale,
>
> IIs there a way to pause the test runnner in Tode to allow  a scavenge while testing a package?
>
> When I run my test classes individually everything works fine.
>
> When I test the whole package I get logged out. The error in tode is
>

> GciSessinNotLoggedInError: Sesson no longer logged in.
>

> and in the gemnetobject log it shows:
>

> VM temporary object memory is full
> , almost out of memory, too many markSweeps since last successful scavenge
>

> I've bumped the GEM_TEMPOBJ_CACHE_SIZE up to 756MB, and I could keep going I guess but it still runs out of memory.  That makes me think there is a better way.
>

> Thanks
>
> Paul

Re: [tode_st] out of memory error while running tests, possible to pause for a scavenge?

Dale Henrichs-3
tODE keeps a number of things in session temps so it could be the
culprit --- it is monitoriing the tests as they run and it holds onto
failing tests, but we'll have to catch it red-handed ...

In GemTools there was a lot of activity between the TestRunner window
and the server and it was common for TestRunner to run into memory
issues just because of the nubmer of objects being passed over the wire
.... but tODE doesn't send much data over the wire anymore and I haven't
seen an out-of-memory condition specifically caused by tODE ... of
course there's always the first time ...

Dale

On 03/09/2016 12:56 PM, PAUL DEBRUICKER wrote:

> Hi Dale,
>
> IIs there a way to pause the test runnner in Tode to allow  a scavenge while testing a package?
>
> When I run my test classes individually everything works fine.
>
> When I test the whole package I get logged out. The error in tode is
>

> GciSessinNotLoggedInError: Sesson no longer logged in.
>

> and in the gemnetobject log it shows:
>

> VM temporary object memory is full
> , almost out of memory, too many markSweeps since last successful scavenge
>

> I've bumped the GEM_TEMPOBJ_CACHE_SIZE up to 756MB, and I could keep going I guess but it still runs out of memory.  That makes me think there is a better way.
>

> Thanks
>
> Paul

Re: [tode_st] out of memory error while running tests, possible to pause for a scavenge?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Dale, wouldn't the

 export GS_DEBUG_VMGC_VERBOSE_OUTOFMEM=1

Also be helpful here?

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 9:16 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yes! For the actual running out of memory part ...

Given that Paul is seeing a reproducible test case and the dev environment is active, catching the almost out of memory with the debugger is superior I think ...

Dale