turning off the toolbar

larrry
Hi,
I want to test my app with the toolbar removed. I found several suggestions for doing this in the documentation that seem to be out of date. For example, from Dynamic Web Development with Seaside, I see:

Alternatively you can use the configuration interface: In the configuration of any application select Application Defaults and click on Configure. This opens an editor on the settings that are common to all registered applications. Remove WADevelopmentConfiguration from the list of inherited configurations.easide,

However, there is no "application defaults" button on my config page.

Also I saw this suggestion, from the Seaside How To:

How do I remove the tool bar?

Set the value of "Deployment Mode" to true using the dispatcher editor in the application configuration. This can be also done programatically in the #initialize method of the application’s root component.

initialize
| app |
app := self registerAsApplication: 'app-name'.
app preferenceAt: #deploymentMode put: true
When I do that, I get an error saying that the key #deploymentMode was not found.

The seaside book contains another approach, to execute:

WAAdmin applicationDefaults
    removeParent: WADevelopmentConfiguration instance.

But I hesitate to do that one, since there's no instruction provided on how to un-do it later.

Is there an easy way to do this so that the toolbar can be easily restored later?

thanks.

RE: turning off the toolbar

Robert Sirois
Remove WAToolDecoration (you'll see it on the config screen of your app).

RS

Re: turning off the toolbar

Lukas Renggli
I will fix it tonight in the book. Thanks for reporting.

Lukas

On 16 September 2011 16:14, Larry White <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I want to test my app with the toolbar removed. I found several suggestions
> for doing this in the documentation that seem to be out of date. For
> example, from Dynamic Web Development with Seaside, I see:
> Alternatively you can use the configuration interface: In the configuration
> of any application select Application Defaults and click on Configure. This
> opens an editor on the settings that are common to all registered
> applications. Remove WADevelopmentConfiguration from the list of inherited
> configurations.easide,
> However, there is no "application defaults" button on my config page.
> Also I saw this suggestion, from the Seaside How To:
>
> How do I remove the tool bar?
>
> Set the value of "Deployment Mode" to true using the dispatcher editor in
> the application configuration. This can be also done programatically in
> the #initialize method of the application’s root component.
>
> initialize
>
>     | app |
>
>     app := self registerAsApplication: 'app-name'.
>
>     app preferenceAt: #deploymentMode put: true
>
> When I do that, I get an error saying that the key #deploymentMode was not
> found.
> The seaside book contains another approach, to execute:
> WAAdmin applicationDefaults
>     removeParent: WADevelopmentConfiguration instance.
> But I hesitate to do that one, since there's no instruction provided on how
> to un-do it later.
> Is there an easy way to do this so that the toolbar can be easily restored
> later?
> thanks.

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: turning off the toolbar

Lukas Renggli
> I want to test my app with the toolbar removed. I found several suggestions
> for doing this in the documentation that seem to be out of date. For
> example, from Dynamic Web Development with Seaside, I see:
> Alternatively you can use the configuration interface: In the configuration
> of any application select Application Defaults and click on Configure. This
> opens an editor on the settings that are common to all registered
> applications. Remove WADevelopmentConfiguration from the list of inherited
> configurations.easide,
> However, there is no "application defaults" button on my config page.

Hmm, actually the description in the Seaside book is fully accurate.
It works precisely as described.

> The seaside book contains another approach, to execute:
> WAAdmin applicationDefaults
>     removeParent: WADevelopmentConfiguration instance.
> But I hesitate to do that one, since there's no instruction provided on how
> to un-do it later.

You replace #removeParent: with #addParent:

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: turning off the toolbar

larrry

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 12:50 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I want to test my app with the toolbar removed. I found several suggestions
> for doing this in the documentation that seem to be out of date. For
> example, from Dynamic Web Development with Seaside, I see:
> Alternatively you can use the configuration interface: In the configuration
> of any application select Application Defaults and click on Configure. This
> opens an editor on the settings that are common to all registered
> applications. Remove WADevelopmentConfiguration from the list of inherited
> configurations.easide,
> However, there is no "application defaults" button on my config page.

Hmm, actually the description in the Seaside book is fully accurate.
It works precisely as described.

Not on my machine. :)  I rechecked and there is nothing on my config page labeled "Application Defaults".

> The seaside book contains another approach, to execute:
> WAAdmin applicationDefaults
>     removeParent: WADevelopmentConfiguration instance.
> But I hesitate to do that one, since there's no instruction provided on how
> to un-do it later.

You replace #removeParent: with #addParent:

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: turning off the toolbar

Jon Paynter-2
Im looking to do the same thing with my application.

But one thing thats unclear:  In previous versions of seaside (2.6 for me), there was a #deploymentMode setting that turned off the toolbar and changed how the error handling worked, namely it wouldnt open a walkback in the image, but display it in the webpage.

Ive turned the toolbar off following the instructions in this thread.  But how can I set things up so any errors display the normal walkback page in the users browser and never open an error notifier in the image.  When this happens on my dev PC its fine, and desireable.  but when it happens in the headless image running on our server, the image shuts down which is very bad.

Is there a way to accomplish this without writing custom error handlers?

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Larry White <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 12:50 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I want to test my app with the toolbar removed. I found several suggestions
> for doing this in the documentation that seem to be out of date. For
> example, from Dynamic Web Development with Seaside, I see:
> Alternatively you can use the configuration interface: In the configuration
> of any application select Application Defaults and click on Configure. This
> opens an editor on the settings that are common to all registered
> applications. Remove WADevelopmentConfiguration from the list of inherited
> configurations.easide,
> However, there is no "application defaults" button on my config page.

Hmm, actually the description in the Seaside book is fully accurate.
It works precisely as described.

Not on my machine. :)  I rechecked and there is nothing on my config page labeled "Application Defaults".

> The seaside book contains another approach, to execute:
> WAAdmin applicationDefaults
>     removeParent: WADevelopmentConfiguration instance.
> But I hesitate to do that one, since there's no instruction provided on how
> to un-do it later.

You replace #removeParent: with #addParent:

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: turning off the toolbar

Julian Fitzell-2
WAAdmin applicationExceptionHandlingDefaults at: #exceptionHandler
put: WAHtmlErrorHandler

(someone should update the book. I can't find anything about this at
http://book.seaside.st/book/advanced/deployment/deployment-preparing )

Julian