topaz command line argument for documentation purposes ...

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

topaz command line argument for documentation purposes ...

GLASS mailing list

Hey,

I might have a very special wish. Would it be possible to add a command line argument to topaz which does nothing, but for documentation purposes.

I like to start topaz from scripts and therefore have multiple topaz scripts running and it seems to be difficult to see from a process viewer what the topaz script is actually doing.

So something like

topaz --info="HTTP-Server"

topaz --info="HouseKeeper Task"

topaz --info="Publication Task"

So that a "ps axf" also shows you the parameter and one can identify the corresponding task very easily.

Marten

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: topaz command line argument for documentation purposes ...

GLASS mailing list
Marten,

I've submitted an internal feature request (bug 45684).

Dale

On 09/15/2015 01:46 PM, Marten Feldtmann via Glass wrote:

>
> I might have a very special wish. Would it be possible to add a
> command line argument to topaz which does nothing, but for
> documentation purposes.
>
>
> I like to start topaz from scripts and therefore have multiple topaz
> scripts running and it seems to be difficult to see from a process
> viewer what the topaz script is actually doing.
>
>
>
> So something like
>
>
> topaz --info="HTTP-Server"
>
>
> topaz --info="HouseKeeper Task"
>
>
> topaz --info="Publication Task"
>
>
> So that a "ps axf" also shows you the parameter and one can identify
> the corresponding task very easily.
>

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list
While we are in the topic, I also always wanted to be able to see what I set via "System _cacheName:"  and get via "indexOf: 'ProcessName'" in  the "ps -fea | grep gem"   :) 
But I can imagine this is harder since I can set the cacheName: AFTER  started the process and this is at Smalltalk land...

But still,  I may be able to send such name to topaz itself (besides setting it _cacheName:) and would be using same request as said by Marten :)

Cheers,

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 6:15 PM, Dale Henrichs via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
Marten,

Dale

I might have a very special wish. Would it be possible to add a command line argument to topaz which does nothing, but for documentation purposes.

I like to start topaz from scripts and therefore have multiple topaz scripts running and it seems to be difficult to see from a process viewer what the topaz script is actually doing.

So something like

So that a "ps axf" also shows you the parameter and one can identify the corresponding task very easily.

--

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list
Hey guys, apparently there already is such an option `-u`. The purpose of `-u` is to do exactly what you are requesting ... Not sure when it was introduced (obviously I didn't know it _had_ been introduced) but it is present in 3.1.0.6 and later for sure...

Dale

On 09/15/2015 02:42 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
While we are in the topic, I also always wanted to be able to see what I set via "System _cacheName:"  and get via "indexOf: 'ProcessName'" in  the "ps -fea | grep gem"   :) 
But I can imagine this is harder since I can set the cacheName: AFTER  started the process and this is at Smalltalk land...

But still,  I may be able to send such name to topaz itself (besides setting it _cacheName:) and would be using same request as said by Marten :)

Cheers,

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 6:15 PM, Dale Henrichs via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
Marten,

Dale

So something like

--

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list
In reply to this post by GLASS mailing list
Thanks - thats what I was looking for and as I noticed now: its documented in the topaz docs.

MF

Von Samsung Mobile gesendet

-------- Ursprüngliche Nachricht --------
Von: Dale Henrichs via Glass
Datum:16.09.2015 00:19 (GMT+01:00)
An: Mariano Martinez Peck
Betreff: Re: [Glass] topaz command line argument for documentation purposes ...

Hey guys, apparently there already is such an option `-u`. The purpose of `-u` is to do exactly what you are requesting ... Not sure when it was introduced (obviously I didn't know it _had_ been introduced) but it is present in 3.1.0.6 and later for sure...

Dale

Cheers,

Marten,

Dale

So something like

--

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list

Dale, 

For the record, I modified startSeaside30_Adaptor to add such an info:

cat << EOF | nohup $GEMSTONE/bin/topaz -u "Seaside" -l -q -e $4 -I $APPLICATION_DIR/.topazini 2>&1 >> $APPLICATION_LOG_DIR/${1}_server-${2}.log &

And the startMaintenance30:

cat << EOF | nohup $GEMSTONE/bin/topaz -u "MaintenanceVM" -l -q -e $GEMSTONE/seaside/etc/maintenance30.conf -I $APPLICATION_DIR/.topazini 2>&1 > $APPLICATION_LOG_DIR/maintenance_gem.log &

And I did something similar for my background process gems...

You may want to add this by default (since you already took the session name one...)

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 4:33 AM, Marten Feldtmanm <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks - thats what I was looking for and as I noticed now: its documented in the topaz docs.

MF

Von Samsung Mobile gesendet

-------- Ursprüngliche Nachricht --------
Von: Dale Henrichs via Glass
Datum:16.09.2015 00:19 (GMT+01:00)
An: Mariano Martinez Peck
Betreff: Re: [Glass] topaz command line argument for documentation purposes ...

Dale

Cheers,

Marten,

Dale

So something like

--

--

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list
internal bug 45693 should show up in 3.3 ....

Thanks,

Dale

On 09/17/2015 01:28 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

cat << EOF | nohup $GEMSTONE/bin/topaz -u "Seaside" -l -q -e $4 -I $APPLICATION_DIR/.topazini 2>&1 >> $APPLICATION_LOG_DIR/${1}_server-${2}.log &

cat << EOF | nohup $GEMSTONE/bin/topaz -u "MaintenanceVM" -l -q -e $GEMSTONE/seaside/etc/maintenance30.conf -I $APPLICATION_DIR/.topazini 2>&1 > $APPLICATION_LOG_DIR/maintenance_gem.log &

You may want to add this by default (since you already took the session name one...)

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 5:44 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
internal bug 45693 should show up in 3.3 ....

Actually, for Seaside gems we can do better since we can also print the type adaptor (FastCGI) and the ports!

cat << EOF | nohup $GEMSTONE/bin/topaz -u "Seaside-$1-$2" -l -q -e $4 -I $APPLICATION_DIR/.topazini 2>&1 >> $APPLICATION_LOG_DIR/${1}_server-${2}.log &

Cheers, 

Thanks,

Dale

On 09/17/2015 01:28 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

--