'too many markSweeps since last successful' error

'too many markSweeps since last successful' error

SeanTAllen
beta6. gemstone 2.4

just got this error in the logs. what should be the take away from this?

GemStone: Error         Fatal
VM temporary object memory is full
, almost out of memory, too many markSweeps since last successful
scavenge
Error Category: 231169 [GemStone] Number: 4067 Arg Count: 1 Context : 20
Arg 1: 20

Re: 'too many markSweeps since last successful' error

James Foster
On Apr 29, 2010, at 9:16 AM, Sean Allen wrote:

> beta6. gemstone 2.4
>
> just got this error in the logs. what should be the take away from this?

Increase the gem's temporary object space, commit more frequently, modify fewer objects, ...

> GemStone: Error         Fatal
> VM temporary object memory is full
> , almost out of memory, too many markSweeps since last successful
> scavenge
> Error Category: 231169 [GemStone] Number: 4067 Arg Count: 1 Context : 20
> Arg 1: 20

Re: 'too many markSweeps since last successful' error

SeanTAllen
as this is just running seaside apps, how would one commit more frequently?

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 12:23 PM, James Foster
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Apr 29, 2010, at 9:16 AM, Sean Allen wrote:
>
>> beta6. gemstone 2.4
>>
>> just got this error in the logs. what should be the take away from this?
>
> Increase the gem's temporary object space, commit more frequently, modify fewer objects, ...
>
>> GemStone: Error         Fatal
>> VM temporary object memory is full
>> , almost out of memory, too many markSweeps since last successful
>> scavenge
>> Error Category: 231169 [GemStone] Number: 4067 Arg Count: 1 Context : 20
>> Arg 1: 20

Re: 'too many markSweeps since last successful' error

James Foster
That probably isn't a realistic option if the error occurs during the processing of a single web page.

On Apr 29, 2010, at 9:25 AM, Sean Allen wrote:

> as this is just running seaside apps, how would one commit more frequently?
>
> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 12:23 PM, James Foster
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Apr 29, 2010, at 9:16 AM, Sean Allen wrote:
>>
>>> beta6. gemstone 2.4
>>>
>>> just got this error in the logs. what should be the take away from this?
>>
>> Increase the gem's temporary object space, commit more frequently, modify fewer objects, ...
>>
>>> GemStone: Error         Fatal
>>> VM temporary object memory is full
>>> , almost out of memory, too many markSweeps since last successful
>>> scavenge
>>> Error Category: 231169 [GemStone] Number: 4067 Arg Count: 1 Context : 20
>>> Arg 1: 20

Re: 'too many markSweeps since last successful' error

SeanTAllen
thanks james.

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 12:31 PM, James Foster
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> That probably isn't a realistic option if the error occurs during the processing of a single web page.
>
> On Apr 29, 2010, at 9:25 AM, Sean Allen wrote:
>
>> as this is just running seaside apps, how would one commit more frequently?
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 12:23 PM, James Foster
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Increase the gem's temporary object space, commit more frequently, modify fewer objects, ...

Re: 'too many markSweeps since last successful' error

Dale
Sean,

The out of memory condition will occur due to one of these two reasons:

  - accumulation of temporary data
  - request processing requires more memory than available

To determine which of these conditions you are hitting take a look at the log and you will likely see a series of smalltalk stack traces mentioning that you are almost out of memory.

There is also a table of all class/instance count/bytes consumed in the different temporary memory regions.

Take a look at the stack that caused the error and try to determine if the operation being performed should really consume a whole lot of memory .... you can cross reference with the table to look at the classes that have the most instances and see if it is likely that the operation running would be creating them ... if the instances are more likely representative of objects that are created a few at a time over time and just might be explicitly cached somewhere (in SessionTemps for example) then you just might be accumulating lots of temporary data on your own...

If the data looks an awful lot like Seaside objects then there might be "memory leak" in Seaside30 that I'd need to characterize ...

Dale
----- "Sean Allen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| as this is just running seaside apps, how would one commit more
| frequently?
|
| On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 12:23 PM, James Foster
| <[hidden email]> wrote:
| > On Apr 29, 2010, at 9:16 AM, Sean Allen wrote:
| >
| >> beta6. gemstone 2.4
| >>
| >> just got this error in the logs. what should be the take away from
| this?
| >
| > Increase the gem's temporary object space, commit more frequently,
| modify fewer objects, ...
| >
| >> GemStone: Error         Fatal
| >> VM temporary object memory is full
| >> , almost out of memory, too many markSweeps since last successful
| >> scavenge
| >> Error Category: 231169 [GemStone] Number: 4067 Arg Count: 1 Context
| : 20
| >> Arg 1: 20

Re: 'too many markSweeps since last successful' error

SeanTAllen
I'll take a look tomorrow and see what is there. I saw all the info
but it didn't mean much to me at the time.
It means a lot more know. Thanks for the info.

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 5:23 PM, Dale Henrichs
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sean,
>
> The out of memory condition will occur due to one of these two reasons:
>
>  - accumulation of temporary data
>  - request processing requires more memory than available
>
> To determine which of these conditions you are hitting take a look at the log and you will likely see a series of smalltalk stack traces mentioning that you are almost out of memory.
>
> There is also a table of all class/instance count/bytes consumed in the different temporary memory regions.
>
> Take a look at the stack that caused the error and try to determine if the operation being performed should really consume a whole lot of memory .... you can cross reference with the table to look at the classes that have the most instances and see if it is likely that the operation running would be creating them ... if the instances are more likely representative of objects that are created a few at a time over time and just might be explicitly cached somewhere (in SessionTemps for example) then you just might be accumulating lots of temporary data on your own...
>
> If the data looks an awful lot like Seaside objects then there might be "memory leak" in Seaside30 that I'd need to characterize ...
>
> Dale
> ----- "Sean Allen" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> | as this is just running seaside apps, how would one commit more
> | frequently?
> |
> | On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 12:23 PM, James Foster
> | <[hidden email]> wrote:

> | this?
> | >
> | > Increase the gem's temporary object space, commit more frequently,
> | modify fewer objects, ...

> | : 20

Re: 'too many markSweeps since last successful' error

Dale
If you want, I can try to take a look at the log file and see if anything jumps out at me...like I said, this _could_ end being a Seaside 3.0 leak...

Dale
----- "Sean Allen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| I'll take a look tomorrow and see what is there. I saw all the info
| but it didn't mean much to me at the time.
| It means a lot more know. Thanks for the info.
|
| On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 5:23 PM, Dale Henrichs
| <[hidden email]> wrote:
| > Sean,
| >
| > The out of memory condition will occur due to one of these two
| reasons:
| >
| >  - accumulation of temporary data
| >  - request processing requires more memory than available
| >
| > To determine which of these conditions you are hitting take a look
| at the log and you will likely see a series of smalltalk stack traces
| mentioning that you are almost out of memory.
| >
| > There is also a table of all class/instance count/bytes consumed in
| the different temporary memory regions.
| >
| > Take a look at the stack that caused the error and try to determine
| if the operation being performed should really consume a whole lot of
| memory .... you can cross reference with the table to look at the
| classes that have the most instances and see if it is likely that the
| operation running would be creating them ... if the instances are more
| likely representative of objects that are created a few at a time over
| time and just might be explicitly cached somewhere (in SessionTemps
| for example) then you just might be accumulating lots of temporary
| data on your own...
| >
| > If the data looks an awful lot like Seaside objects then there might
| be "memory leak" in Seaside30 that I'd need to characterize ...
| >
| > Dale
| > ----- "Sean Allen" <[hidden email]> wrote:
| >
| > | as this is just running seaside apps, how would one commit more
| > | frequently?
| > |