classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

touch screen surprise

Harness, Kathleen
Hi,
Yesterday the ed team talked about what gesture would be needed for making the halo show.

Last in a conference poster session, a beginner held his finger down on a large touch screen monitor, very still and the object showed a shadowy square around his finger tip and then the Halo of Handles appeared, ready to use. The same thing happens on my Asus laptop Windows 8 touch screen.

Now the problem is how to prevent them from showing is a finished project. I didn't see a Preference that would prevent the Halos from showing. And, I don't know if that would be a good idea since one of the things I talk about with students is that they can find out how something is done by opening a halo and then the scripts. Anyway, one problem solved.

If you want, I can screen share in a Google hangout.
Regards,
Kathleen

halo.png (37K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: touch screen surprise

Bert Freudenberg

On 2013-03-01, at 14:51, "Harness, Kathleen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> Yesterday the ed team talked about what gesture would be needed for making the halo show.
>
> Last in a conference poster session, a beginner held his finger down on a large touch screen monitor, very still and the object showed a shadowy square around his finger tip and then the Halo of Handles appeared, ready to use. The same thing happens on my Asus laptop Windows 8 touch screen.

The OS interprets "long click" as "right click".

> Now the problem is how to prevent them from showing is a finished project. I didn't see a Preference that would prevent the Halos from showing. And, I don't know if that would be a good idea since one of the things I talk about with students is that they can find out how something is done by opening a halo and then the scripts. Anyway, one problem solved.

Not a good idea along the "authoring is always on" line of thinking ...

- Bert -

Reply | Threaded
|

Harness, Kathleen
Bert,
I agree, "authoring is always on" is one of the important features of Etoys.
Does the new iPad OS also interpret "long click" this way?
Kathleen
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2013 9:50 AM
To: Harness, Kathleen
Cc: [hidden email] dev
Subject: Re: [etoys-dev] touch screen surprise

On 2013-03-01, at 14:51, "Harness, Kathleen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> Yesterday the ed team talked about what gesture would be needed for making the halo show.
>
> Last in a conference poster session, a beginner held his finger down on a large touch screen monitor, very still and the object showed a shadowy square around his finger tip and then the Halo of Handles appeared, ready to use. The same thing happens on my Asus laptop Windows 8 touch screen.

The OS interprets "long click" as "right click".

> Now the problem is how to prevent them from showing is a finished project. I didn't see a Preference that would prevent the Halos from showing. And, I don't know if that would be a good idea since one of the things I talk about with students is that they can find out how something is done by opening a halo and then the scripts. Anyway, one problem solved.

Not a good idea along the "authoring is always on" line of thinking ...

- Bert -

Reply | Threaded
|

Bert Freudenberg
On 01.03.2013, at 19:13, "Harness, Kathleen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bert,
> I agree, "authoring is always on" is one of the important features of Etoys.
> Does the new iPad OS also interpret "long click" this way?
> Kathleen

No, because there is no concept of "right click" in iOS, it was designed for touch, not mouse interaction.

However, a long-click might be an idea for bringing up the halo in Etoys, indeed.

- Bert -

> ________________________________________
> From: Bert Freudenberg [[hidden email]]
> Sent: Friday, March 01, 2013 9:50 AM
> To: Harness, Kathleen
> Cc: [hidden email] dev
> Subject: Re: [etoys-dev] touch screen surprise
>
> On 2013-03-01, at 14:51, "Harness, Kathleen" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Yesterday the ed team talked about what gesture would be needed for making the halo show.
>>
>> Last in a conference poster session, a beginner held his finger down on a large touch screen monitor, very still and the object showed a shadowy square around his finger tip and then the Halo of Handles appeared, ready to use. The same thing happens on my Asus laptop Windows 8 touch screen.
>
> The OS interprets "long click" as "right click".
>
>> Now the problem is how to prevent them from showing is a finished project. I didn't see a Preference that would prevent the Halos from showing. And, I don't know if that would be a good idea since one of the things I talk about with students is that they can find out how something is done by opening a halo and then the scripts. Anyway, one problem solved.
>
> Not a good idea along the "authoring is always on" line of thinking ...
>
> - Bert -
>
>