triggering jenkins when committing to smalltalkhub

triggering jenkins when committing to smalltalkhub

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Is there a way to get Jenkins trigger a build when we commit something to SmalltalkHub?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"We can create beautiful models in a vacuum.
But, to get them effective we have to deal with the inconvenience of reality."

Re: triggering jenkins when committing to smalltalkhub

Camillo Bruni-3
nope there isn't :/
We use active polling on the mcz list, cranking it up to every minute gives an almost accurate approximation of a trigger hook :P

On 2013-03-14, at 21:25, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to get Jenkins trigger a build when we commit something to SmalltalkHub?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "We can create beautiful models in a vacuum.
> But, to get them effective we have to deal with the inconvenience of reality."

Re: triggering jenkins when committing to smalltalkhub

Igor Stasenko
On 14 March 2013 21:25, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to get Jenkins trigger a build when we commit something to SmalltalkHub?

yes.
https://www.google.fr/search?q=jenkins+url+trigger

> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "We can create beautiful models in a vacuum.
> But, to get them effective we have to deal with the inconvenience of reality."

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: triggering jenkins when committing to smalltalkhub

Frank Shearar-3
On 14 March 2013 20:34, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> nope there isn't :/
> We use active polling on the mcz list, cranking it up to every minute gives an almost accurate approximation of a trigger hook :P

Webhooks as a feature request for SmalltalkHub? Then you could use
https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/GitHub+Plugin which works
rather well.

frank

> On 2013-03-14, at 21:25, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a way to get Jenkins trigger a build when we commit something to SmalltalkHub?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "We can create beautiful models in a vacuum.
>> But, to get them effective we have to deal with the inconvenience of reality."

Re: triggering jenkins when committing to smalltalkhub

Tudor Girba-2

I was actually missing the way to access the mcz files. I found it in the obvious location, but still I think it would be good to have an explicit link from SmalltalkHub. For example, for Moose it is here:
http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Moose/Moose/main

Ok, I tried now by installing the URLTrigger, but it seems that the mcz url is not refreshed.

For example, I committed Moose-Finder-TudorGirba.429.mcz, but it does not (yet) appear in the above mentioned url. Anybody knows what the expected delay is?

Cheers,
Doru

On Mar 14, 2013, at 9:34 PM, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> nope there isn't :/
> We use active polling on the mcz list, cranking it up to every minute gives an almost accurate approximation of a trigger hook :P
>

> On 2013-03-14, at 21:25, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a way to get Jenkins trigger a build when we commit something to SmalltalkHub?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "We can create beautiful models in a vacuum.
>> But, to get them effective we have to deal with the inconvenience of reality."

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

monticello confusion [was: triggering jenkins when committing to smalltalkhub]

Tudor Girba-2
Hmm, the problem had nothing to do with the SmalltalkHub refresh, but a confusing behavior in the Monticello browser.

Here is what happened:
- I made a modification
- I committed, but because I forgot to add my credentials, it failed to commit on STHub
- Without closing the debugger, I added my credentials to the repository, and press progress on the debugger, and everything seemed fine
- I then browsed the STHub repository via the Monticello browser, and the package appeared as being committed, although it was not
- When I browsed the repository on STHub, it showed that the new version was actually not published
- I then copied the mcz from the local package-cache to the STHub repository, and everything went fine (including the trigger of the jenkins plugin)

The confusion came out of two things:
- when progressing in the debugger, I got no complain and I thought the commit went fine after setting the credentials. In Pharo 1.4, the behavior was that a new debugger would pop-up and only work if I would rewind a bit the stack to the point of credential checking.
- but, even more confusing was that when I browsed the remote repository it showed me that the version was committed. I think this is a bug.

Cheers,
Doru

On Mar 15, 2013, at 7:39 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was actually missing the way to access the mcz files. I found it in the obvious location, but still I think it would be good to have an explicit link from SmalltalkHub. For example, for Moose it is here:
> http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Moose/Moose/main
>
> Ok, I tried now by installing the URLTrigger, but it seems that the mcz url is not refreshed.
>
> For example, I committed Moose-Finder-TudorGirba.429.mcz, but it does not (yet) appear in the above mentioned url. Anybody knows what the expected delay is?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On Mar 14, 2013, at 9:34 PM, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> nope there isn't :/
>> We use active polling on the mcz list, cranking it up to every minute gives an almost accurate approximation of a trigger hook :P
>>

>> On 2013-03-14, at 21:25, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is there a way to get Jenkins trigger a build when we commit something to SmalltalkHub?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru
>>>
>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "We can create beautiful models in a vacuum.
>>> But, to get them effective we have to deal with the inconvenience of reality."
>>>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Every now and then stop and ask yourself if the war you're fighting is the right one."

On 2013-03-15, at 07:39, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was actually missing the way to access the mcz files. I found it in the obvious location, but still I think it would be good to have an explicit link from SmalltalkHub. For example, for Moose it is here:
> http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Moose/Moose/main
>
> Ok, I tried now by installing the URLTrigger, but it seems that the mcz url is not refreshed.
>
> For example, I committed Moose-Finder-TudorGirba.429.mcz, but it does not (yet) appear in the above mentioned url. Anybody knows what the expected delay is?

that happens immediately (I guess that is related to the other bug you described?)

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On Mar 14, 2013, at 9:34 PM, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> nope there isn't :/
>> We use active polling on the mcz list, cranking it up to every minute gives an almost accurate approximation of a trigger hook :P
>>

>> On 2013-03-14, at 21:25, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is there a way to get Jenkins trigger a build when we commit something to SmalltalkHub?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru
>>>
>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "We can create beautiful models in a vacuum.
>>> But, to get them effective we have to deal with the inconvenience of reality."
>>>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

Re: triggering jenkins when committing to smalltalkhub

Tudor Girba-2
Yes, it is.

Cheers,
Doru

On 2013-03-15, at 07:39, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was actually missing the way to access the mcz files. I found it in the obvious location, but still I think it would be good to have an explicit link from SmalltalkHub. For example, for Moose it is here:
> http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Moose/Moose/main
>
> Ok, I tried now by installing the URLTrigger, but it seems that the mcz url is not refreshed.
>
> For example, I committed Moose-Finder-TudorGirba.429.mcz, but it does not (yet) appear in the above mentioned url. Anybody knows what the expected delay is?

that happens immediately (I guess that is related to the other bug you described?)

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On Mar 14, 2013, at 9:34 PM, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> nope there isn't :/
>> We use active polling on the mcz list, cranking it up to every minute gives an almost accurate approximation of a trigger hook :P
>>

>> On 2013-03-14, at 21:25, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is there a way to get Jenkins trigger a build when we commit something to SmalltalkHub?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru
>>>
>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "We can create beautiful models in a vacuum.
>>> But, to get them effective we have to deal with the inconvenience of reality."
>>>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Not knowing how to do something is not an argument for how it cannot be done."

--

"Every thing has its own flow"