trying the eclipse plugin

Lee Breisacher-2
Stefan,

I tried to load the eclipse plugin projects into my eclipse, following the instructions here: https://github.com/StefanKrecher/eclipse-redline-plugin/wiki/Building-the-plugin. I installed xtext and EMF, and PDE is already in my workspace.

Then I used git to clone the repos.

Then I used eclipse File/Import...ExistingProjectIntoWorkspace and imported both st.redline.plugin and st.redline.plugin.ui.

That resulted in several errors, such as:

A value of type 'st.redline.SmalltalkStandaloneSetup' can not be assigned to the feature org.eclipse.xtext.generator.GeneratorComponent.setRegister(org.eclipse.xtext.ISetup)    SmalltalkGeneratorMWE.mwe2    /st.redline.plugin/src/st/redline/generator    line: 26 /st.redline.plugin/src/st/redline/generator/SmalltalkGeneratorMWE.mwe2    Xtext Check (fast)

Package 'st.redline.parser.antlr.internal' does not exist in this plug-in    MANIFEST.MF    /st.redline.plugin/META-INF    line 40    Plug-in Problem

Project 'st.redline.plugin' is missing required source folder: 'src-gen'    st.redline.plugin        Build path    Build Path Problem

Ah, that last one is the main problem -- the plugin projects do not come with the src-gen folder already. So I created an empty src-gen folder in both projects, then I ran GenerateSmalltalk.mwe2. These two errors appeared in the Console during the generate:

error(208): ../st.redline.plugin/src-gen/st/redline/parser/antlr/internal/InternalSmalltalk.g:974:1: The following token definitions can never be matched because prior tokens match the same input: RULE_METHODNAME,RULE_INT
error(208): ../st.redline.plugin.ui/src-gen/st/redline/ui/contentassist/antlr/internal/InternalSmalltalk.g:2390:1: The following token definitions can never be matched because prior tokens match the same input: RULE_METHODNAME,RULE_INT

A refresh removed the remaining compile errors.

Next I launched the plugin project, opened a Smalltalk project and tried to view a .st file. This error showed up in the plugin workspace:

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

So then I restarted with -XX:MaxPermSize=256M and that seemed to fix that.

I was able to open .st files, but most of them report this error:

missing EOF at '-'    ArrayedCollection.st    /redline/src/main/smalltalk/st/redline    line: 4 /redline/src/main/smalltalk/st/redline/ArrayedCollection.st    Xtext Check (fast)

I wonder if that error is related to the fact that I'm running on Windows which (presumably) has different line-ending characters from linux? Are you running in linux? Any ideas how to fix that?

Sorry, I don't mean to sound complaining -- just trying things out and reporting what I find. Thanks!

Lee

Re: trying the eclipse plugin

Stefan Krecher
Thx for trying out the plugin!

you resolved the error regarding the missing src-gen-folder and the problem with PermGen space - this should get mentioned on the Wiki-Page - would you like to adapt the page?
The Xtext Grammar Definition is still a big construction site - the RULE_METHODNAME error and "missing EOF at '-'    ArrayedCollection.st" are grammer-problems, I'm working on this currently.
If anyone is interested in diving into xtext - this would be a big help!

btw, i just uploaded the latest version of the plugin as a deployable feature: https://github.com/StefanKrecher/eclipse-redline-plugin/downloads
... and i pushed the latest changes (made a pull-req to redline so the changes will apear there too),

regards,
Stefan

regards,
Stefan

Re: trying the eclipse plugin

Stefan Krecher-3
Sorry for answering so late ... i'll promise to spend some time on the
redline-plugin within the next few weeks.
I'm planning some major improvements. I will see if i can upload it to
the marketplace.

regards,
Stefan