trying to get nodejs examples to run

Steve Beisner
I've tried both examples/nodejs/hello and examples/nodejs/pystone.
Should these work in the current version (cloned from github)?
In both cases. during the "make" step I get a traceback that includes this:
Compiler loaded
Compiling collected .st files
Importing: Pystone.st

undefined:761
    this.setup(this);
         ^
TypeError: Property 'setup' of object #<SmalltalkMethodContext> is not a function
It seems to be complaining that "setup" is not a method of SmalltalkMethodContext.
When I look at the definition of SmalltalkMethodContext in boot.js, sure enough,
I see no definition of setup to match the call on line 761 of boot.js.

I'm using version v0.8.18 of nodejs, if that make any difference.

Can someone explain?

Re: trying to get nodejs examples to run

Herby Vojčík
The internal compiler toolchain has changed a few days ago and these
examples are not yet recompiled. Try to run make in its directory, it
may help.

Herby

Steve Beisner wrote:

> I've tried both *examples/nodejs/hello* and *examples/nodejs/pystone*.
> Should these work in the current version (cloned from github)?
> In both cases. during the "make" step I get a traceback that includes this:
> Compiler loaded
> Compiling collected .st files
> Importing: Pystone.st
>
> undefined:761
> this.setup(this);
> ^
> TypeError: Property 'setup' of object #<SmalltalkMethodContext> is not a
> function
> It seems to be complaining that "setup" is not a method of
> SmalltalkMethodContext.
> When I look at the definition of SmalltalkMethodContext in boot.js, sure
> enough,
> I see no definition of setup to match the call on line 761 of boot.js.
>
> I'm using version v0.8.18 of nodejs, if that make any difference.
>
> Can someone explain?

Re: trying to get nodejs examples to run

Steve Beisner
I've tried running make in the top level amber directory,
in the examples directory, and in the examples/nodejs/hello
directory, but in all case get errors;
The compile complains of no definitiion of
"setup" for class SmalltalkMethodContext.

I also tried the tree for the zip file download version with
the same results as for the github "git clone ..." version.

Steve Beisner wrote:

> I've tried both *examples/nodejs/hello* and *examples/nodejs/pystone*.
> Should these work in the current version (cloned from github)?
> In both cases. during the "make" step I get a traceback that includes this:
> Compiler loaded
> Compiling collected .st files
> Importing: Pystone.st
>
> undefined:761
> this.setup(this);
> ^
> TypeError: Property 'setup' of object #<SmalltalkMethodContext> is not a
> function
> It seems to be complaining that "setup" is not a method of
> SmalltalkMethodContext.
> When I look at the definition of SmalltalkMethodContext in boot.js, sure
> enough,
> I see no definition of setup to match the call on line 761 of boot.js.
>
> I'm using version v0.8.18 of nodejs, if that make any difference.
>
> Can someone explain?

Re: trying to get nodejs examples to run

Herby Vojčík
1. Fill an issue (so there is a remainder to recompile examples).
2. Try use the last commit with old compiler toolchain (I tagged it in
my fork herby/amber with tag 'legacy').

Herby

Steve Beisner wrote:

> I've tried running make in the top level amber directory,
> in the examples directory, and in the examples/nodejs/hello
> directory, but in all case get errors;
> The compile complains of no definitiion of
> "setup" for class SmalltalkMethodContext.
>
> I also tried the tree for the zip file download version with
> the same results as for the github "git clone ..." version.
>
> On Friday, February 15, 2013 2:17:22 PM UTC-6, Herby wrote:
>
>     The internal compiler toolchain has changed a few days ago and these
>     examples are not yet recompiled. Try to run make in its directory, it
>     may help.
>
>     Herby
>
>     Steve Beisner wrote:
>      > I've tried both *examples/nodejs/hello* and
>     *examples/nodejs/pystone*.
>      > Should these work in the current version (cloned from github)?
>      > In both cases. during the "make" step I get a traceback that
>     includes this:
>      > ...
>      > ...
>      > Compiler loaded
>      > Compiling collected .st files
>      > Importing: Pystone.st
>      >
>      > undefined:761
>      > this.setup(this);
>      > ^
>      > TypeError: Property 'setup' of object #<SmalltalkMethodContext>
>     is not a
>      > function
>      > ...
>      > ...
>      > It seems to be complaining that "setup" is not a method of
>      > SmalltalkMethodContext.
>      > When I look at the definition of SmalltalkMethodContext in
>     boot.js, sure
>      > enough,
>      > I see no definition of setup to match the call on line 761 of
>     boot.js.
>      >
>      > I'm using version v0.8.18 of nodejs, if that make any difference.
>      >
>      > Can someone explain?
>      >
>      > --
>      > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>      > Groups "amber-lang" group.
>      > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
>     send
>      > an email to [hidden email] <javascript:>.
>     <https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out>.
>      >
>      >

Re: trying to get nodejs examples to run

Steve Beisner
Thanks!

    Steve Beisner wrote:
     > I've tried both *examples/nodejs/hello* and
    *examples/nodejs/pystone*.
     > Should these work in the current version (cloned from github)?
     > In both cases. during the "make" step I get a traceback that
    includes this:
     > Compiler loaded
     > Compiling collected .st files
     > Importing: Pystone.st
     >
     > undefined:761
     > this.setup(this);
     > ^
     > TypeError: Property 'setup' of object #<SmalltalkMethodContext>
    is not a
     > function
     > It seems to be complaining that "setup" is not a method of
     > SmalltalkMethodContext.
     > When I look at the definition of SmalltalkMethodContext in
    boot.js, sure
     > enough,
     > I see no definition of setup to match the call on line 761 of
    boot.js.

     > I'm using version v0.8.18 of nodejs, if that make any difference.
     >
     > Can someone explain?

    <https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out>.

Re: trying to get nodejs examples to run

Manfred Kröhnert
I added an issue on GitHub:

Best,
Manfred

    Steve Beisner wrote:
     > I've tried both *examples/nodejs/hello* and
    *examples/nodejs/pystone*.
     > Should these work in the current version (cloned from github)?
     > In both cases. during the "make" step I get a traceback that
    includes this:
     > Compiler loaded
     > Compiling collected .st files
     > Importing: Pystone.st
     >
     > undefined:761
     > this.setup(this);
     > ^
     > TypeError: Property 'setup' of object #<SmalltalkMethodContext>
    is not a
     > function
     > It seems to be complaining that "setup" is not a method of
     > SmalltalkMethodContext.
     > When I look at the definition of SmalltalkMethodContext in
    boot.js, sure
     > enough,
     > I see no definition of setup to match the call on line 761 of
    boot.js.

     > I'm using version v0.8.18 of nodejs, if that make any difference.
     >
     > Can someone explain?

Re: trying to get nodejs examples to run

Manfred Kröhnert
Hi Steve,

there are some fixes to the Amber compiler in the grunt branch.
Using this version everything compiles fine.
Once some other issues are resolved this branch will get merged into master.

Best,
Manfred